U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 7,150 times

Advertisements

My fiancee has recently been given an offer for a better paying job in the Philadelphia Area. He wouldn't have to commute to an office each day but he would have to travel to different clients offices all over the Philadelphia area, so we're kind of open to all areas around the city. We currently looking at apartments since his job is willing to pay the first months rent and its kinda short notice.

I've lived in South & Central Florida my entire life so moving to the Northeast is a really big change for me. Almost eveything in the Orlando and Pembroke Pines (suburb of Miami/Ft Lauderdale) is spread out so having to drive more than 5 minutes to a grocery store is not that big of a deal for me. Traffic doesn't bother me much since Miami and Orlando have awful traffic all day and night.

I'm looking into an area that has a Target close by (not a requirement, but its one of my obsessions lol), relatively new (nothing is too old in Florida), safe (since my fiance's new position would require him to travel a lot and I would be home alone quite a bit), lots of families, and not too far from malls, movie theaters, restaurants, etc.

I don't know if anyone knows the Orlando area, but I currently live in the Lake Nona area and am looking for something like that. (or Celebration, Hunter's Creek, or Baldwin Park)

Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited by VMAK09; 03-23-2009 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 04:51 PM

5,674 posts, read 10,248,929 times
Are you interested in the city or 'burbs? There's very little new within the city, but you can find places like you describe in some of the exurban areas, like Downingtown off the top of my head.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:57 PM

looking preferably the suburbs

thanks for that I'll look the town up

Old 03-23-2009, 05:44 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,854,753 times
You might want to look in South Jersey. Here are some Target locations there.

Target : Store Locator : Search Results

Old 03-23-2009, 05:45 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,521,899 times
Bala Cynwyd.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:50 PM

Thanks newmarlig, I've already looked them up but knowing where they are on map isn't helpful yet since I don't know where I'm at =P

There are no Super Targets in the area =(

Last edited by VMAK09; 03-23-2009 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: forgot a word

Old 03-23-2009, 06:38 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,967,012 times
Depends if you want to be close to the city or not. There is a Target in Springfield, Delaware County which puts you close to the city and train. There is one in Oaks off of 422 and is far from downtown but close to King of Prussia (one of the largest malls in the US) and all the shopping and amenities you could want.

There is also a Target in Exton which is a nice area with good proximity to Delaware and a train to Philly. Also one in Wlmington, DE which is a great place to live, tax free shopping.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:43 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,998,938 times
If you want newer apartments check out Cherry Hill, NJ and Mount Laurel, NJ.

If you want historic walkable towns with train access to Center City check out Collingswood, NJ, Haddon Township(Westmont), NJ, Haddonfield, NJ, Media, PA.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:08 AM

316 posts, read 886,917 times
It depends on what kind of budget you are looking into (especially if you are thinking of renting in an area where you later want to buy), but you could also look into the North Wales, Horsham, Warrington, and Blue Bell areas, all having some newer construction and all being closer to Targets, malls, and movie theaters.

In many cases, the newer the construction the further out you will be. Is it a problem to be far away from Center City? Will your fiance want closer proximity to the airport or 30th street station to travel?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:43 AM

5,077 posts, read 13,329,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMAK09 View Post
My fiancee has recently been given an offer for a better paying job in the Philadelphia Area. He wouldn't have to commute to an office each day but he would have to travel to different clients offices all over the Philadelphia area, so we're kind of open to all areas around the city. We currently looking at apartments since his job is willing to pay the first months rent and its kinda short notice.

I've lived in South & Central Florida my entire life so moving to the Northeast is a really big change for me. Almost eveything in the Orlando and Pembroke Pines (suburb of Miami/Ft Lauderdale) is spread out so having to drive more than 5 minutes to a grocery store is not that big of a deal for me. Traffic doesn't bother me much since Miami and Orlando have awful traffic all day and night.

I'm looking into an area that has a Target close by (not a requirement, but its one of my obsessions lol), relatively new (nothing is too old in Florida), safe (since my fiance's new position would require him to travel a lot and I would be home alone quite a bit), lots of families, and not too far from malls, movie theaters, restaurants, etc.

I don't know if anyone knows the Orlando area, but I currently live in the Lake Nona area and am looking for something like that. (or Celebration, Hunter's Creek, or Baldwin Park)

Thanks for the help in advance!
Well, hmm... if you have lived in FL pretty much all of your life we should talk. I lived in FL half of my life and then like you are doing now, I moved here. I have lived here now several years (more than I care to mention). You may already know this but unless you hear it from a fellow Floridian it can't be expressed as well.

You may have a lot of diffulty adjusting to the area, people, etc. You may and probably will take a long time acclimating yourself to the seasons vs FL weather. It took me a LONG time and still today, I detest cold weather.
The locals here are much different than those found down south and in FL. The pace here is much quicker and everyone seems to want everything now and yesterday.

I work for the military and meet people from all over while working and every single person that isn't from the north always makes the same comments about PA.
I'm sure there will be naysayers who say that I'm being harsh but I can only go by my own experiences and what others vent to me about.

On the plus side, PA offers seasons, and lots to do most of the year but if you don't like snow and cold then you will become a hermit October through May. LOL

There is a lot of other advice / comments, etc I'd love to share so if you want to know more, please send me a private message.

Good luck on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or