U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 05:46 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
46th Street in West Philly runs through a lot of different neighborhoods.

If you live on 46th and Westminster, north of Market Street you're in a high crime, blighted, awful area with abandoned derelict homes. If you're on 46th and Pine St. or Larchwood St. you're in the tiny neighborhood of Garden Court which is not only pretty but single family homes fetch $1,000,000.
OT but, I'm sure you know that a couple of blocks away from 46th and Westminster is Our Mother of Sorrows parish and school and that incredible cemetery that's adjacent to it thats blocks long almost to 52nd and Girard. It was the largest parish in Phila. at one time. St Thomas Moore HS was also there. And lots of Italians lived around there. There are some houses left that show what it used to look like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 07:48 PM

92 posts, read 101,253 times
I'm glad to see this post, I read some of the old stuff a week or so ago but didn't want to pull up a zombie thread!

My son has just informed me that he and a friend are going to be renting a place at 25th and Tasker. I know NOTHING about this area at all and from my little bit of googling it appears to be Point Breeze. The google map street view doesn't look too appealing to me.... Just wondering how safe it is? They are a couple of guys in their early 20's.

Not trying to be a helicopter mom, he doesn't always listen to me anyways! LOL Just trying to figure out if I should up my prayers and check in on him a little more often!

Old 11-24-2015, 07:52 AM

105 posts, read 66,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookybean View Post
I'm glad to see this post, I read some of the old stuff a week or so ago but didn't want to pull up a zombie thread!

My son has just informed me that he and a friend are going to be renting a place at 25th and Tasker. I know NOTHING about this area at all and from my little bit of googling it appears to be Point Breeze. The google map street view doesn't look too appealing to me.... Just wondering how safe it is? They are a couple of guys in their early 20's.

Not trying to be a helicopter mom, he doesn't always listen to me anyways! LOL Just trying to figure out if I should up my prayers and check in on him a little more often!
There are areas of Point Breeze that I would consider living in but 25th and Tasker is not one of them. I would advise them to look a couple of blocks north.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:22 AM

1,434 posts, read 1,596,501 times
46th street on the side of Saint Francis De Sales Parish is lovely.
46th and Market, eh.. still coming up

Old 11-24-2015, 08:32 AM

544 posts, read 462,414 times
Quote:

That is area is still very rough. I would not recommend living there at all.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:44 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
46th street on the side of Saint Francis De Sales Parish is lovely.
46th and Market, eh.. still coming up
If PPD headquarters and the morgue ever actually move into the old Provident Mutual Bldg things might change pretty dramatically near 46th and Market.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:27 AM

249 posts, read 175,967 times
25th and Tasker? No. It's not good. Do they have any other options?

Old 11-24-2015, 10:28 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,299,554 times
Yeah there hasn't been much gentrifying on that end of PB, if at all. Can he find another spot?

Old 11-24-2015, 09:24 PM

92 posts, read 101,253 times
He thinks im a bit excessive at times and also thinks I'm a worrier. He does have friends who have lived in South philly and right now he is at 10th and rittner. I don't know why they chose this spot, probably cheap and not too picky about who they rent to.

I found a couple online that seem to be a bit better, I'll see if I can suggest them to him when he's here for thanksgiving. It also looks like a long walk to the sub.

Are there any specific areas I can suggest?

Thank you!

Old 11-24-2015, 09:56 PM

4,995 posts, read 3,039,427 times
Quote:
He thinks im a bit excessive at times and also thinks I'm a worrier. He does have friends who have lived in South philly and right now he is at 10th and rittner. I don't know why they chose this spot, probably cheap and not too picky about who they rent to.

I found a couple online that seem to be a bit better, I'll see if I can suggest them to him when he's here for thanksgiving. It also looks like a long walk to the sub.

Are there any specific areas I can suggest?

Thank you!
Honestly if your son already lives in South Philly, he will already know the places we suggest. My suggestion to you would be to encourage him to find a place closer to Washington Ave., 25th and Tasker is pushing it.

With that being said I am pretty sure that area is somewhat akin to where I live and My gf and I live just fine. So it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia