U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:53 PM

550 posts, read 1,876,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabwong View Post
Having lived in Boston and now Philly, I think Philly drivers are worse.

1. What's with trying to beat the green light? You know... where drivers try to drive off from the red light before it turns green.

2. No respect for pedestrian crossing. This is pathetic. In general, motorists in Philly are less patient and less respectful. Driving is a privilege, not a right.
I HATE number 1!!! i have only lived here just over one year and this drives me crazy!!!! it happens most often when that person is turning left and wants to beat the traffic going straight!!! so annoying....i live in the northeast and there are many one ways up here with lots of stop signs and VERY FEW people actually stop at the stop signs and out of those few even slow down....i almost want one of them to hit me once so they can pay the consequences.......alright, my two cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 08:51 PM

112 posts, read 345,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
I HATE number 1!!! i have only lived here just over one year and this drives me crazy!!!! it happens most often when that person is turning left and wants to beat the traffic going straight!!! so annoying....i live in the northeast and there are many one ways up here with lots of stop signs and VERY FEW people actually stop at the stop signs and out of those few even slow down....i almost want one of them to hit me once so they can pay the consequences.......alright, my two cents
Yeah... i know what you mean... Sometimes I just wanna step in front of the car and let them hit me. Then I'll theatrically fall, kicking and punching the hood of the car.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:31 AM

1,776 posts, read 3,679,103 times
Did you hear about the truck that jumped the curve and hit two people on 16th and Walnut? It was a cab that hit the truck that caused the accident. Now cab drivers- wherever the location- are bad drivers!

Old 03-23-2009, 11:44 AM

1,740 posts, read 3,918,553 times
Not to beat a dead horse, but I still think it's how a driver is taught and not the location. Yes, Philly drivers are aggressive and they love to make gestures, but they're no worse then anywhere else.

This past Friday night, after almost hitting me while I attempted to cross a street nearby here in small town Lititz, a sweetheart blow the horn at me and flipped me the finger. I waved for him to come back but he hit the gas. I guess alot of people are couragous driving 45 MPH in a two-ton vehicle.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:09 PM

1,776 posts, read 3,679,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but I still think it's how a driver is taught and not the location. Yes, Philly drivers are aggressive and they love to make gestures, but they're no worse then anywhere else.

This past Friday night, after almost hitting me while I attempted to cross a street nearby here in small town Lititz, a sweetheart blow the horn at me and flipped me the finger. I waved for him to come back but he hit the gas. I guess alot of people are couragous driving 45 MPH in a two-ton vehicle.
LOL you are right man people are tough as long as they can keep moving. That's funny.

Agreed that Philly drivers are a product of their environment. If you go to any large city, you will see that driving is on par with Philly. I tend to think that NYers are worse drivers than Philly, but they live in such a large fast moving city you gotta keep up or get left behind. It makes sense to me.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:39 AM

33,071 posts, read 61,890,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
I joked with my mother once that I leave the house like Captain Kangaroo and arrive at work like Jack Nicholson.
Me, too ... I'm all relaxed when I leave the house, but by the time I've driven 12 miles ... in 35 minutes ... I need a Xanax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickford View Post
One thing you forgot to mention about Philly drivers: the horns!
I rarely used my horn when I lived in Ohio (where drivers are courteous to a fault). Here a day doesn't go by where I don't need to honk at someone who's drifted into my lane. Did Philadelphia schools not stress the importance of staying within the lines during Coloring 101?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabwong View Post
1. What's with trying to beat the green light? You know... where drivers try to drive off from the red light before it turns green.
And you know who I've observed are the worst offenders of this? Cops.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
I've lived here 25 years as a pedestrian, and I have to say Philly drivers are pretty bad, from Septa buses that think "red" should be called "near green", to drivers who think crosswalks are "perpendicular parking". A co-worker of mine ended up on the hood of a car at 5th & Bainbridge though he wasn't hurt. He walked away from it and the driver yelled at him for breaking his mirror. My general thoughts on Philly as a pedestrian town are that it is awful. Even if you don't mind the drivers, the city lets restaurants take over most of the sidewalks with tables, which is a real hazard in Center City, bicycle laws are not enforced (yes, there is an ordinance against riding bikes on the sidewalk). I've adapted to the situation, but it has made me a more aggressive pedestrian, which is not something I am happy about. I joked with my mother once that I leave the house like Captain Kangaroo and arrive at work like Jack Nicholson.
I've lived here for 62 years and the Jersey drivers have a much worse reputation (since I was a kid). They'll cut you off without hesitation and "rude" is their middle name!

Old 03-26-2009, 07:56 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,371,572 times
Default Nah!

The Worst Drivers on the East Coast hands down. Majority of NY Drivers!!!

I do think Philly Drivers are second. But the one thing I hate about my city is the double parking.

Man....

Especially when parking spaces are available, but some putz want to double park anyways!!

Old 04-02-2009, 12:23 AM

6 posts, read 34,425 times
I really have no problem with Philly drivers. Yes they can be aggresive at times, but they can be courteous to. If you want to see driving that can scare you drive into Boston. If I see Mass. tags, or Rhode Island and Conn. I steer way clear of them. They make NYC taxi drivers look like amateurs.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,683 times
Default Nope

Philly is not on the east coast,it's inland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or