U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2009, 08:41 AM
 
9 posts, read 34,883 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

We will be moving to Philly sometime this year. My husband and I are older, late 40's and 50's and would like to live somewhere in Philadelphia, purchase a place for around $350,000-$450,000. We have two college age sons (Rutgers) and a high schooler (Freshman). We currently live in North Jersey, and want out of suburbia. I want to live somewhere I don't need a car! Private school is a viable option for the high schooler.My husband's new job will be in Voorhees NJ. We have been told the commute from Philadelphia to Voorhees is very doable. Any ideas? All help would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2009, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Lancaster County, PA
1,740 posts, read 3,918,553 times
Reputation: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocan-anj View Post
We will be moving to Philly sometime this year. My husband and I are older, late 40's and 50's and would like to live somewhere in Philadelphia, purchase a place for around $350,000-$450,000. We have two college age sons (Rutgers) and a high schooler (Freshman). We currently live in North Jersey, and want out of suburbia. I want to live somewhere I don't need a car! Private school is a viable option for the high schooler.My husband's new job will be in Voorhees NJ. We have been told the commute from Philadelphia to Voorhees is very doable. Any ideas? All help would be welcome.
You should be able to find a nice house for that price in Torresdale, Bustleton, Parkwood or Fox Chase. Several bus routes throughout the neighborhoods. All are about 30 minutes or so to Voorhees by car; alot longer if he's taking public transportation. If, by private, you mean Catholic, Archbishop Ryan High School is on Academy Road and has an excellent faculty . Good luck and welcome to Philadelphia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Columbus,Ohio
1,014 posts, read 3,187,510 times
Reputation: 495
Some of the safer car free areas are: Bridesburg, Fishtown, Port Richmond (east of Aramingo Ave) , Manayunk, Roxborough ( both Upper and Lower), Wissahickon, and many parts of South Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 11:28 AM
 
9 posts, read 34,883 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for these replies. By private school I just meant we were not limited in location by the public high schools, although I am looking at Central High as I have heard it is good. Are the high schools open enrollment? And does any know how difficult the private schools, probably one of the Friends schools around, are for acceptance?

I have looked in Fishtown, and Manayunk, what about Pennsport? Or the Italian Marker area? Would a commute to South NJ be difficult from there?

We will be spending a few days there next week, and I want to have different areas to walk around in and get the feel of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Lancaster County, PA
1,740 posts, read 3,918,553 times
Reputation: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocan-anj View Post
Thanks for these replies. By private school I just meant we were not limited in location by the public high schools, although I am looking at Central High as I have heard it is good. Are the high schools open enrollment? And does any know how difficult the private schools, probably one of the Friends schools around, are for acceptance?

I have looked in Fishtown, and Manayunk, what about Pennsport? Or the Italian Marker area? Would a commute to South NJ be difficult from there?

We will be spending a few days there next week, and I want to have different areas to walk around in and get the feel of.
As long as your child has good grades he shouldn't have any trouble getting into a good private school. Commuting from Fishtown, Pennsport and the Italian Market to Voorhees is a fairly easy drive. Manayunk and Roxborough are further Northwest so it could be a 45-60 minute hike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 05:11 PM
 
5,969 posts, read 7,996,292 times
Reputation: 1614
Consider Collingswood, Haddonfield, or Haddon Township NJ. All three are walkable towns that you will not need a car, with PATCO access to Philadelphia. Also convenient to to Voorhees.

http://www.collingswood.com/

http://www.haddontwp.com/

http://www.haddonfieldnj.org/

http://www.ridepatco.org/

http://www.classictowns.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 08:58 PM
 
32 posts, read 96,521 times
Reputation: 37
If you are looking for an urban environment, then I don't think the Northeast or Jersey will do it for you. It may be close to buses and subways, but is not really "urban" in my opinion. For your budget, you might be able to find a decent 3 bedroom rowhouse or condo in queen Village or Bella Vista. These are areas between the Delaware River and Broad Street. You would be able to walk to most of Center City, but would be close to subways/trains to Jersey and other parts of Philly

High schools are tough here. The two best, in my opinion, are Masterman and Central. However, Masterman takes most of its kids in 5th grade. Central is also excellent. There are also a number of charters and privates that might meet your needs. Neighborhood high schools are not that great, so you would either need to go private for high school or enroll in a specialized charter school or specialized high school (of which there are many).

One thing to consider is that you only have one child at home. You could, in theory, get by with a two bedroom. If so, that opens up a number of options in Center City condos. I am living and raising 2 children in Center City and love it. I absolutely love walking everywhere, including stores, shopping, and schools. I currently live in a n'hood called Wash West and you could get a 2-3 bedroom place for $400-500K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 08:48 PM
 
9 posts, read 34,883 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for the help here. I will look in Queen Village, Bella Vista, Center City and what ever else pops up. It is good to read from those who live there, and really nice to read you are raising tow kids in Center City and love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2009, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Columbus,Ohio
1,014 posts, read 3,187,510 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
Some of the safer car free areas are: Bridesburg, Fishtown, Port Richmond (east of Aramingo Ave) , Manayunk, Roxborough ( both Upper and Lower), Wissahickon, and many parts of South Philadelphia.
I like to add that East Kensington ( East of Frankford Ave. between Norris st. and Lehigh Ave) is not too bad either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2009, 07:07 PM
 
1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Reputation: 449
I would NOT live in Bridesburg (very racist), Fishtown (hyped but still rough), Port Richmond (still heading down), Kensington, Pennport (same), Torresdale, Bustleton, Mayfair, blah, blah, blah. All blue coller lower to barely middle class, rough neighbors and dirty streets.

Fox Chase is still nice but the Northeast has seen better days. Manayunk, Roxborough, Andorra all great places. Bella Vista, Queen Village, Center City, Art Museum Area, heck even Northern Liberties, Graduate Hospital? are much better/more desirable places to live and I would look there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top