Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 06:15 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
hurray for more bike lanes!

...although i am a bit puzzled by this decision. 10th street I think is a good choice to head south on... but 13th st???

13th street in center city is already super congested, i really can't imagine that a bike lane there will be well received.

although i am of course not a city planer and know nothing about traffic flow so hopefully they know what they're doing. regardless of where it's located... i'm really happy

Agree on 13th, especially between Walnut and Pine it is now one of the more vibrant corriders, though most is pedestrian and most evening so maybe it will be good. I think the convention center blocks some of the thru-way so that may play in and the the west side of broad unless above 20th is tough with Rittenhouse. So maybe these are the best centrally located that afford continuous through-way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:08 PM

39 posts, read 110,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
I've lived here 25 years as a pedestrian, and I have to say Philly drivers are pretty bad, from Septa buses that think "red" should be called "near green", to drivers who think crosswalks are "perpendicular parking". A co-worker of mine ended up on the hood of a car at 5th & Bainbridge though he wasn't hurt. He walked away from it and the driver yelled at him for breaking his mirror. My general thoughts on Philly as a pedestrian town are that it is awful. Even if you don't mind the drivers, the city lets restaurants take over most of the sidewalks with tables, which is a real hazard in Center City, bicycle laws are not enforced (yes, there is an ordinance against riding bikes on the sidewalk). I've adapted to the situation, but it has made me a more aggressive pedestrian, which is not something I am happy about. I joked with my mother once that I leave the house like Captain Kangaroo and arrive at work like Jack Nicholson.
ABSOLUTELY NOT..the worst drivers in the country are in SOUTH FLORIDA!! And that's coming from a former Philly person (who grew up in Philly) and moved here several years ago. The first thing I noticed was how bad the drivers were here (most from NY and Long Island), but over the years so many come from South America and combined with the horrible New Yorkers it has gotten REALLY BAD!! They are not only bad but sooooo RUDE!!! I wouldn't dare walk on a sidewalk anywhere near a major road here...

Old 05-09-2011, 02:45 PM

183 posts, read 632,018 times
DC drivers are the worst. I don't curse nearly as much when driving through Philly.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 577 times
Youz are pathetic. I drove a cab in Philly for five years. All this whining and complaining on an internet forum. What a bunch of *******...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia