U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,801 times

Advertisements

I am currently looking for a residence between Manayunk and Wissahickon. I am not familar with the Philadelphia area and my wife will be commuting/walking from Wissahickon train station or Manayunk (depending where we buy) to Center City. She could be working some later hours and I am wondering how people feel about both stations and commuting during the evening or on weekends. I am leaning towards Wissahickon because you seem to get a bit more for your price but I am not sure of the demogrpahic or type or town it is. I am concerned because it seems East falls and Manayunk are a bit more up and coming and I am not sure about Wissahickon. We are a younger couple so we will be looking to take the advantages of main street but also want to be able to walk to main street safely without worry.

also how are the schools in the area? what type of demogrpahic are they?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 06:55 PM

5,583 posts, read 10,090,396 times
The Wissahickon station is located where Main Street, Kelly Drive, Fairmount Park and Ridge Avenue converge. It's a pretty safe neighborhood, kind of straddles East Falls and Manayunk. Be prepared to walk steeply uphill to get to the residential area there. At the bottom of the hill is a diner and movie theaters, but the main Main Street attractions will involve a good 10-15 minute walk. There's a few blocks in between that don't have much going on, but there is pretty regular traffic so it doesn't feel isolated.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:17 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,156,494 times
It is a pretty safe area. Like the previous poster said it can be very hilly and IMO it resembles more like a neighborhood in Pittsburgh both in look and feel than in Philadelphia. If you are not used to it, it can be a little challenging walking up those hills in winter weather. Otherwise it is a great choice to live.However it is a bit more family oriented than Manayunk. Lots of oldtimers live there. In fact my mother was born and raised on Osborn St between Ridge and Manayunk Aves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or