U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 PM

17 posts, read 51,155 times

Advertisements

I have a dilemma, let me tell you about it. (I'll make it brief)

I'm an aspiring Photographer and musician and I'm moving to Philadelphia in May to go to The Art Institute of Philadelphia. I'm really excited, but my only worry is that I'll have to put my dreams of being a successful musician (successful on my own terms) on hold for 4 years. By then, I'll be 24.

I have an undying passion (sounds romantic, doesn't it? lol) to be a successful musician and that's been my dream for a very long time. I'm afraid that if I go to school to major in Photography, that I'll never accomplish my real dreams. Going to school for music is NOT an option, please don't ask why.

I know it's not possible to live out to dreams at once and I feel like I have to decide between the 2. Photography OR Music? I'm not asking for you to make the decision for me, I'm asking for your experience and/or advice.

All is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 07:15 AM

3,299 posts, read 10,753,702 times
I'm not sure what kind of music you are into, but you could always try going to open mic nights or joining an orchestra. I knew a music teacher who drove out to Reading once a week to play.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:26 AM

9,254 posts, read 14,286,242 times
Why will you have to put your dreams of being a musician on hold for 4 years? I don't know what kind of music you're talking about or what instrument(s) you play but I would think that moving to Philly would open up loads of potiental musical options, even if you're not going to school for it, you could take advantage of it in your free time. I guess I'm not really getting the full picture here though - maybe you're not talking about modern music you could play at open mic nights around Philly. But still, I would think a big city would be an ideal place to make connections in the music the industry.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 AM

4,100 posts, read 7,498,504 times
I'm with PA. Go to school and develop more musically on your downtime. Plenty of people occupy themselves with more than one passion at a time. Growing professionally with your photography doesn't have to mean taking a 4 year hiatus from your music. Philly may very well be a good place to do both.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:51 PM

I play rock music. What are some ways that I can juggle both college AND music? Music is not a hobby for me, it really is my life and I know it sounds cheesy, but I want to "make it big" and I want to be able to have time to perfect my craft without dedicating all of my time towards school. Maybe I'm not being open-minded enough, but I don't see how I can make time for both. I seriously want to go to school (for Photography), but I also want to have a band and "make it".

Old 03-18-2009, 06:18 AM

I'd hit open mics in the area, meet & network with people, and build a band. My uncle had a full-time job and then would go off to play with his band at night or on weekends. I also have a cousin who goes to AI in San Franscisco who now also has a band (they play at industrial and electronica clubs and are going to record a CD). In four years, not only will you "know people", but they'll know you too and you can build from there.

Also, 24 isn't ancient. You're making me feel old and I'm only 23!

Old 03-18-2009, 08:22 AM

9,254 posts, read 14,286,242 times
I hate to be a downer or doubt your talent, but making it big in the music industry just isn't very realistic. I'm not saying you should give up on it but you need something to fall back on so I still think you should go to school for photography and work on the things juniperbleu suggested in your free time. That may not be ideal, you may not have as much time for music as you like - but you have to be prepared in case the music doesn't work out.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:42 AM

I forgot to add, but you can also take advantage of Philadelphia's location and branch out to other cities like NY or Baltimore. You generally won't have class every day, so you can make easy daytrips to either of these for a gig.

As for "making it big", it is extremely difficult and unless you get really really really lucky, it'll probably take more than 4 years anyway. I understand the need to give it a shot, I know a lot who do the same. Also, if you do land an awesome record deal, there's nothing saying that you can't then put off school and go crazy. You're only 20, and despite the way things may look now, the rest of your life will not be determined in the next 4 years (or 5, 10, even 15). Rock stars are allowed to be over 25.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:43 PM

lol "Rock stars are allowed to be over 25"

Old 03-19-2009, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,960 times
You remind me of myself when I moved to Philly to pursue music when I was 19. I was only interested in making it big as quickly as possible...and on my own terms. Its seemed much easier than it actually was for me.

This is not the advice that I would have wanted to hear when I moved here...but I think if you're really as passionate about music as you say you are then you will learn the way of the industry eventually anyway because you'll just keep trying and you will go through what I have. Nothing comes easy.

The only advice I can offer you is to be patient and diligent. I've had some great success in my career with my music being featured all over TV and having gained 'recognition' from music execs in big fancy offices with terrible unfair record deals that I couldn't justify signing...so I stuck with a great indie label. And they've taken better care of me than any major label would.

Work hard and keep writing but don't put your life on hold (school, relationships ect...) while waiting for your big break. It's a very dangerous and time consuming mentality to have. Read this article...its spot on:

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

Most of the new bands out there who are 'blowing up' still live in a tiny closet sized apartment in Brooklyn and struggle to pay the bills. Be smart and always make it about the music never about 'hitting it big'. Cultivate your passion for other forms of creativity. Photography seems like a great way for you to do that. I've gotten into cooking and make-up artistry and I'm still kicking ass in the studio and on stage but the pressure isn't there. I'm doing what I love without a music executive breathing down my neck and I'm happier than I was biting my nails waiting for my manager to call with 'news'.

I moved to Philly at 19 and am now 27. You'll get there if you keep a good attitude and find yourself some great guys to vibe with...

I started out at Fergie's open mic, World Cafe Live UPstairs, The Fire, Tin Angel, If you play rock, you should play the Khyber. Get up to NYC as often as you can to gig. Start small and only listen to the feedback from trusted friends and fellow artists.

Best wishes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or