U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 01:07 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,299,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookybean View Post
He thinks im a bit excessive at times and also thinks I'm a worrier. He does have friends who have lived in South philly and right now he is at 10th and rittner. I don't know why they chose this spot, probably cheap and not too picky about who they rent to.

I found a couple online that seem to be a bit better, I'll see if I can suggest them to him when he's here for thanksgiving. It also looks like a long walk to the sub.

Are there any specific areas I can suggest?

Thank you!
It's about 11 blocks to the BSL.

I'm a Caucasian female so my perspective might be different than your son's, but I'd stick east of at least 20th St and as close to Washington as possible. I have girl friends who live around 19th and Wharton and they're fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 07:05 AM

221 posts, read 320,472 times
Quote:
I'm glad to see this post, I read some of the old stuff a week or so ago but didn't want to pull up a zombie thread!

My son has just informed me that he and a friend are going to be renting a place at 25th and Tasker. I know NOTHING about this area at all and from my little bit of googling it appears to be Point Breeze. The google map street view doesn't look too appealing to me.... Just wondering how safe it is? They are a couple of guys in their early 20's.

Not trying to be a helicopter mom, he doesn't always listen to me anyways! LOL Just trying to figure out if I should up my prayers and check in on him a little more often!
I've driven through there many times traveling to Grays Ferry on Tasker and that specific area doesn't seem that great. There seems to be a regular police presence at 27th and Tasker/Dickinson. I could see it making sense to buy in the area because I'm sure you'd see appreciation in the home value over time but if your son is renting it seems like there are other cheap options in South Philly that are safer and much more convenient.

Last edited by Snwmn5; 11-25-2015 at 07:16 AM..

Old 11-25-2015, 07:21 AM

11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times
Quote:
He thinks im a bit excessive at times and also thinks I'm a worrier. He does have friends who have lived in South philly and right now he is at 10th and rittner. I don't know why they chose this spot, probably cheap and not too picky about who they rent to.

I found a couple online that seem to be a bit better, I'll see if I can suggest them to him when he's here for thanksgiving. It also looks like a long walk to the sub.

Are there any specific areas I can suggest?

Thank you!
10th and Ritner is a nice neighborhood-it would be good for him to find another place near there IMO.

But 25th and Tasker isn't the worst in Point Breeze...it really looks worse than it is with the elevated train tracks on 25th. It would be about a Mile walk up Grays Ferry Ave to Rittenhouse Square, which is convenient.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
10th and Ritner is a nice neighborhood-it would be good for him to find another place near there IMO.

But 25th and Tasker isn't the worst in Point Breeze...it really looks worse than it is with the elevated train tracks on 25th. It would be about a Mile walk up Grays Ferry Ave to Rittenhouse Square, which is convenient.
Where would you say the "worst" is?

I'm going to be honest, and people can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't get the same "fear for my life" feeling anywhere in S Philly like I would in N or SW Philly. Maybe it's because I'm more familiar. My main concern on that end of PB would be property crime and possibly getting mugged on the way home from the bar. Then again, like I said, I'm a white female so my perception is different than a young man's might be. Am I wrong in that thinking?

Old 11-25-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post

I'm going to be honest, and people can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't get the same "fear for my life" feeling anywhere in S Philly like I would in N or SW Philly. Maybe it's because I'm more familiar. My main concern on that end of PB would be property crime and possibly getting mugged on the way home from the bar. Then again, like I said, I'm a white female so my perception is different than a young man's might be. Am I wrong in that thinking?
Maybe 21st/22nd and Tasker. Just as far as crime is concerned, although 25th/Tasker is not far behind.

And you are right, N and SW Philly have much worse areas than South Philly-which does seem to be getting better and safer every week. Even 21st and Tasker has changed for the better recently and continues to do so.

http://spotcrime.com/pa/philadelphia

You are not wrong in thinking that way. I probably wouldn't advise a single woman to live in that area, but for a young guy that has lived in the city before I think he should be fine.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:11 PM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post

Some of this made me laugh because, technically, you are moving to North Philly by moving to the high part of Fairmount. But, seriously, I know perfectly well that you're referring to, maybe, around, Lehigh Ave.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:13 PM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Maybe 21st/22nd and Tasker. Just as far as crime is concerned, although 25th/Tasker is not far behind.

And you are right, N and SW Philly have much worse areas than South Philly-which does seem to be getting better and safer every week. Even 21st and Tasker has changed for the better recently and continues to do so.

http://spotcrime.com/pa/philadelphia

You are not wrong in thinking that way. I probably wouldn't advise a single woman to live in that area, but for a young guy that has lived in the city before I think he should be fine.
You know women aren't as weak and ineffectual, physically speaking, as so any men think we are.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You know women aren't as weak and ineffectual, physically speaking, as so any men think we are.
I know this, but it is a perception. And some horrible people may prey on others they perceive to be weak.

My own sister held her own when someone attempted to mug her with what was possibly a gun here in Germantown a few years ago. I would never advise anyone to fight back against someone that could possibly have a deadly weapon-but she did, and got away. It did shake me though-and her of course.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Some of this made me laugh because, technically, you are moving to North Philly by moving to the high part of Fairmount. But, seriously, I know perfectly well that you're referring to, maybe, around, Lehigh Ave.
Lol I know I thought of that after I posted.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:22 PM

2,913 posts, read 4,726,196 times
Quote:
My son has just informed me that he and a friend are going to be renting a place at 25th and Tasker. I know NOTHING about this area at all and from my little bit of googling it appears to be Point Breeze. The google map street view doesn't look too appealing to me.... Just wondering how safe it is? They are a couple of guys in their early 20's.

Not trying to be a helicopter mom, he doesn't always listen to me anyways! LOL Just trying to figure out if I should up my prayers and check in on him a little more often!
My kids have rented in a number of areas of Philly, and I will admit to being one of those Moms-who-worry. Both of them have lived in Newbold, which is the easternmost part of Point Breeze. Quick walk to the BSL, and they seemed to make out OK...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbold,_Philadelphia

Personally, I liked it better when they lived on the eastern side of Broad St. in Passyunk Square. Way safer (in my opinion), and lots more restaurants and stores.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passyu...,_Philadelphia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia