U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:22 AM

1,776 posts, read 3,679,103 times

Advertisements

And how about the pedestrians who jaywalk and then expect the cars to stop for them? If you pull up on them and have to brake they look at you like you have a problem. I notice this mostly in younger people, mostly ugly females.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:23 AM

112 posts, read 345,727 times
Having lived in Boston and now Philly, I think Philly drivers are worse.

1. What's with trying to beat the green light? You know... where drivers try to drive off from the red light before it turns green.

2. No respect for pedestrian crossing. This is pathetic. In general, motorists in Philly are less patient and less respectful. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:27 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
And how about the pedestrians who jaywalk and then expect the cars to stop for them? If you pull up on them and have to brake they look at you like you have a problem. I notice this mostly in younger people, mostly ugly females.
lol! that happens in every city. the ugly girl part too

Old 03-19-2009, 09:06 AM

33 posts, read 99,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
I notice this mostly in younger people, mostly ugly females.

haha, That's halarious

Old 03-19-2009, 11:23 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,769,100 times
Philly drivers (and philly people in general) are just plain aggressive, angry, and provocative. all tough looks from people. everyone's a tough guy. its as if because they live in a city, gives them the right to behave that way.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:24 PM

205 posts, read 750,755 times
Philly people may drive like jerks sometimes, but they're pretty attentive to what's going on, and the people have generally been pretty nice.

I think Miami has got to be the hardest place to drive.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:30 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,826,092 times
I think the city administration is basically anti-pedestrian. If you look at the condition of the cross-walks in most parts of the city you can hardly find them. About 10 years ago in my neighborhood at 8th & Christian the city removed the traffic light from that intersection, saying there were too many accidents from drivers running the lights. There was absolutely NO concern about the pedestrians who now had to depend on drivers for their right-of-way. That intersection is now much more dangerous if you aren't in a car. I've also noticed the anti-pedestrian traffic lights they've installed around Independence square. You get about 7 seconds of GO and then a red hand flashes STOP and counts off the seconds, sometimes as much as 18 seconds pass before the light changes. I can cross the street twice in that time. You would think that the primo tourist spot in the city would bend over backwards for the thousands of walking tourists.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:13 PM

1,740 posts, read 3,918,553 times
Philly drivers are aggressive, but the worst on the East Coast? Hartford can be tough, and Miami is pretty bad, too. I think it all depends on how a person is taught to drive and if they're instructed not only to follow the laws but to be considerate as well.

Someone mentioned bicyclists earlier. I've walk hundreds of miles throughout Philly and never had an incident with a car but I was struck twice by bicyclists who were disobeying the law.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:34 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
I had a white knuckle ride with a Napoleon type from MA once. I also drove up to CT and had people in large trucks and SUVs passing me doing 90 on narrow moutain roads...so New England gets my vote...

Old 03-19-2009, 01:42 PM

1,740 posts, read 3,918,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
I had a white knuckle ride with a Napoleon type from MA once. I also drove up to CT and had people in large trucks and SUVs passing me doing 90 on narrow moutain roads...so New England gets my vote...
I-95 through Connecticut is probably worst road I've ever driven on. "Yield" signs are a waste of sheet metal on that road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or