U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 AM

120 posts, read 236,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgers12 View Post
I recently took a short trip to Philadelphia. The city was pretty good, I enjoyed myself. We stayed at a hotel in Center City. I'm from New York City and there were some things that were similar. I liked it.

I'm thinking about moving to Philadelphia in the long term, but there a some questions I have.

1. Where is the Jewish Community? (I know Philadelphia has a Jewish community in Center City, but what about in other parts)
2. Are there any good City schools in Philadelphia? (Most City schools are overcrowded and preform poorly, but are there good schools in the city?)
What borough are you from and what felt similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
To the OP, this thread has a lot of information for you.

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...sh-philly.html

and this

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...ion-areas.html

and this

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...y-anymore.html

Old 04-28-2013, 09:36 AM

22,381 posts, read 33,156,333 times
The OP posted 4 years ago

Old 04-28-2013, 01:10 PM

7,473 posts, read 10,234,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviz View Post
Dear all
My name is Avi and I am from The Hebrew University in Jerusalem. I am a professor in Dentistry and I will be visiting Temple University next year from September the 29th (2013) till 31st of May 2014. I am Shomer Kashrut and I am looking for a furnished small department for rent during this period next to a synagogue (preferable but not must in the city center). I will be for two weeks during the summer for arrangements. If you can help me find the right place please email me to: aviz@hadassah.org.il.
Thanks
Avi
If you want to be walking distance from a traditionally Orthodox synagogue in a nice area that's also convenient to Temple, you basically have three choices: Penn Wynne (Beth Hamedrosh) or Bala-Cynwyd (Young Israel; Lower Merion Synagogue) on the Main Line; Elkins Park (Young Israel) in the Lower Old York Road region; and Western Cherry Hill (Sons of Israel) in South Jersey.

Penn Wynne is a short park-and-ride from the Wynnewood train station. It's generally walkable and there's a JCC and kosher pizza shop nearby. Bala-Cynwyd is extremely walkable and has businesses catering to the Orthodox community as well--if you live close enough to the train (either Bala or Cynwyd stations), you can walk there and take Septa to work without having to schlep very far to shul on Saturdays.

Young Israel of Elkins Park is close to the Melrose Park train station. Melrose/Elkins Park is also a walkable residential area, but there's a bit less in the way of businesses.

The area surrounding Cherry Hill's sons of Israel is a patchwork of subdivisions, strip malls, and big box stores. Sons of Israel itself is located in one of these subdivisions, which, itself is walkable. If you can find a house for rent there, you're golden. Otherwise, you may have to trudge across anywhere non-limited access highways in order to get to shul. There's an Amtrak station nearby as well.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:02 PM

512 posts, read 876,768 times
There is no amtrak in South Jersey only NJT. Isnt there orthodox synagogues in Old City/Society Hill? I remember going to a service there in the late 90's.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:11 PM

7,473 posts, read 10,234,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
There is no amtrak in South Jersey only NJT. Isnt there orthodox synagogues in Old City/Society Hill? I remember going to a service there in the late 90's.
There's a train station though in addition to the high speed line right? That's what I'm probably thinking of.

There are a couple "traditional" synagogues in CC, which is a mish mash of everything--not somewhere your typical person who uses terms like "shomer kashrut" would go. Maybe there were some truly Orthodox synagogues close by in the past.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:45 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The OP posted 4 years ago
Don't you just HATE when that happens? Makes me feel like a dummy when I miss that.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:06 PM

400 posts, read 554,782 times
The OP was from years ago, but Aviz posted today (resurrecting an old thread) so your words of wisdom were very helpful for him. Very helpful, guys, good job.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:08 PM

275 posts, read 409,317 times
They're among the best and the smartest! What a fantastic new museum in Center City East!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia