U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 06:15 PM

254 posts, read 530,167 times

Advertisements

That murder count just floors me. In 10 years, the total is approximately 3 - 4 thousand! How in the world can a society tolerate that? If over ten years about four thousand people can be shot to death, and there is no perceivable outcry, does that mean they were so unconnected to productive society that it makes no real difference? The sheer volume just amazes me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 08:36 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,805,651 times
Ok seriously, I won't bug about people being freaked out about the murder count.

But for pete's sakes, it's the same thing over and over. They are in LOW INCOME neighboorhoods and are tied to the DRUG GAME.

If you live in the city, get with your neighboorhood block association, volunteer, keep an eye out and bug your city councilman. If you're in the burbs......why do you care?

Old 10-23-2009, 08:42 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,805,651 times
Anyways as for the city itself. Overall it isn't doing badly.

You have your perrenial inner city troubles, crime, bad schools and what not.

Still there is some good.

Population is relatively flat overall but there has been an influx of new residents as seen in places like Fishtown and Northern Liberties.

The economy is relatively diverse with law firms, healthcare firms (particularly pharma), many highly rated college, prominent tourism and Sunoco.

Place is primed for more development once the economy bounces back (or crawls back rather).

Old 10-25-2009, 06:42 AM

136 posts, read 310,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shino306 View Post
And Philadelphians wonder why people not from here have the impression the locals here are rude or just not as friendly as in other places...Give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves.
He's just asking how Philly is doing? Just picture Rocky asking, 'Yo, Philly, how you dooin??'

Old 10-28-2009, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,510 times
how is philly for university????
La Salle
Seton Hill

Old 10-29-2009, 12:32 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
the current mayor was elected because of that out of control murder rate. he's fairly competent, which is the first since 2000. Philly's getting better again, even if it has it's problems. go Phils

Old 10-29-2009, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 17,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argiemom1 View Post
Hey people, why do you have to be so sensitive? Northbradin85 just asked a fair question. He didn't mean to offend anyone. I was also thinking of moving to the area, and frankly, would ask the same question. If he asks about Philadelphia is because he is at least interested in the city. You will probably make your city look better if you answer the question honestly and without sarcasm. Thanks.

Without sarcasm?!? Sarcasm is in the water supply, lmao, I think some people mistake the sarcasm for snootiness or surliness - lighten up people - this poster must not be from around here

Honestly though, the OP's question was legit and I agree that he is not a knucklehead.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 17,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnland View Post
That murder count just floors me. In 10 years, the total is approximately 3 - 4 thousand! How in the world can a society tolerate that? If over ten years about four thousand people can be shot to death, and there is no perceivable outcry, does that mean they were so unconnected to productive society that it makes no real difference? The sheer volume just amazes me.

People live in society's where this many people are murdered a year.
IMHO: If the people living within the communities that breed this violence (note, I didn't say ghetto), have no interest in changing that reality, how can anyone else? And, I think the American society as a whole is slipping into a more violent culture. IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or