Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:41 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Did you really find Ardmore that snobby? I'm always debating with people on here about the snobbiness of the area and a lot them seem to think there is little to none there, whereas I have found quite a lot of pretension in the few encounters I've had there and have kind of extrapolated that that represents the majority of the Main Line population.
I've lived in Wynnewood for my entire life, and outside of a few times, I haven't found much snobbiness/pretentiousness. On the other hand, I know a lot of people who live on Long Island, and wow is it astounding how much snobbiness and pretentiousness occurs there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 09:41 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Great photos. Thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 05:40 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
nice job! You caught some beautiful sections of the city..

Old 03-24-2009, 06:32 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,806 times
Thanks everybody.

Bookmen, I believe that mural is on Locust St. It is between Rittenhouse Sq. and 16th St. for sure. I remember walking from Rittenhouse to where I worked on Locust st. and 16th. It could be on Pine or spruce though. I may have dipped south.

Orrmoble, I have started to get a few pics of Pittsburgh but haven't posted them yet. I am slow with Pittsburgh since I live there. I don't have to go out and shoot a 100 photos in like 4 hours. I get like 5 a night when I go on my walks. I just finally started to get out and take photos again now that I have longer daylight and better weather.

I found a few people that I know at the local bar to be a little snobby in Ardmore. But it isn't right for me to label the place snobby on a few people. The truth is many were very friendly, and I only lived there for like 8-9 months, so I didn't live there long enough to meet enough people.

I don't know the exact model of the camera as it is in my apartment. It is a nikon coolpix, but don't know the number. My dad gave it to me last year when he got a new Pentex.

I just set up a new pbase account yesterday. I am sick of using a free version of image gallery. I didn't put photos of cities with my old camera yet, and I got to update it more with Cleveland, and more Pittsburgh photos. But right now I have Washington, Johnstown, Columbus, Philly, and my neighborhood of Pittsburgh on it.

www.pbase.com/rowjimmy144

Old 03-24-2009, 07:56 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I just set up a new pbase account yesterday. I am sick of using a free version of image gallery. I didn't put photos of cities with my old camera yet, and I got to update it more with Cleveland, and more Pittsburgh photos. But right now I have Washington, Johnstown, Columbus, Philly, and my neighborhood of Pittsburgh on it.

www.pbase.com/rowjimmy144
You're really good at cityscapes. You got around a good part of DC, more so than the average tourist.

And yes, because I'm a geek I got excited when I saw you took a picture of my office...

Old 03-24-2009, 08:00 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
No I don't have a wide angle lens, but I really need to get one. Then I can take picture of skyscrapers and skylines much better. I tend to angle my way on the street. Some I had to stand in the middle of the street to get. It was all good until I saw some guy gunning it down Locust St. the wrong way. That is all I needed to get killed by some idiot who doesn't know how to drive for a picture.

IZThe411, yes it is one block from Lancaster. It is 3 blocks from the Ardmore Train station. It was sooooo nice to wake up, stumble to the train station, and be in C.C. in 20 minutes only a few blocks from work. Now I got to drive 35 minutes to the exurbs. It is on Cricket ave in Ardmore. A very nice place to live, but I got sick of the snobby attitude people had on the mainline. I was raised in a middle class, blue collar, suburb of Pittsburgh, and then moved to the Main line. Some of the people I met there were very down to earth though.

Those were some nice apts. There's a nice little lounge in the basement. I liked the wood foors as well. You are right, that area of the 'main line' is a little more down to earth. I think that's a cool part of the area to live in.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:29 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,438 times
Great shots. All those years working in downtown Philly and I never stop to observe the beauty of the city. I think this year I'll walk the Komen Race instead of running it so I can soak up the sights.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:11 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
I'm sure it's sounding like an echo by now, but truly great pictures, Awesomo. With all of the moaning and complaining that happens on this board regarding Philly, I think it's easy to forget -- or easy for outsiders to not even have the opportunity to understand -- what a gem of a city Philadelphia really is. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:24 PM

17 posts, read 55,832 times
Thanks for posting these pictures. It's nice to see some photos like these since I'm moving thinking about moving out there next month.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:28 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,946 times
Philly is a good city!! Take it or leave it. Every large city has it's problems!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia