Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:34 PM

7 posts, read 33,907 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a 22 year old male who will be entering Temple Law school this fall. I was wondering where would be a good place for me to live in the city. I will have at least one and maybe two roommates. As a young person, I'd like to be as close to downtown as possible, but price is a major concern for me. I don't want to pay monthly rent that exceeds $700. Additionally, I will not have a car so proximity to public transportation is an issue for me as well. However, my roommate will need a car so it still must be place where parking is not egregiously expensive/difficult.

Is there anyway that I can afford a place in Center City maybe near logan square? Furthermore, is safety and public transportation an issue in fairmount/art museum area? Also, what do you guys think about queen village for me?

I know this might be a lot to answer to, so I appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 02:59 PM

744 posts, read 775,848 times
I am a grad Student living in Philly as well. In addition to the places you mentioned I would check out the Passyunk Square area in South Philly. I don't own a car and find it very convenient. I live just a few blocks from the Tasker/Morris subway station, that would take you right to the Doorstep of Temple Law. Currently I live with my GF in a small 1bedroom and we pay $600/mo (we each pay $300/mo). We had also lived ina 2.5 bedroom (1 really tiny bedroom that we used as an office) that we paid $1200/mo for. It is very easy to get to all the goings on in center city and E Passyunk Ave has tons of neat bars and restaurants. There are alot of students in the area.

I had a car for a year and lived here. The parking can be difficult but it is much easier than the other areas you mentioned (except maybe the art museum area). You can find a spot, but sometimes it takes a while. I would say that you can easily find a place here in that price range. It will be very difficult to do that (and have viable parking) in the areas you mentioned.

I don't think safety is much an issue in the Art Museum area. However i'm sure crime happens on occasion. There are buses but access to the subways is more difficult.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:13 PM

692 posts, read 2,351,972 times
Check out Italian Market area in S Philly and also Art Museum area/Ben Franklin Parkway/Fairmount.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:54 PM

Thanks guys. Additionally, although overall the fairmount area seems to be safe are there any particular sort of streets or cutoff lines to avoid? (For example stay south of "x street" or west of "y street") Is the area right around the fairmount stop on the broad street line safe?

Old 03-25-2009, 09:24 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Congrats! Beasley is a great, great law school.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:41 PM

Thanks a lot JHG. I'm really looking forward to it.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:00 PM

Let's say I lived in fairmount/art museum area. Would it be safe for me to walk to the fairmount or spring garden broad street line stops depending on where I live? (For instance, if I lived on 20th and fairmount and walked to the fairmount broad street line stop).

Old 03-28-2009, 07:00 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkinism View Post
Let's say I lived in fairmount/art museum area. Would it be safe for me to walk to the fairmount or spring garden broad street line stops depending on where I live? (For instance, if I lived on 20th and fairmount and walked to the fairmount broad street line stop).
During the day, no problem. At night, a mild level of personal vigilance would not hurt... but you shouldn't have much concern overall.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 6,756 times
Hi Dawkinism. A few things about the Fairmount/Art Museum area:

First, the area around Fairmount Ave & Broad is not pretty (aesthetically). It is pretty run down and there are a disproportionate number of adults loitering around during normal working hours. This equates to being accosted for money on your way back and forth, which may not seem like a big deal, but after you work so hard for your money, it gets very old very fast and it doesn't go away.

Safety in Fairmount/Art Museum is a sliding scale, sometimes on a block by block basis. I lived near 29th and Girard because it was cheap and I would NOT do it again. Four shootings in 3 months right in froint on my apt was enough to convince me to move after two years. I noticed that crime increased with the real estate market cool down. I noticed that muggings and shootings were on the rise in areas that I would have considered very safe only a year ago. (Like 23rd & Mt Vernon) Generally, I wouldn't want to live east of 20th or north of Poplar. For safety, I would advise you not go north (go meaning, for a walk or whatever) of Girard Ave, though there isn't much destinantion-wise over there anyway.

The area around Passyunk Square (S Broad Street) mentioned earlier is a good location for someone your age as there is stuff you can walk to (restaurants, bars) and a high number of twenty-somethings living there.

Check out Phillyblog.com. It's forums are set up like this one but it provides very neighborhood-specific information and the folks are very helpful, I have found. Also everyblock.com provides maps showing dates and types of crimes, which can be quite persuading when choosing a new home. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2009, 06:56 AM

425 posts, read 958,814 times
Hi, on the same subject. I currently live in Brooklyn,NY and am looking to move to Philly, I have found what seems to be a good apartment in South Philley, but not being to familiar with Philly, I would like to know how the area is in regards to saftey, access to public transportation (I do not have a car, and would like to not need one to keep costs down) and access to the arenas and ballparks (big sports fan). From what I can tell it seems like it is in the same area as the Alhambra Arena, were the old ECW use to run (unfortuantaly I was never able to make it to Philly to see a show there, but I did see plenty of the old ECW in the Elks Lodge in Queens)

so before this turns into a rant about mid 1990's wrestling, how is this general area of this location?

S. 4th St & Ritner St Philadelphia, PA 19148
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia