U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:26 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,479,561 times

Advertisements

Greyhound has upgraded their philly-NY route so it now offers more leg room and free wifi. Greyhound buses may have more of a tendency to be late, in part, because it's part of a national bus system so if passengers from vermont are running late, they may hold the bus. not true for chinatown, bolt (owned by greyhound), and megabus which run express and have no guaranteed connections. greyhound was bought out in 2006 by Stagecoach in the UK. while I've never had any real problems with the chinatown buses, there have been issues, though one shouldn't overlook the impact they've had on the industry. the entire northeast bus market has been radically changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 12:34 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,303,321 times
Anyone taken Megabus to DC? I was coming back from the Wegmans in CH last week and saw a Megabus headed east on Route 70 saying - "Washington, DC"

It's the wrong direction so i thought maybe it was really headed for NYC or maybe the trip to DC involves a stop in Cherry Hill somewhere.

Just curious b/c i've done the chinatown bus to DC a few times and was considering trying Megabus but I don't want to do it if the trip is longer.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:56 PM

8,048 posts, read 18,473,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Anyone taken Megabus to DC? I was coming back from the Wegmans in CH last week and saw a Megabus headed east on Route 70 saying - "Washington, DC"

It's the wrong direction so i thought maybe it was really headed for NYC or maybe the trip to DC involves a stop in Cherry Hill somewhere.

Just curious b/c i've done the chinatown bus to DC a few times and was considering trying Megabus but I don't want to do it if the trip is longer.
On a couple occasions a few years ago, the Chinatown bus that I took unexpectedly (to me at most other passengers at least) decided to cross the Ben Franklin Bridge over to New Jersey and took I-295 down to Delaware where it eventually hooked back up with I-95. I presumed this was to avoid the heavy traffic on a Friday night. So Megabus may have picked up on that "secret" route as well.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:17 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,303,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
On a couple occasions a few years ago, the Chinatown bus that I took unexpectedly (to me at most other passengers at least) decided to cross the Ben Franklin Bridge over to New Jersey and took I-295 down to Delaware where it eventually hooked back up with I-95. I presumed this was to avoid the heavy traffic on a Friday night. So Megabus may have picked up on that "secret" route as well.
interesting. thanks.

I still don't understand how that's faster.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:33 PM

250 posts, read 825,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post

I think MegaBus and Boltbus prefer routing via Exit 4/NJ Turnpike or I-295 via Rte. 73 & 38/70 to Philadelphia, over taking I-95.
Perhaps because I-95 PA is only 2 lane, more congestion prone and/or windey?

And same with Philadelphia to New York northbound. The buses prefer routing through Mt.Laurel/Exit 4 Turnpike, over routing via Bristol, PA to take the the Bristol Pike, or via Trenton, to Exit 6 route as its somewhat convoluted, before continuing to the Turnpike.

While it crosses the Cherry Hill/Mt.Laurel area before taking the highway, MegaBus however doesn't stop anywhere in Southern NJ to pick up more passengers.

Last edited by subwayfan; 12-22-2009 at 02:07 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 02:41 PM

250 posts, read 825,283 times
The big negative about MegaBus or Boltbus is when it is running late, and one is standing at the curbside for it, in inclement weather.

It happened to a friend of mine recently, who was in NY waiting for the bus to arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or