Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 11:01 AM

4 posts, read 9,527 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have seen some similar post to this but they were a few years old so I thought I'd create a new one with our specifics.

My husband is looking for jobs in Wilmington and we're wondering where we should live. Our original plan was to move to Philadelphia (suburbs) But he now thinks he might want to work in Wilmington so now we're also considering living there. But if we live in PA where should we live? What area's are nice and have an ok commute into Wilmington. We're relocating from Connecticut because it is just too expensive here.

We are a young family with a 2 1/2 year old and one on the way. We want a suburban area but close to the city (philly) We want good schools, because my so will be starting in a few years.

Not positive on our price range just yet but we'll likely be able to afford $350K-$450K.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 11:10 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
We lived in Garnet Valley for 6 years. Our backyard was the state line and I think more people commuted to Wilmington and Northern Delaware locations then into Philadelphia.Garnet Valley School District Great schools. The downside is that it pretty much defines sprawl. There is shopping (lots of shopping) but no main street or a central meeting place except for schools, churches and stores. That was fine for us, our neighbors were friendly and welcoming and because the bulk of the neighborhoods are less then 10 years old, it's easy to make friends.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:27 AM

219 posts, read 877,667 times
See my post below " An unthinkable commute"

I'll be commuting from west Phili to Wilmington, and the reactions I've gotten have been pretty reasonable as far as the drive goes.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:42 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
A quick refresher:

A Phillie is a professional baseball player... or sometimes a cigar. I bet more than a few players were smoking cigars following the last game of the year.

A filly is a young female horse. We probably don't see as many fillies as we used to as horse racing appears to be on the wane in the metro.

Philly is the short nickname for Philadelphia.

(It's all good. I still have trouble spelling Cincinnati - is it two n's or or two t's? - to the dismay of my friends from Ohio. )

Old 03-12-2009, 11:50 AM

HA! Tone509- I'm glad I had it right, thought most people knew that. LOL

Toobusytoday- Thanks I'll check that area out.

OuttaFlorida- Will do! Thanks.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:42 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
Philly is the short nickname for Philadelphia

Tone - could you please sticky that>

Old 03-12-2009, 01:54 PM

newmarlig- what's your point of posting that on my post?? and tone also, I don't get it. I didn't make the error.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:00 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
Sorry - I just saw Tone's post and was responding to that. He was replying to Outtaflorida. It's just something that annoys me.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:41 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Taxes are cheaper and housing prices are lower in Delaware compared to Pa. There are some very nice communities in Delaware it might be worth looking into, do note that the public schools in DEl are a notch or two below PA's public schools.

One of the best school districts in Pa. (Unionville-Chadds Ford) sits on the PA/Del border 20 minutes to Wilmington.I would look into the Unionville-Chadds Ford area which is just west of Toobusytoday's excellent recommendation(Garnet Valley) .

The West Chester/Westtown/Thornbury/West Goshen area is another winner and is the next set of communities to the north of Chadds Ford and Garmet Valley.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia