U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:36 PM

316 posts, read 886,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH Montrose View Post
4. We looked at Lower Moreland(not into Upper) vs. Abington and although we thought the Lower Moreland school district was marginally better, and smaller, we thought for the $ spent, Rydal offered the nicest housing stock, neighborhoods...is there any reason to think this might change over time? In fact, in finding Rydal, that took Bucks Cty out of the equation bc it was just a nice suburb, with older homes instead of McMansions...am I looking at this wrong? Is Abington school district on the way up or way down?

Thanks so much for your advice, this is SO helpful!!!
Your impressions of Rydal and Abington are correct, great stable schools, still award winning. Definitely older homes and not many McMansions. Its a great place to live, one that is likely not to disappoint on all your key points.

There's certainly nothing wrong with some of the Bucks County areas but they take you further away from CC and other activities than Rydal does, something that I think is a concern for you. As for the work commute, I would say depending on where you are in Rydal the commute to NE airport is less than 15 minutes. I can make it from Rydal to Blvd/Red Lion in 10 minutes most days (because of lights I would say 12 minutes to Blvd/Grant).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 10:16 PM

183 posts, read 575,965 times
Another vote for Lower Bucks Co and Pennsbury schools.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:51 AM

271 posts, read 1,306,275 times
Rydal/Abington area is very stable & not likely to change. Very good schools as well and not as pricey or snobby as Lower Merion or Radnor. That would be the main pluses for Rydal/abington.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:41 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,520,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesixth View Post
Rydal/Abington area is very stable & not likely to change. Very good schools as well and not as pricey or snobby as Lower Merion or Radnor. That would be the main pluses for Rydal/abington.
Don't stereotype all of us in LM as snobby; only Harriton.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:21 PM

6 posts, read 9,724 times
My family moved to PA a couple of years ago and we live in Radnor. I love where we chose to live. Our children are elementary age and we are extremely pleased with our school. There are also great pre-schools in the area. We are close to 476 & 76. Another convenient way to commute to the city is Septa -- there are train stations in Radnor, Wayne, St. David's & Strafford. If you are looking for a local realtor who specializes in Radnor, Villanova, Wayne, etc., let me know. I have a great recommendation for you. Good luck w/ your move. There are a lot of choices on the ML and I am sure whatever town you choose, you will enjoy living here.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:20 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,996,292 times
I would also recommend Haddonfield, I find that the taxes are not much more than similar towns on the PA side, and the PATCO line makes it very convienient. Haddonfield schools are consistantly ranked high.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:03 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Another vote for Rydal/Meadowbrook. It is a perfectly delightful place, so convenient and Abington schools are premium.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:00 AM

51 posts, read 146,340 times
Default Update...thank you & keep the good advice coming!!!

Many thanks to all who have replied...your input and suggestions have been invaluable.
Wanted to give all an update and ask that if you have a reaction/suggestion, by all means, let us know, I am sure it helps the entire community.
The latest is:

1.Bucks County/Newtown/Upper Makefield...nice, but just too far outside the city for us...also a little too McMansion centric for our taste and while the schools/towns were good, they were not better than the others. That option is officially OUT.

2. Main Line...somedays this feels like the best choice, somedays the worst. Due to the commute to Philly NE, the towns that work best are Gladwyne/Bryn Mawr and I say this by virtue of their proximity to Conshy State Rd/quick access to 476N...while beautiful and supposedly great schools/people, it sometimes feel that our down to earth family might get lost in the impersonal shuffle of these higher end towns? Comments welcome.

3. Haddonfield...is idyllic, has a great walking town(high value) and seems to have a very nice group of people...downside, it is in NJ and with the taxes, cost of living issues, it makes me nervous. The housing stock also varies greatly, and sometimes makes me feel like you pay alot for what you get...if you are someone that looked at Haddonfield pls let me know your pros/cons.

4. Rydal/Abington...great posts, really made me feel better about the schools/town. I have always thought the homes are the best looking of the lot, but was concerned with it being an older burb that either the schools/hood are trending downward and/or it would be hard to break into the social culture...if any opinions here, please forward.

Again, thank you for your time...this is very helpful!

Old 03-27-2009, 03:56 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Quote:

but was concerned with it being an older burb that either the schools/hood are trending downward
There is too much "old money" in Rydal and Meadowbrook for that to happen.

Quote:
and/or it would be hard to break into the social culture...
That's always a concern in an "established" community but there is no way to get around that unless you buy a tract house in a far distant "new" development where everyone starts out as equals.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:12 PM

271 posts, read 1,306,275 times
4. Rydal/Abington...great posts, really made me feel better about the schools/town. I have always thought the homes are the best looking of the lot, but was concerned with it being an older burb that either the schools/hood are trending downward and/or it would be hard to break into the social culture...if any opinions here, please forward.

If you have kids entering the school system, I think that is the main way many newcomers make their entry into any social system. You get involved with the school PTA or sports programs, other activities.

Also, if you happen to select a particularly "friendly" block on which to live, that helps! By that, I mean, you might have neighbors who make an effort to meet and greet you when you move in, & if you luck out and have children of a similar age living on the block, that can make it easier to get acquainted in any new area.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or