U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2010, 05:29 PM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Reputation: 1586

Advertisements

Keep in mind that ACC is not the only game in town. There are plenty of other projects out there that are just waiting for one big anchor tennant before they can go forward (and the economy of course) If one of them beats ACC in signing that elusive tennant then ACC is on the scrap heap. IMO Cire Center south at 30th and Walnut is still the most likly winner among the new peojects. Actually when a new building does come out of the ground it often ends up being somthing no one ever heard of before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2011, 01:12 PM
 
1,030 posts, read 3,061,428 times
Reputation: 968
ACC is ugly. It's great that it is so tall, but I would prefer a few 500 foot buildings east of 12th street to fill in the skyline from the Delaware river.

We were lucky with Comcast, in that it didn't dwarf the rest of the skyline, and fit in to look about the size of Liberty One (even though it is taller.) With ACC being so big, and so pretentious, it would make the tall buildings look smaller and would completely detract from the pre-1986 skyline. Even now, these older buildings are fairly dwarfed by the post-1986 skyline.

The only way that building would fit into the skyline would be if it was perhaps in UC, or between Loews and the St. James - then it would at least help balance out the skyline - but it wouldn't in its current location, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 04:47 PM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Reputation: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
ACC is ugly. It's great that it is so tall, but I would prefer a few 500 foot buildings east of 12th street to fill in the skyline from the Delaware river.

We were lucky with Comcast, in that it didn't dwarf the rest of the skyline, and fit in to look about the size of Liberty One (even though it is taller.) With ACC being so big, and so pretentious, it would make the tall buildings look smaller and would completely detract from the pre-1986 skyline. Even now, these older buildings are fairly dwarfed by the post-1986 skyline.

The only way that building would fit into the skyline would be if it was perhaps in UC, or between Loews and the St. James - then it would at least help balance out the skyline - but it wouldn't in its current location, sorry.
I agree with you 100%. I am glad that ACC is all but dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 02:30 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,632 posts, read 12,789,064 times
Reputation: 15763
Updates on any news for the ACC can sometimes be found at:

www.skyscraperpage.com

SkyscraperCity - Powered by vBulletin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Reputation: 2669
i'd love to see it go up, but it don't wan't to be 75 yrs old when it construction begins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 PM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Reputation: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i'd love to see it go up, but it don't wan't to be 75 yrs old when it construction begins
You would rather be dead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Reputation: 2669
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
You would rather be dead?
no, but this city can't build built one 500 ft tower, let alone 2

kinda like baltimore - 2 cities that should have more towers

Last edited by john_starks; 01-04-2011 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 09:29 PM
 
Location: West Cedar Park, Philadelphia
1,225 posts, read 2,275,936 times
Reputation: 686
I'm more excited about the project to redo Market East than the ACC at this point.

imo, it will do more for the city than another tall building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Midwest
1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Reputation: 970
People get way too into to the skyscraper thing. Basically, skyscrapers look nice while driving in on the highway. Or if you live somewhere with a view of the skyline.

I just recently moved to Philadelphia - but I grew up about 90 minutes away and my family would take trips here a couple of times a year. The reason I fell in love with the city as a child was the street life - especially in center city, which is what I really only saw as a kid, but since I've moved here I've come to appreciate a bunch of other neighborhoods too.

I'd rather see 5-10 buildings that are 5-10 stories tall fill in parking or vacant lots in center city - either apartment or office buildings - with ground floor retail on the street than see just another skyscraper like every other boring city in America. What makes Philadelphia a great place is how alive the streets are - there are really very few American cities with such vibrant CBDs, and that's the reason why - there are actually things to do in the street, not people shuffling papers 500 feet in the sky. Let the midwestern cities with inferiority complexes build their skyscrapers, like they're trying to become Manhattan or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Montco PA
2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
Reputation: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post

I'd rather see 5-10 buildings that are 5-10 stories tall fill in parking or vacant lots in center city - either apartment or office buildings - with ground floor retail on the street than see just another skyscraper like every other boring city in America. What makes Philadelphia a great place is how alive the streets are - there are really very few American cities with such vibrant CBDs, and that's the reason why - there are actually things to do in the street, not people shuffling papers 500 feet in the sky. Let the midwestern cities with inferiority complexes build their skyscrapers, like they're trying to become Manhattan or something.
Yes, but Manhattan has tons of tall buildings AND street life. Philadelphia has street life and some tall buildings; it needs more of both.

I don't know why so many people have hangups about tall buildings. It must be some sort of provincial Quaker modesty thing that has been ingrained into people in this region. I'm not arguing anyone's point (in fact, I agree that Market East needs to be improved more than the vicinity of 18th & JFK), but to dismiss a tall building doesn't make sense to me. Why can't a tall building add to street life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top