U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 10:45 AM

112 posts, read 345,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedgold View Post
thanks for the replies...we seem to have narrowed it down to either fishtown or graduate hospital. how safe are these respective areas? In fishtown, we were looking for stuff closer to the girard el station, and it seemed pretty safe around there. we didn't get a chance to see graduate hospital, but the places we're looking at are below washington avenue, near point breeze (is this still graduate hospital?)

which area would be better in terms of safety/finding a roommate?
In terms of resale, I think Graduate Hospital would be a safer bet because it's pretty close to Rittenhouse sq. Also, you said you wanted to be close to nightlife/bars... it's pretty close Bella Vista/South st/Italian Market area. In terms of safety, it's ok. There are some bad pockets but generally, the area is undergoing a good change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 01:52 PM

101 posts, read 353,244 times
haha, yes point breeze is not the graduate hospital area. south of washington ave. is much different than graduate hospital. IMO the graduate hospital area kinda ends around catherine st.

for the money, fishtown is your best bet.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 4,960 times
Default best neighborhood

I've lived in the fishtown/port richmond area for around 4 years now and it's really affordable. I've seen the neighborhood change through the years (lots of young newcomers rolling in). I have never felt unsafe or threatened and have enjoyed being so close to shopping/restaurants and public trans. I live closer to lehigh ave between aramingo and richmond streets and know that there are quite a few homes for sale in this area closer to your price point.

A few things within walking distance that are great:

Memphis taproom (great food & hipster hang)
stocks bakery (amazing)
tacconelli's (REAL italian pizza)
Lots of new little restaurants and bars popping up along girard
the trolly runs up and down richmond street and will take you to the Girard L. I usually ride my bike to the L though (or to Northern liberties for dinner or a drink).

You're a very short car/bike ride from all the fantastic restaurants in Northern Liberties and also the shopping in Port Richmond (a fairly new Target which I frequent).

Hope this helps!!

Old 03-10-2009, 02:45 PM

149 posts, read 537,926 times
Fairmount/Art Museum.....

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-11-2009 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: Sorry, we can't advertise realtor contact info.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:49 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,757,287 times
Your search for a place to purchase may be upsetting if you don't first look around...All the areas you list including the Art Museum area can be had if you just ait and see...I am saying this through experience. Rent, search for an appropriate place then make a decision on where you want to purchase. You also need to know that Phila has the highest trasnfer tax that cannot be written off. 4+% of any amount in and out to me is totally unforgiving.

And I do agree that Stocks Bakery is the very best around...The bakery sells only pound cakes and I believe they are to die for...hahahahaha

Good luck and when students leave the city for home after the summer more opportunities will appear for you to select...

Old 03-24-2009, 05:31 PM

5 posts, read 9,827 times
Not to thread jack but I'm in a similar situation. I'm an Asian American looking for a place but I've heard that Fishtown/"New Kensington" isn't so inviting. Should I look elsewhere?

Old 03-27-2009, 05:20 PM

389 posts, read 1,003,387 times
Fishtown is pretty decent, imo. At least the parts I've been. Some really nice LARGE homes, decent bars (Johnny Brenda's), shopping (well I usually go to Port Richmond, but it's close by). All you have to do is drive around the neighborhood and you can pretty much tell right away which parts are great to live in and which should be avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia