U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:28 PM

117 posts, read 519,240 times

Advertisements

Think about Parkwood. It's at the very top of the NE. It's all red brick row homes, on cull-de-sacs and circle streets, very family oriented, with yards and tons of police and firefighters since they have to live in the city. I grew up there, and it was a great neighborhood because there were lots of kids within close proximity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 12:37 PM

271 posts, read 1,306,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
I think that's Castor Gardens, not Mayfair. I thought Mayfair was more East of the Blvd along Cottman Avenue. Regardless, I agree with your evaluation of Mayfair.
All I know is I grew up in St. Matts Parish and I lived in Mayfair, one block from Mayfair Elem. School!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:23 PM

1,740 posts, read 3,919,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesixth View Post
All I know is I grew up in St. Matts Parish and I lived in Mayfair, one block from Mayfair Elem. School!
Relax, so did I! I'm just trying to clarify it for edrican in case they decide to contact a realtor. That's the most important thing in this thread.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:35 PM

182 posts, read 703,137 times
Thanks for all the responces.I saw allot of homes in the Mayfair area for a real good deal.It sounds like the areas are ok to live in,especially if my wife is going to be home alone at times.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:10 AM

1,740 posts, read 3,919,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edrican View Post
Thanks for all the responces.I saw allot of homes in the Mayfair area for a real good deal.It sounds like the areas are ok to live in,especially if my wife is going to be home alone at times.
If you are considering Mayfair, you may want to stay in the area bordered by Frankford and Rowland Avenues, east and west, and Ryan Avenue and Rhawn Street, south and north. Sometimes parking can be challenging if you live in the 3500 blocks near Frankford Ave.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesixth View Post
Northeast Phila, esp. the Mayfair area, where you were, is pretty much a typical working class area. Family oriented and also community minded with especially tight ties around the Catholic parishes or your local athletic assoications for kids sports, activities.
I agree. If you ask someone from Mayfair where they live, they are more likely to name their parish than their street name.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:12 PM

15,996 posts, read 37,260,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I worked for about 12 years in far-northeast Philly. I agree with the others that the futher you go down the southern end of Northeast Philly, the worse it gets.

In the far northeast there are tons of shopping centers, restaurants, bars, churches, etc. Lots of traffic. Some row-house areas and many areas with twin/duplex houses. The Eastern side of Roosevelt Blvd (Route One) is largely Catholic (Irish and Polish) while the Western side is largely Jewish and a lot of Russian immigrants. Of course there are pockets of all types of people on boths sides. But I remember being surprised at the sharp line of division the Blvd made, especially with the Jewish/Catholic thing. Since I am neither, they would both tell me all about it, their positive and negative opinions.
Hmm....informative desciption. So the northeast has a decent historical Irish population? I've got Irish ancestry/ethnicity, so a bit interesting to me.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:49 PM

24,672 posts, read 34,777,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Hmm....informative desciption. So the northeast has a decent historical Irish population? I've got Irish ancestry/ethnicity, so a bit interesting to me.
Yes, parts of it are very Irish.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:14 AM

119 posts, read 547,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
If you are considering Mayfair, you may want to stay in the area bordered by Frankford and Rowland Avenues, east and west, and Ryan Avenue and Rhawn Street, south and north. Sometimes parking can be challenging if you live in the 3500 blocks near Frankford Ave.
This is where I bought my house.Great area probably the best in Mayfair.I would avoid the area around the Roosevelt mall,it's a bit sketchy.I like east of the blvd and north of cottman with out crossing Frankford ave.Not to say that there isn't nice streets in other parts of Mayfair/Holmesburg but I find this area the nicest on a consistent basis.

And yes Mayfair is very Irish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia