U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 17,708 times

Advertisements

Interrobang!......shsssssss, we are trying to keep the Wharton Square area a secret!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 04:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,675 times
is S 21st street bad as well?

Old 10-23-2013, 06:23 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,486,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy83 View Post
is S 21st street bad as well?
S 21st street is miles long and home to both multi-million dollar homes as well as terrible poverty. You're going to need to be more specific. In general though point breeze has improved dramatically since this topic was started.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:57 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,187,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
I agree with Jerz Boy. Avoid these areas like the plague: E of Broad - between 5th and 7th Sts. between Washington and Oregon Aves (as for as 4th -5th Sts. & 7th and 8th Sts. are concerned some blocks okay, others not so good) ; W of Broad- north of Snyder , south of Washington , west of 17th St. ( as far as Broad to 17th St in the Washington to Snyder corridor and between Snyder and Passyunk , some blocks nice and others not good at all. You just simply have to do your homework.
Sorry , I forgot to include the area south of Washington , north of Snyder and west of 17th is the worse area of South Philadelphia and I would avoid that. However there are pockets of gentrification in that area but it is being met with some resistance from the long timers.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:21 AM

884 posts, read 1,331,563 times
Are there any specific streets or areas of Point Breeze that are gentrifying well right now? Would renting in Point Breeze be any kind of bargain, or still not worth it considering safety issues?

Old 10-29-2013, 05:50 AM

95 posts, read 148,572 times
Many of the northern parts of Point Breeze are gentrifying, and are cheaper than Graduate Hospital while offering lots of the same amenities. Probably one of the best real estate investments in the city right now. A good place to keep up with development is: Point Breeze | NakedPhilly -- a blog run by one of the developers who is taking a big role in leading the gentrification of point breeze.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 AM

3,876 posts, read 3,780,017 times
This topic was a funny read for me. I'm from Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh also has a Point Breeze neighborhood. Although, Point Breeze in Pittsburgh is likely the #1 or #2 wealthiest neighborhood in the city. From my experiences, and from what I've heard, Point Breeze in Philadelphia is one of, if not the worst area in South Philly.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 789 times
So would the common at point breeze apartments be a bad area?

Old 11-22-2015, 04:11 PM

22,632 posts, read 12,789,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmarie623 View Post
I am looking for cheap apartments in the city, which has left me with few options. I found something in the Point Breeze area...on Mountain St. Ive heard the crime is pretty bad here, but how bad is it really? I've hears they are trying to revitalize the area, is this true?
I am living at 46th st now in west philly which can be pretty bad itself but Ive never had any trouble personally. I love the place and the price is awesome but I'm just wondering if I'm really putting my safety at risk? Im a recent college grad (female) who will be living with a close guy friend.
46th Street in West Philly runs through a lot of different neighborhoods.

If you live on 46th and Westminster, north of Market Street you're in a high crime, blighted, awful area with abandoned derelict homes. If you're on 46th and Pine St. or Larchwood St. you're in the tiny neighborhood of Garden Court which is not only pretty but single family homes fetch $1,000,000.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:38 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,299,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
46th Street in West Philly runs through a lot of different neighborhoods.

If you live on 46th and Westminster, north of Market Street you're in a high crime, blighted, awful area with abandoned derelict homes. If you're on 46th and Pine St. or Larchwood St. you're in the tiny neighborhood of Garden Court which is not only pretty but single family homes fetch $1,000,000.
Oops Clark! The OP hasn't been back since she started this thread, in April 2009

This thread is interesting though. South Philly has changed a lot in the past few years since I first moved there. There are plenty of places in Point Breeze I would avoid, especially if I were just moving to the city, but you can see definite improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia