U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:03 PM

101 posts, read 353,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
The crime and trash issues are blown WAY out of proportion, primarily by local TV stations that need something to fill up their thirty minutes of air time. Like others have said, if you stay out of certain neighborhoods, especially at night, and don't use drugs, you'll be fine. Welcome.
Wow, can't disagree more. The trash problem is completely out of control all over the city. Yes, there are certainly neighborhoods where people clean up after themselves better, but even in some of the more decent neighborhoods trash is a huge issue. It's completely common to see people drop their **** wherever they please.

While I agree with the 1/3 comparison mentioned, you are not immune to crime even in the nicest parts of Philadelphia. If you've never been here, please come spend some time and make your own judgements. See various parts of the city. Philly is a very block by block town. Things change quickly all over the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 06:25 PM

23 posts, read 83,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
Some areas, such as West and North Philly, are considered to be high-crime sections of the city. It's not say, though, that you will never be a victim of crime in the remaining areas. I grew up in SW Philly in the '70's and we had cars broken into, bikes stolen, etc but not much in the way of violent crimes. So, to answer your question, and it's a smart question to ask if you're considering moving here, is that crime can happen anywhere in any town. However, if you can avoid the sections that have most of the criminal activity most likely you can live in Philly for a long time without incident.

Just always, no matter where you go, keep doors locked and always be aware of your surroundings. Good luck with your decision.
thank you for your insights!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
The crime is largely concentrated in certain pockets of the city. If you stay out of those particular areas, you're more than likely to be fine. That said, it is a city, so just be aware that things can happen and have common sense.

If you live in the city (especially areas like Center City, Old City, Bella Vista, University City, etc.), then you won't even need a car, let alone drive everywhere. The schools leave something to be desired, but you can 1) live in the city for now, and move when your kids get to school age, 2) use this time to save up money and pay for private/parochial school, or 3) do extensive research, be involved, and do what you can with the public city system. There are some decent schools, and certain high schools are really good (Masterman, Central, Girl's High). My parents opted for #2, although if I hadn't gotten into my private high school of choice I was going to go Central (my mother works for the school district, so she knew what to expect should I decide to go to a public H.S.).
thank you

Old 04-02-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggtimer View Post
Wow, can't disagree more. The trash problem is completely out of control all over the city. Yes, there are certainly neighborhoods where people clean up after themselves better, but even in some of the more decent neighborhoods trash is a huge issue. It's completely common to see people drop their **** wherever they please.

While I agree with the 1/3 comparison mentioned, you are not immune to crime even in the nicest parts of Philadelphia. If you've never been here, please come spend some time and make your own judgements. See various parts of the city. Philly is a very block by block town. Things change quickly all over the city.
thank you for your valuable comments

Old 04-03-2009, 07:04 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggtimer View Post
yeah, some clown(s) think its ok for their dogs to do its business on the sidewalk right in front of my place and leave it there. every freakin week!
buncha savages in this town.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
yeah, some clown(s) think its ok for their dogs to do its business on the sidewalk right in front of my place and leave it there. every freakin week!
buncha savages in this town.
wow!!! I guess I'm spoiled in this matter in California....

Old 04-03-2009, 10:36 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Yes, the mentality in California is a different animal, so to speak, than here in the Northeast. Also, if my impression of Santa Barbara being a small city of mostly upper-income households is correct, then the willingness and ability to keep its streets clean is definitely different than a larger city of varied incomes like Philadelphia.

I agree that too many Philadelphians think it's okay to just drop their trash "anywhere" despite the reasonable number of trash receptacles around town, especially downtown. Center City and University City each have a "special services district" subsidized by neighborhood businesses; among other things, they hire people to clean up the refuse from the streets and sidewalks. There some other neighborhoods that have enough community pride to take care of things themselves. You just may not find that so much in the areas immediately surrounding downtown.

Regarding transit, while I'm not totally experienced with Chicago's CTA and METRA system, I believe that they're comparable to SEPTA as another older but extensive service.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Yes, the mentality in California is a different animal, so to speak, than here in the Northeast. Also, if my impression of Santa Barbara being a small city of mostly upper-income households is correct, then the willingness and ability to keep its streets clean is definitely different than a larger city of varied incomes like Philadelphia.

I agree that too many Philadelphians think it's okay to just drop their trash "anywhere" despite the reasonable number of trash receptacles around town, especially downtown. Center City and University City each have a "special services district" subsidized by neighborhood businesses; among other things, they hire people to clean up the refuse from the streets and sidewalks. There some other neighborhoods that have enough community pride to take care of things themselves. You just may not find that so much in the areas immediately surrounding downtown.

Regarding transit, while I'm not totally experienced with Chicago's CTA and METRA system, I believe that they're comparable to SEPTA as another older but extensive service.
You're right about Santa Barbara thank you for your response!

Old 04-03-2009, 11:46 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
Perhaps it might be more appropriate to compare Los Angeles and Philadelphia then Santa Barbara and Philadelphia. Big cities generally have more of a littering problem, don't they?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Perhaps it might be more appropriate to compare Los Angeles and Philadelphia then Santa Barbara and Philadelphia. Big cities generally have more of a littering problem, don't they?
probably, but I don't know much about LA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia