U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:45 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,443,110 times

Advertisements

Man I'm glad you decided to stay in Miami. Philly need less people who can't spell or write a simple paragraph.
To answer your question, anyone anywhere can be anti-social. To generalize a whole city is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 11:03 AM

73 posts, read 279,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Man I'm glad you decided to stay in Miami. Philly need less people who can't spell or write a simple paragraph.
To answer your question, anyone anywhere can be anti-social. To generalize a whole city is ridiculous.

Prepare to be attacked by isthistaken in 5,4,3,2,1....

Old 03-30-2009, 02:18 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times
I totally agree with you OP, been here 10 years very hard to meet and make friends here. Lord willing, Austin Texas for me next year

Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 PM

212 posts, read 792,857 times
From the sound of it, the op doesn't seem to be a positive contribution to the community. Good riddance. And 31 does not make you a 80s baby. Do the math, no 80s babies are 30 years old yet. Apparently punctuation and grammar are not your only weaknesses.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:59 PM

4,744 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Funny -- some of the most sociable people I've ever met were from Philly. I also think a lot of how we perceive people depends on outlook, and if you're not happy living in a certain place; you're going to be much less likely to have a positive view of the other people that live there.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:40 PM

205 posts, read 750,755 times
I used to think my neighborhood in Philly was anti-social. After spending a few months in North Carolina for work, I came back up to Philly, and was used to saying hello to everyone I passed on the street, and I applied it in Philly. The people in Philly would always say hello right back. I find philly to be much more friendly now than I ever did. While some places maybe be easier to social, I find that you can control your environment a lot just by changing your mindset a little.

Also, this is Roxborough/Manayunk.. Center City philly people seem a little more callus. I lived in Center City, and I can understand their point of view. Lots of scammers on the streets.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:50 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times
Thats pretty bad to be antisocial because of scammers, but i guess thats why they are. a free years ago a young medical student female was beaten to death in broad daylight in front of Whole Foods South St. On lookers watched and yet no one got involved-even though the police station was half a block away.

If thats social then im on mars( no amount of scamming would allow me to sit and watch a person being beaten to death without getting involved). No amount of fear of losing a few dollars will let me watch a person being mugged or an old person or child being abused--but i guess thats what they call social here

Old 04-10-2009, 06:42 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,520,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Thats pretty bad to be antisocial because of scammers, but i guess thats why they are. a free years ago a young medical student female was beaten to death in broad daylight in front of Whole Foods South St. On lookers watched and yet no one got involved-even though the police station was half a block away.

If thats social then im on mars( no amount of scamming would allow me to sit and watch a person being beaten to death without getting involved). No amount of fear of losing a few dollars will let me watch a person being mugged or an old person or child being abused--but i guess thats what they call social here
k bye

Old 04-11-2009, 12:47 PM

54 posts, read 274,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtrainon View Post
I was born and pretty much raised here,apart from living in nj,nyc,cali,and miami,which i been going back and forth since 05 and i am now on spring break,my main questions are,whats up with philly? My families home is not in the heart of north philly,like the so called hood area,aka bad lands area,they are in an area called olney,but i never felt like a connection with philadelphia thats why i came to miami,and im not reallly a big fan of constant heat or humidity but its the fact that miami seems alive as a city,i know every single city has pros and cons,but lets face it,one can live in paradise,and if you dont have your money right,it wont matter,but the night life i love in miami,and of course who really misses snow? i do love change of seasons though,but change of season is not worth living in a boring area with alot of dirtyness and crime,north philadelphia looks like iraq,and i dont know but its like i can never find women,or people on my level,seem like so many have this obsure bitterness about them,and i konw every single city in the world has its issues,and every city has suburbs that are pretty,and are away from everything,but to me life is not life if there is no type of human popluation,it kinda makes you feel like dam,i pretty much have met everyone,the people of philadelphia have become like so so cold,esp the younger generations,very disrespectful,and im only 31,im an 80's baby,i remember philly back in the 80's not as much crime and the streets looked cleaner,but dam,theres so many hopeless people in this city,and so little to do,esp if the weather conditions dont allow it,maybe someone can explain to me,where does a person go when living here? cuz i for one never find anything to do,and as far as clubs go,most of them get shut down due to violence

If you are coming from the West Coast or the South, Philly can be seen as a cold and isolating place. You can find plenty of people to validate those beliefs. I lived here for over a year and a half, and seen my share of rude people. At the same token, I have had my share of meeting very nice and warm neighbors. In my first place in West Philly, I had neighbors who would say "hi" to me as they sat on their front porch. Recently, I had to venture in the so-called "bad lands" of North Philly for a job, not sure where I was supposed to go, a woman told me what bus I had to take, and how far I had to walk once I get off. She didn't have to do that, but it was quite nice of her to do that for a stranger. Quite frankly, these experiences of Philadelphians being friendly to me outweigh the rudeness that I have also experienced.

As for Philly women, well I can't help you there. Women are women, it really doesn't matter where they are from. They may have different nuances to them, but at the end of the day attracting a woman from California is not much different than attracting a woman from Philly.

Believe it or not, crime was much worse in the 1980's than today. By 1990 we had around 600 murders. Places like University City, Northern Liberties, Fairmount, etc were complete slums 20 years ago. Talk to anyone who went to Penn in the 1970's and 1980's, they couldn't take one step off campus. Philly is making the turn around. We have stopped the bleeding, and now we are rebuilding.

What kind of rationale is making an assumption about Philly based on the worst part of the city. I wouldn't want to live in North Philly, and I hope the area can rebound. It is naive to say that Philly is hopeless because of what you see 5th and Luzerne.

Miami is a nice place for vacation, but I sure wouldn't want to live there. What is so great about living in the epicenter of the housing crisis. I would like to be outside and not worry about dying of a heat stroke. I would also like to be in a city that appreciates art and culture. If you want to stay in Southern Florida, then be my guest. But it isn't paradise as you claim.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:12 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
i don't get how philly is any different fron dc, b'more, jersey or ny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or