Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:10 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
for what it costs for a condo here you can buy a mansion in Florida !!!
Yea, you can buy a mansion in Florida if you are working in the Northeast not Florida,lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 08:39 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times
[quote=DailyJournalist;8045403]LOL, Ocala They can keep their house in redneckville and their $8 an hour jobs.quote]

You can LOL all you wish but I assure you that teacher and electrician are hardly $8 an hour jobs.....however, Mr. DailyJournalist, is that why you left Florida......no one would pay you more than $8 an hour ? How sad that you allow your own personal failures to influence others that success and happiness can't be found there.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:23 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
Well Ocala is the epitome of a dump, so I'll side with DJ on that one...

Old 03-26-2009, 10:06 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
Quote:
If you still have a choice I'd tell you to stay where you are !!! The out of control cost of living up here, cost of real estate, high property taxes, state income taxes, CITY wage taxes, winter heating costs will quickly eat up that extra pay and more !!!
I have to agree ... to a certain degree though. While I agree Philly is expensive (and outlying areas), there are certainly bigger cities which are more expensive. But, relatively speaking, yes I feel too that its still very expensive here given our current economic situation. I feel like other cities are looking at the economy and being more realistic than we are. Perhaps this areas isn't as badly affected but it sure seems like we could lower prices for homes, rentals, gas, shopping, etc.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:12 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Exclamation Let's cease with the personal attacks...

...and get back to constructive suggestions for the OP.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Well Ocala is the epitome of a dump, so I'll side with DJ on that one...
I'd take issue with that......for those that haven't been there Ocala may not be the center of the universe but its far from a dump. Ocala is literally and factually the horse capital of the world with countless magnificent horse farms with lush green pastures shaded by large weeping williows draped in Spanish moss all surrounding a metro area that offers everything similiar to a town such as Cherry Hill has to offer.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:20 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
surrounding a metro area that offers everything similiar to a town such as Cherry Hill has to offer.
What a joke, Cherry Hill has good jobs and is in the Philly Metro, Ocala is a small hick town in the middle of nowhere.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:13 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
What a joke, Cherry Hill has good jobs and is in the Philly Metro, Ocala is a small hick town in the middle of nowhere.
Yeah, my mom's secretary moved to Ocala to live in a trailer park. Sounds 'lush' to me... LMAO

Old 03-26-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
If you remember the question here wasn't location but the cost of living difference.....those leaving Florida are in for real estate and tax sticker shock when looking for similar housing to that in Florida.....the bottom line here is that if your moving up here from florida because of a pay raise that pay raise better be pretty much double what you making in Florida to even be close to breaking even as the out of control cost of living and increased tax burden will quickly eat up any pay difference......Try reading some of the threads in the New Jersey forum.....many are from residents who are unhappy with life in New Jersey and disgusted and frustrated with taxes, taxes and more taxes.....yet you wish to bury your head in the sand and portray the cost of living here to the OP as reasonable when in reality its one of the worst areas in the United States....Camden County is one of the 13 worst in the nation for tax burdens on residents......additionally, the OP is hoping to find someplace to live with less fees on everything.....geeze....he can't even sit on the beach here without paying a fee ? I never said Ocala was Cherry Hill.....only that it was similar in size and what it had to offer....while you may wish to disagree Ocala is hardly a "hick" town. Yes, there are $8 an hour jobs in Ocala but there are professional jobs too......the main difference is the average taxes on a house down there are only $1500 and not $15,000 like Cherry Hill. {{{{ POOF }}}}....there goes that pay raise !!! All you seem intent on here is twisting facts, name calling and offering negative comments on what I offer which accomplishes nothing in helping the OP ? Your not helping this individual by telling him that the cost of living is similar.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Yeah, my mom's secretary moved to Ocala to live in a trailer park. Sounds 'lush' to me... LMAO
Just for the record there are trailer parks in Cherry Hill too.....but, since you've chosen to be very vocal on this issue I'm sure you must be very familiar with the Ocala area.....would you care to share how you gained your knowledge about the Ocala area......please tell me, other than getting second hand information from your mommy how much time have you spent there recently ?

Last edited by FlyersFan; 03-26-2009 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia