U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:57 PM

77 posts, read 472,704 times

Advertisements

Thanks. I booked on Megabus. Boltbus and Megabus were both booked during morning, but I got a seat for afternoon. I guess I gotta reserve earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 02:59 AM

5,805 posts, read 8,768,810 times
I would go either Bolt or Mega Bus if I could: because they have newer buses and the Trips are NON-STOP I've been able to make the Philly-NYC in 90mins on some trips..

SEPTA/NJT Train Combo - Is EXTREMELY SLOWWWWW!!!! Way too many stops on Both Lines takes close to 2hr 30 mins to get to From one end to the other, and that's only if you're able to make the transfer in Trenton with little to no Wait time...And OH if NJT or SEPTA is running late neither will wait for the other meaning your screwd by an Hr.

Greyhound - Is problably the Best option if you plan to come back late and has a cheap 20$ roundtrip ticket if you by online... Be Warned Though...Greyhound IMO is bottom of barrell service of buses...

- They dont believe on running on a set schedule, if you're suppose to leave at 10pm dont expect the bus to actually leave until 10:15 10:30...

- The help at the terminals have the worst STREET Additudes you'll ever encounter in Public Transit.

- They have a habit of selling 200 tickets for one bus and bumping folks to the next bus, so get to the line early.

- Unlike Mega, Bolt, and Chinatown, certain trip on Greyhound need to stop in both MT Laurel and Camden...Some trips are NON Stop but those are few and far between.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:14 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,561,872 times
Quote:
Greyhound - Is problably the Best option if you plan to come back late and has a cheap 20$ roundtrip ticket if you by online... Be Warned Though...Greyhound IMO is bottom of barrell service of buses...
ha! very true. i had a friend from Manhattan visit us in Philly. he took the Greyhound but the bus broke down in Jersey and, apparently, no one was allowed to get out of the bus. he called us in a panic and said that he was stuck in a place called "Cherry Hills" lol

Old 03-10-2009, 11:21 AM

544 posts, read 463,028 times
I'm suprised people don't like the Chinatown buses. My SO and I take them quite often to get to NYC and DC. I have never had a problem. Not sure why you need your bus driver to speak english...

I have also heard good things about Bolt and Megabus as well but never experienced them first hand.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:48 PM

8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I'm suprised people don't like the Chinatown buses. My SO and I take them quite often to get to NYC and DC. I have never had a problem. Not sure why you need your bus driver to speak english...

I have also heard good things about Bolt and Megabus as well but never experienced them first hand.
I took a Chinatown bus to DC on several occasions. I used to get there in blazing speed: 2.5 hours. In fact, it was too fast; I once observed the speedometer at 90mph. Even at that speed, the drivers used to hound the cars in front of them until they relented and moved out of the way. And then there were also the unscheduled highway stops for gas - couldn't that have been taken care of before the trip? - as well as the occasional extra stop on the outskirts of the Baltimore Travel Plaza. I'd assume that Mega and Bolt were more professional and safety-conscious, although I have also never experienced either of them.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:49 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,854,753 times
I believe there is an insurance issue with the Chinatown buses. Not so with Bolt or Mega.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:14 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,769,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPointy View Post
Hmm Boltbus is full tomorrow morning, any other similar bus services ?
How about the chinatown bus? does this still run?

Old 03-11-2009, 11:24 AM

250 posts, read 825,320 times
Can you drive halfway to Hamilton Station in NJ? Park and ride there, and you'll be on the train for less time, and avoid most of the vehicular traffic concerns around New York.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:45 PM

77 posts, read 472,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayfan View Post
Can you drive halfway to Hamilton Station in NJ? Park and ride there, and you'll be on the train for less time, and avoid most of the vehicular traffic concerns around New York.
I dont have a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
I believe there is an insurance issue with the Chinatown buses. Not so with Bolt or Mega.
What is this insurance issue ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
IGreyhound IMO is bottom of barrell service of buses...

- They dont believe on running on a set schedule, if you're suppose to leave at 10pm dont expect the bus to actually leave until 10:15 10:30...

I ended up taking Megabus; and I did not have a good experience.
For Philly->NYC, the bus left philly 1hr30min late
For the return trip, the left 30 min late.

Is this standard for Megabus ? Do they follow their website publised times or is it published time+15 min or something ?

Old 12-18-2009, 03:48 PM

6 posts, read 15,418 times
philly has some of the best public transportation and so does new york they are the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or