U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 7,818 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am asking on behalf of a friend thinking of attending. How is the safety and crime around St. Joseph's campus? Is it safe to walk during the day? at night? (I am told there is quite a walk from the train station).

Obviously a lot has been posted on West and North Philly, but I'm not exactly sure where the boundaries extend to and if that includes St. Joseph's area.

Thanks for any help you can give!

-Sirius24
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 01:41 PM

5,673 posts, read 10,245,988 times
Recent thread on the same topic.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:18 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,520,483 times
Why the heck would anyone go to SJU? Seriously...

Old 04-03-2009, 06:13 PM

1,740 posts, read 3,918,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius24 View Post
Hi everyone, I am asking on behalf of a friend thinking of attending. How is the safety and crime around St. Joseph's campus? Is it safe to walk during the day? at night? (I am told there is quite a walk from the train station).

Obviously a lot has been posted on West and North Philly, but I'm not exactly sure where the boundaries extend to and if that includes St. Joseph's area.

-Sirius24
The campus is safe most of the time, but the surrounding area can be tough at night. My niece attends St. Joe's and she's had no issues.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:05 PM

1,740 posts, read 3,918,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Why the heck would anyone go to SJU? Seriously...
Winning a scholarship, carrying on a family tradition, the desire to attend a Catholic University, location and conveniences, and being impressed by the curriculum and faculty all come to mind.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:08 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,520,483 times
All terrible reasons.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:39 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,757,287 times
Quote:

Thanks for any help you can give! -Sirius24
I am not a product of St. Joe's but had a few courses there before transferring to Penn. St. Joe's campus is safe going toward the Schuylkill Expressway and safe in the opposite direction towards Uppder Darby. Bala is good too and portions of the city are great but some believe the safety issue surrounding St Joe's is poor but I disagree.
Short walk 1.25 miles to Overbrook train station that will take you anywhere such as Philly or Delaware.

Overall St Joe's security is good. Just don't walk alone as students shouldn't if they attended Drexel of Penn.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:57 PM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I am not a product of St. Joe's but had a few courses there before transferring to Penn. St. Joe's campus is safe going toward the Schuylkill Expressway and safe in the opposite direction towards Uppder Darby. Bala is good too and portions of the city are great but some believe the safety issue surrounding St Joe's is poor but I disagree.
Short walk 1.25 miles to Overbrook train station that will take you anywhere such as Philly or Delaware.

Overall St Joe's security is good. Just don't walk alone as students shouldn't if they attended Drexel of Penn.
Or Temple. My neighbors daughter got an excellent reputation at St. Joe's and is now working for a big firm in Philly. We're fortunate to have so many great colleges in the Philadelphia area. Something for everyone!.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 AM

271 posts, read 1,306,275 times
Default Location

Quote:

-Sirius24
SJU is in both West Phila. and Montgomery County. City Ave. is the dividing line between Philadelphia County and Lower Merion Twp in Montgomery County.
Sits between two train stations - Bala station is north of campus and Overbrook station is pretty close to the south...about 3 1/2 block walk. There is an apt. building owned by SJU - Merion Gardens that is directly across the street from the Overbrook train station.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:24 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
My prof got mugged walking from Overbrook station around 6:30 PM many years ago - early 90's. I'm pretty sure that cured him of any illusion that the area is safe after dark. I worked with a guy who was mugged at gunpoint walking to his off campus apartment after dark - this was in the mid-late 90s as well. Considering the current economy I'm going to go out on a limb and say the area is probably more dangerous that it was in good times...so, no, I would not recommend walking alone after dark off campus...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia