U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:20 AM

30 posts, read 101,144 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest some places to explore in Eastern Pa, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersy that would be affordable. I currently live in Pittsburgh and would love to move east. I'm looking for a quaint town with character - coffee shops, etc. that might even be a bit rural. Work is not an issue and I don't need to commute into town. I've read about many areas around Philadephia that sound charming, but since I don't have to be close to the city, I thought some areas further out might be more affordable - tax wise, cost of real estate, etc. I'm kind of an outdoors person, but would lilke to have some metropolitan areas within a couple hours. I prefer something with in a few hours of DC as well.

Thanks in advance for responding to my inquiry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 08:11 AM

980 posts, read 2,477,643 times
Please define "affordable".

Old 04-07-2009, 08:18 AM

Probably what I'd like affordable to be would really be defined "impossible", but I would like to be able to find a 3 bedroom single family home - any age - for about 250 - more if taxes are reasonable.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:33 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Phoenixville, Collegeville, Downingtown, Pottstown, Honeybrook , maybe a suburb of Lancaster...if you don't mind the proximity to the city and some rude people, Lansdowne might just be the perfect place for you - taxes are high, schools are bad but the people are liberal, the downtown is supposedly coming back and housing is cheap and has alot of character...occasional property crime occurs and I'm not sure with the current economy what the enviornment going forward is going to be like, but the town is liberal and friendly and is having a Renaissance of sorts...

Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 PM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
Topton, PA in Berks county. Tiny town, probably cheap and it has some cute shops and restaurants. It's in the middle of the country so no close shopping but if you want to get away, it's a good place to look at. Not really sure why you would post your question on the Philadelphia forum. There's nothing rural and cheap within 30 miles of the city.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:12 AM

Thanks so much for your helpful replies. It's great to have some places to start. I will check out some of the areas that you both suggested. Toobusytoday may be right as far as where I'm even beginning my search - maybe I should even consider Delaware.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:41 AM

1,983 posts, read 6,843,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmel View Post
Can anyone suggest some places to explore in Eastern Pa, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersy that would be affordable. I currently live in Pittsburgh and would love to move east. I'm looking for a quaint town with character - coffee shops, etc. that might even be a bit rural. Work is not an issue and I don't need to commute into town. I've read about many areas around Philadephia that sound charming, but since I don't have to be close to the city, I thought some areas further out might be more affordable - tax wise, cost of real estate, etc. I'm kind of an outdoors person, but would lilke to have some metropolitan areas within a couple hours. I prefer something with in a few hours of DC as well.

Thanks in advance for responding to my inquiry.
Suggest you look in NJ but let me first say there are no quaint towns I would consider 'affordable' with high property taxes. Medford, NJ in Burlington County is actually what you are looking for, great main street, a bit of a wooded, rural/agricultural feel and right next to Medford Lakes. About an hour from Philly. Taxes are high though and housing is not cheap. Plenty of condos and/or rentals if you looked to rent at first.

http://www.medfordtownship.com/

A second suggestion and less expensive alternative is Mullica Hill, NJ farther south in Gloucester County, maybe an hour from Philly, probably 2 hours from DC. Quaint area, rural/agricultural feel, great schools, good investment etc.

http://www.mullicahill.com/

Also if you want outdoor appeal with access to the NE corridor and DC, South Jersey is your best location. Burlington County, NJ has more open space, farms, waterways, parks and recreational opportunity than anything in PA. The Wharton State Park/Pinelands Park system is one of the largest in the northeast and you'll have much better access to major roads running north and south. The roads in PA are a mess compared to NJ's super highways, don't underestimate that fact.

I'm no fan of PA and would gladly pay more to live in NJ, but check both areas out for yourself and decide what is best. South Jersey in particular has a larger mix of condos and 'affordable housing' relative to PA because NJ is a higher cost of living state. So, even your most expensive towns might have some affordable housing options.

Lastly, the weather is better in NJ than PA. NJ is relatively flat and closer to the shore which means more sun, warmer air and faster moving storms. The western PA burbs have rolling hills which lock cold air in longer and make for a harsher winter and colder spring. Plus PA gets less sun and more snow in winter.

Good luck.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 04-08-2009 at 07:04 AM..

Old 04-08-2009, 08:31 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
Mullica Hill is an excellent suggestion. Also, the idea of South Jersey in general. Even the town of Pennsville, just over the Delaware Memorial bridge is pretty nice. My folks live in South Jersey and they are always two or three weeks ahead of us warm weather-wise and ALWAYS warmer.

Lower Delaware is similar to South Jersey, but I can't really think of any towns that come to mind as "quaint" in Delaware. Old and lower income come to mind but not quaint.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:37 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Suggest you look in NJ but let me first say there are no quaint towns I would consider 'affordable' with high property taxes. Medford, NJ in Burlington County is actually what you are looking for, great main street, a bit of a wooded, rural/agricultural feel and right next to Medford Lakes. About an hour from Philly. Taxes are high though and housing is not cheap. Plenty of condos and/or rentals if you looked to rent at first.

Ok so in all due respect this info is not applicable as Medford is not affordable.But thanks for the puff piece on Medford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoporestownResident
South Jersey in particular has a larger mix of condos and 'affordable housing' relative to PA because NJ is a higher cost of living state. So, even your most expensive towns might have some affordable housing options.
True NJ has a higher cost of living than PA but what you fail to realize is that
the 4 Philadlephia suburban counties have a higher cost of living than the 4 South jersey suburban counties.

Its amusing to me your vague attempt to make NJ the best of both worlds. Its the most expensive part of the region while simultaneously being the most affordable part of the region when in reality its definitely just the most affordable part of the region. Thats your strongpoint(affordability) thats what you should be running with. Stop with the mistruths.

2007 Gross Adjusted Income by County

Chester(PA) $96,578
Montgomery(PA)-$86,685
Bucks(PA)-$77,180
Burlington(NJ)-$71,763
Delaware(PA)-$69,181
Gloucester(NJ)-$63,807
Camden(NJ)-$58,857
Salem(NJ)-$56,857

http://www.philly.com/philly/classif..._counties.html (broken link)

In the Philadelphia region, Chester County is where the money is.

Chester County ranked 21st among the more than 3,100 counties in the United States by adjusted gross income for 2007, according to a new analysis of IRS data by the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse University.

Quote:
Lastly, the weather is better in NJ than PA. NJ is relatively flat and closer to the shore which means more sun, warmer air and faster moving storms. The western PA burbs have rolling hills which lock cold air in longer and make for a harsher winter and colder
Are you serious? Are you that threatened by PA that you have to start comparing climates that are 10 miles apart? You're a real piece of work.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:54 AM

1,983 posts, read 6,843,384 times
To the OP, suggest you take this response with a major grain of salt. My post is 100% accurate. You will see for yourself if you look in both areas. NJ has more affordable options than PA by state mandate due to the fact that it is higher cost of living state. All municipalities in NJ must have affordable housing options. Many NJ people move to PA for more house and lower taxes, and in fact, you too, might be better off in PA coming from Pittsburgh. But I recommend considering both sides of the Delaware if you plan to live in the Philly region. There is far more at your disposal in NJ relative to PA especially if you are looking for recreation, the vast NJ shoreline and moving around in the NE corridor. In fact, you might want to drive down and check out the quaint shore area towns in Atlantic or Cape May counties, housing off the coast is still fairly reasonable.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 04-08-2009 at 09:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or