U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 01:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,767 times

Advertisements

Currently living in Mission Hill which is a section where mostly white undergraduates live from Northeastern, MassArt, etc. in what is the predominately poorer, black neighborhood of Roxbury. I'm pretty happy with it, but the apartment prices are kind of ridiculous for living in what is a nice section of Roxbury with drunk college kid neighbors.

This is where Philly comes in. I'm a 23 year old college graduate with loans to pay back. So I'd like to live in a more inexpensive area that still retains and exceeds all the culture and history of Boston. I'm looking for a one bedroom apartment to live with my girlfiend. I'd like to live where public transit is readily available and gives me access to most of the city since I will not have a car. I'd like to feel that my girlfiend is as safe as she can be in a big city, but I don't want to exile myself to some homogenous white utopia (no offense to those who are living well in those areas).

I'm vegetarian and a philosophy major who, hopefully, intends to go to graduate school eventually -- maybe even possibly in Philly; this makes it so that I'm dependent upon a certain degree of "funkiness" in an area in order to be happy (e.g. more ecclectic dining options, younger people, artists/intellectuals, people who annoy greater society in general).

I'll also most likely be pursuing work in a restaurant/bar so being in an area where I have easy access to many nice establishments would also be vital.

I apologize for being long-winded. Just thought I'd give you a sense of my personality too to help you figure out a good area for me to live in Philly. Thanks in advance to anybody that takes time in giving me any advice. I intend to visit Philly in the coming months, so giving me some places ahead of time to go and look will really help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 06:47 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
You didn't say how much you can pay for rent, but I suggest, old city.

Old City Civic Association

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_City_(Philadelphia)

Old 03-28-2009, 06:57 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
There's a lot of good options for what you're looking for in or close to downtown - as said, Old City is a prime example - but it does depend on how much you can afford to rent.

Also consider Northern Liberties, Queen Village, Bella Vista, Washington Square West and, across the Schuykill (SCHOOL-kill) River, University City.

Of all of those, University City would be the most socioeconomically diverse, especially once you "escape" the off-campus Penn crowd by going west of 43rd St. I would suggest staying east of 49th, north of Springfield Ave. and south of Walnut St.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,767 times
I really don't know how much I could afford. It depends on the average pay in the area for a restaurant job. I make about 14-16 bucks an hour in East Boston. I pay 1200 in Boston split between my girlfriend and myself for a pretty small place in a basement. I have no idea what to expect from philly as far as pay goes.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:07 PM

36 posts, read 97,835 times
I'm a grad student currently living in west philly/university city and I find it to be pretty "funky" depending on where you are. The Penn crowd is very easy to avoid (I go to penn but avoid the undergraduates at all costs). It's pretty inexpensive and you could find a very nice one bedroom for around 1000/month.

You have to be careful about the area, as it can get bad quickly. I would not go west of 47th street or north of Walnut street. The area around Clark Park is great and relatively inexpensive.

I can't speak to the wages for the restaurant industry, but I do know (through my roommates) that competition for those jobs are pretty tough right now as a lot of people are out of work.

Hope that was helpful, feel free to PM me if you have more questions and good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or