U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 06:57 PM

4,745 posts, read 7,848,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
Not anymore... These days dems win the suburbs all across America, and especially in Philly... That was one of the big stories this past presidential and congressional elections.
Indeed. The days of Republican dominance in the suburbs appears to be history and actually seems to be trending toward the opposite. In the 2008 election, every "collar" county surrounding Philadelphia went Democratic by at least a 9-point margin -- and in two cases (Montgomery and Delaware Cos.) more than 20 points. This was the trend in practically every large metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 09:23 PM

9 posts, read 23,926 times
Quote:
I think an accurate statement is...EVERY large city in these United States of America is Democratic... Literally every city.

I would be shocked if there were 2 majority republican cities within the 100 largest.
1.Portland
2.Oklahoma city

I have hear they are majorly republican, I could be wrong

Old 03-25-2009, 09:28 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,521,899 times
PDX is one of the most Liberal places on earth.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I think an accurate statement is...EVERY large city in these United States of America is Democratic... Literally every city.

I would be shocked if there were 2 majority republican cities within the 100 largest.
Anchorage
Phoenix
Mesa
Scottsdale
Gilbert
Chandler
Glendale
Anaheim
Santa Ana
Colorado Springs
Jacksonville
Fort Wayne
Wichita
Oklahoma City
Tulsa
Corpus Christi
Fort Worth
Arlington
Plano
Lubbock
Virginia Beach

(Boise was #101)

There's 21, not including Boise.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:33 AM

20,325 posts, read 18,331,839 times
Philly is very liberal, which just means that one party dominates and when one party dominates, you generally have corruption. As far as the Philly suburbs, they used to be conservative but that is changing... to a degree. They are becoming less conservative but people also become less liberal when they move from Philly and NJ suburbs. Think more blue collar conservative democrat/ moderate republican and thats what its turning into. People get exposed to other people, learn new ideas, see alternatives and learn to be less lock step one party dominated. Candidates and issues dominate the Philly burbs and central Pa political scene more than any other area in the state. That's a good thing, IMO, and one can hope the rest of the state( and country) will eventually catch up.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:14 AM

1,001 posts, read 2,348,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Anchorage
Phoenix
Mesa
Scottsdale
Gilbert
Chandler
Glendale
Anaheim
Santa Ana
Colorado Springs
Jacksonville
Fort Wayne
Wichita
Oklahoma City
Tulsa
Corpus Christi
Fort Worth
Arlington
Plano
Lubbock
Virginia Beach

(Boise was #101)

no way... do you have a link?

Old 03-26-2009, 11:17 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times
Quote:
Anchorage
Phoenix
Mesa
Scottsdale
Gilbert
Chandler
Glendale

Anaheim
Santa Ana
Colorado Springs
Jacksonville
Fort Wayne
Wichita
Oklahoma City
Tulsa
Corpus Christi
Fort Worth
Arlington
Plano

Lubbock
Virginia Beach

(Boise was #101)

With all due respect, I'm not sure that those grown-up suburbs surrounding Phoenix (in orange) or Dallas-Fort Worth (in red) should count as cities... but maybe that's just me.

I'm a bit surprised to see Anaheim on that list -I thought there might be more LA influence there - but otherwise the rest of it makes sense to me.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:24 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Philly is very liberal, which just means that one party dominates and when one party dominates, you generally have corruption. As far as the Philly suburbs, they used to be conservative but that is changing... to a degree. They are becoming less conservative but people also become less liberal when they move from Philly and NJ suburbs. Think more blue collar conservative democrat/ moderate republican and thats what its turning into. People get exposed to other people, learn new ideas, see alternatives and learn to be less lock step one party dominated. Candidates and issues dominate the Philly burbs and central Pa political scene more than any other area in the state. That's a good thing, IMO, and one can hope the rest of the state( and country) will eventually catch up.
I agree with a lot of what you say here. I think many blue collar city residents vote Democratic primarily for the labor union support rather than social issues. And perhaps some of the conservative strongholds outside the city are starting to moderate a bit. I tend to vote "blue" but I think it would be good for Philly to become more "purple" to keep the Democrats (more) honest.

Of course, corruption isn't limited to the local level or one party... but that's a whole 'nother topic (for the Politics and Other Controversies forum, of course. )

Old 03-26-2009, 01:57 PM

1,001 posts, read 2,348,667 times
Quote:
Anchorage
Phoenix
Mesa
Scottsdale
Gilbert
Chandler
Glendale
Anaheim
Santa Ana
Colorado Springs
Jacksonville
Fort Wayne
Wichita
Oklahoma City
Tulsa
Corpus Christi
Fort Worth
Arlington
Plano
Lubbock
Virginia Beach

(Boise was #101)

Here it looks like Salt Lake City and McCain's home town of Pheonix are the only big red circles... I'd love to see your data.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Here it looks like Salt Lake City and McCain's home town of Pheonix are the only big red circles... I'd love to see your data.
Ummm that site doesnt disprove anything I said...Also, SLC went Blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or