U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:07 PM

54 posts, read 274,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mici_angora View Post
Hello everyone

My hubby and I were looking at Philadelphia because it is a beautiful city with a lot of things to do - culture, outdoors. Diversity is great. Architecture is beautiful! We are city people, not suburbs people. Seems like a place for us! I have been reading some posts here and it seems like crime is out of control in this city.

I would like to know - is it really that bad? we would be coming from california (originally from Europe) so we can't stand the drive-everywhere life here. we need a big city!
Also, we're planning to start a family in a couple of years. We would still, however, like to stay in the city.

Any comment would be greatly appreciated!

If you don't do heroin, you're not in a gang, and you don't do anything illegal, for the most part you are going to be fine. Believe it or not crime has actually gone down. However perception of crime drops at a lower rate than the actual crime rate. We still have a long way to go, but we are making progress. I lived here for over that past year and a half, and had nothing happen to me.

As for the trash, it really depends where you are. I live in West Philly, and it is pretty clean around the universities. Also areas that has been revitalized are a lot cleaner, seeing well-kept buildings and public trash cans every couple blocks. Based on my personal experience, trash is more prevalent around abandon buildings.

There is plenty of filth in Philly, however the city is recovering from the damage done by deindustrialization and suburbanization. It is a block by block process here in Philly, especially in West Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 06:34 PM

18,534 posts, read 22,361,881 times
Having recently been to DC-Baltimore-Philly-NYC on vacation, and once back home, and I wanted to return to any of the 4, I'd pick Philly. It's more alive, has a delicious blue-collar flavor, more balanced, more fun, more natural. I feel that NYC, Manhattan, has lots its diversity and has become way too clean, for my tastes. A clean city does not entail naturalness, to me. I grew up in a city that all but washed down the sidewalks with Pine Sol every night (Rochester, Minnesota) and a little dirt I find welcoming and makes me feel more comfortable.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:44 AM

33 posts, read 99,178 times
As far as Center City goes, I don't think trash is much of an issue. Rittenhouse, Society Hill, and Washington Square are much cleaner, in my opnion, than most places in Manhatten. I live in the city and never ever notice it. It simply isn't a problem- certainly not an eye-sore. The only time it seems to get out of hand is when it is extremely windy on trash collection days. But this is far from the norm...

The only place in Center City where trash is an issue for me is on Market Street near the Gallery and in Chinatown. There does not appear to be enough trash cans on Market (between 11th and 8th) to accomodate all of the waste. This is made worse by the vagabonds that call the area home.

Chinatown is the only place where I have seen people, in their own neighborhood, deliberatly throw their waste into the street without a hint of shame. I was once walking behind a couple on 10th Street in Chinatown as they were each drinking bottles of soda. When they finished the contents of the bottles, they each summarily tossed them over their shoulders behind them, almost hitting me. They never looked back... It was in broad day-light on a busy Saturday. I was stunned!

Nevertheless, I have also witnessed on several occasions, people picking up garbage on the streets, just to make things prettier. In the summer, I walk from Washington Square West to the Society Hill farmers market. I always take a couple of grocery bags and pick up every piece of garbage I see along the way.

In the end, the city is as clean as we make it.

As far as crime goes, Center City is very safe, in my opnion.

I mention Center City, because I feel that it is the only place in Philadelphia worth living in....

Old 04-12-2009, 08:07 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,594,265 times
How about Boston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia