U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2009, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,910 posts, read 12,770,661 times
Reputation: 2635

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggtimer View Post
with that said, even when the flyers make a run to the finals or conference finals this town is nothing like when the sixers, eagles, or phillies do it. yes, people are excited, but when it's basketball, baseball, or football this town goes berserk.
I disagree. Clearly the Eagles are #1, Phillies second followed by the Flyers and then the Sixers.

I dont see how you can make the argument , all things being equal, that the Sixers garner more excitement than the Flyers. The data(box office + tv radio ratings) doesnt support that argument. The Flyers seem to be a solidly backed albeit niche sport in the region, the Sixers arent even on the radar screen.

Philadlephia has 2 full time sports radio stations and tragically 95% of the airtime goes towards the Eagles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2009, 07:43 AM
 
250 posts, read 825,105 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
First of all, 95% of Celts fans are bandwagon fans.
Second, people in BMore will likely root for the Caps and Wizards.
Bandwagon fans - not sure how to break that down, but I'm sure every team that has won a championship recently has them. Bmore -they're not as strong as fans for the DC teams. While the markets are conjoined, and one living in Baltimore can get to a DC game in an hour or so, they are still different cities and markets. Baltimore to DC, isn't just Monmouth County, NJ to NYC, even though drive time is about the same. Baltimore Local tv stations are different, FM also, and Bmore stations dont usually plug the DC teams. Pace is different in both markets too. DC is supposedly more transient of a market for upwardly mobile people as they say, too.

Anyways its not like nearby city NBA teams to the Sixers, that is the Wizards, Nets, and Knicks are very hot either, so I doubt there is much rooting for the Wizards in Baltimore. No strong rivalry between the Sixers and the Knicks, atleast its dormant, when neither are that competitive.

Cities in East Coast Conference with 40 wins or more: First number W, Second number L.
East Coast:
Cleveland: 61 14
Boston: 57 19
Orlando: 55 19
Atlanta: 43 32

West Coast:
L.A. Lakers: 59 16
Denver: 50 26
San Antonio: 48 26
Houston: 48 27
New Orleans: 47 27
Portland: 47 27
Utah: 46 29
Dallas: 45 30
Phoenix: 41 34

This is obviously not the first year where West outranks East. And if you counter that possibly Orlando and Atlanta are sunbelt like the west, its no wonder NHL over time does better as the winter pro sport for a city like Philly, NFL aside.

Last edited by subwayfan; 04-03-2009 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 11:47 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,510 posts, read 3,379,757 times
Reputation: 621
The Flyers are unlike any other nhl team.......theres not enough space here to explain why.....if you really want to understand why Flyer fans are so passionate and loyal you have to understand the history of the team and its owner.......I suggest you research this back to the teams origins in 1967 and expecially the early to mid 70s when they earned the name of "Broad Street Bullies".....it all stems from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 02:13 PM
 
2,783 posts, read 6,520,018 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayfan View Post
Bandwagon fans - not sure how to break that down, but I'm sure every team that has won a championship recently has them. Bmore -they're not as strong as fans for the DC teams. While the markets are conjoined, and one living in Baltimore can get to a DC game in an hour or so, they are still different cities and markets. Baltimore to DC, isn't just Monmouth County, NJ to NYC, even though drive time is about the same. Baltimore Local tv stations are different, FM also, and Bmore stations dont usually plug the DC teams. Pace is different in both markets too. DC is supposedly more transient of a market for upwardly mobile people as they say, too.

Anyways its not like nearby city NBA teams to the Sixers, that is the Wizards, Nets, and Knicks are very hot either, so I doubt there is much rooting for the Wizards in Baltimore. No strong rivalry between the Sixers and the Knicks, atleast its dormant, when neither are that competitive.

Cities in East Coast Conference with 40 wins or more: First number W, Second number L.
East Coast:
Cleveland: 61 14
Boston: 57 19
Orlando: 55 19
Atlanta: 43 32

West Coast:
L.A. Lakers: 59 16
Denver: 50 26
San Antonio: 48 26
Houston: 48 27
New Orleans: 47 27
Portland: 47 27
Utah: 46 29
Dallas: 45 30
Phoenix: 41 34

This is obviously not the first year where West outranks East. And if you counter that possibly Orlando and Atlanta are sunbelt like the west, its no wonder NHL over time does better as the winter pro sport for a city like Philly, NFL aside.
I honestly find this post to be very difficult to decipher. Yes, BMore does not have NBA or NHL teams, but other than transplants, I'm sure plenty of people support the Wizards and Caps.

The West has always been better than the East in the NBA.

I have no idea what your last point is, but again, the majority of the east cares more about hockey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 06:19 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,510 posts, read 3,379,757 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggtimer View Post
the flyers on the other hand have built quality teams and attracted loyal fans since coming into the league. with that said, even when the flyers make a run to the finals or conference finals this town is nothing like when the sixers, eagles, or phillies do it. yes, people are excited, but when it's basketball, baseball, or football this town goes berserk.
Really.....then I'd like to hear an explanation why the Flyers drew 2 million people to their championship parades.....TWICE......neither the Phillies nor the Sixers drew anything even close to that......while the Phillies stadium can draw over 70,000 fans its usually only half full....if that.....what you don't seem to understand is that only 20,000 can fit in to see the Flyers and there are 10s of thousands additional loyal fans that just can't get tickets.....the Flyers building is filled even to see them play the bottom teams in the nhl and the cost of that ticket is about 4 times that for a Phillies game. While you hear Phillies, Sixers and Eagles fans constantly whine and complain its seldom that you hear an unhappy word from a Flyers fan. The only reason it seems like there is more excitement over the other teams is that they get more TV coverage when they do well which isn't nearly as often or consistant as the Flyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 07:10 PM
 
250 posts, read 825,105 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I honestly find this post to be very difficult to decipher. Yes, BMore does not have NBA or NHL teams, but other than transplants, I'm sure plenty of people support the Wizards and Caps.

The West has always been better than the East in the NBA.

I have no idea what your last point is, but again, the majority of the east cares more about hockey.
You must not have opened the link provided by the OP. In Boston, the Celtics get more ratings attendance etc. than the Bruins. Celtics have local interest because the Celtics do well. In other East markets like Atlanta its the same. The same would be true if Sixers did as well, that is more interest in recent times if they werent the 7th seed team on the East or whatever, or atleast it'd be close (between Sixers and Flyers).... You claimed Boston's deal was because Celtics was bandwagon thing The Flyers have held well compared to other NHL teams, but the Sixers not so respective to other NBA teams. Anyways thats the point. Disregard the Bmore as it was out of topic to the main topic, on my part.

Last edited by subwayfan; 04-03-2009 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 10:51 PM
 
2,783 posts, read 6,520,018 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayfan View Post
You must not have opened the link provided by the OP. In Boston, the Celtics get more ratings attendance etc. than the Bruins. Celtics have local interest because the Celtics do well. In other East markets like Atlanta its the same. The same would be true if Sixers did as well, that is more interest in recent times if they werent the 7th seed team on the East or whatever, or atleast it'd be close (between Sixers and Flyers).... You claimed Boston's deal was because Celtics was bandwagon thing The Flyers have held well compared to other NHL teams, but the Sixers not so respective to other NBA teams. Anyways thats the point. Disregard the Bmore as it was out of topic to the main topic, on my part.
Ummmm no. The Sixers are doing well and no one cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 10:52 PM
 
2,783 posts, read 6,520,018 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Really.....then I'd like to hear an explanation why the Flyers drew 2 million people to their championship parades.....TWICE......neither the Phillies nor the Sixers drew anything even close to that......while the Phillies stadium can draw over 70,000 fans its usually only half full....if that.....what you don't seem to understand is that only 20,000 can fit in to see the Flyers and there are 10s of thousands additional loyal fans that just can't get tickets.....the Flyers building is filled even to see them play the bottom teams in the nhl and the cost of that ticket is about 4 times that for a Phillies game. While you hear Phillies, Sixers and Eagles fans constantly whine and complain its seldom that you hear an unhappy word from a Flyers fan. The only reason it seems like there is more excitement over the other teams is that they get more TV coverage when they do well which isn't nearly as often or consistant as the Flyers.
Phillies parade attracts two-million plus | Its Our City | WHYY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2009, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,910 posts, read 12,770,661 times
Reputation: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Ummmm no. The Sixers are doing well and no one cares.
The Sixers have been irrelevant since the Dr J days. Pat Croce who is the master at marketing got interest going in the Sixers a decade ago(Iverson) but since he(Croce) left the air completely went out of the Sixers balloon.


The Sixers made the palyoffs last year and about 12,000 people showed up for the home playoff games. The Flyers get 19,000 fans for pre season games. The Sixers will need superstar along the lines of Lebron/Kobe or an NBA championship appearance to get fan interst back imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2009, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Lancaster County, PA
1,740 posts, read 3,918,269 times
Reputation: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The Sixers have been irrelevant since the Dr J days. Pat Croce who is the master at marketing got interest going in the Sixers a decade ago(Iverson) but since he(Croce) left the air completely went out of the Sixers balloon.


The Sixers made the palyoffs last year and about 12,000 people showed up for the home playoff games. The Flyers get 19,000 fans for pre season games. The Sixers will need superstar along the lines of Lebron/Kobe or an NBA championship appearance to get fan interst back imo.
Excellent points, rainrock. It seems that every year the Flyers produce a standout player and that draws even more interest to the team. This year it's been Jeff Carter. I don't know many people who can name more then three members of the Sixer's team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top