U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 11,391 times

Advertisements

Hi all:
New Yorkers here currently living in the Bronx because we were priced out of Brooklyn. We like being in a city, but NYC is starting to **** us off. Even in this crazy economic mess we're in, we have little hopes of ever owning a house here. Real estate prices are just obnoxious. Hubby is from South Philly, and we've recently began discussing moving to the Art Museum/Fairmount area (we spent some time wandering around up there when we were younger and loved it).
Of course we're going to do tons of research and visits, but I'm wondering what all you veterans think of the real estate in this area: Overpriced? Stable? Shady? Lovely? Cute?
This would be a big move for us (physically and mentally) and I'm really only willing to relocate if I can afford some sort of house (townhouse, row house, detached, doesn't matter) in a really great neighborhood.
We have a one year old, so schools are an issue. Anywhere we are we'd most likely opt for Catholic school though.
Thanks in advance for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 06:27 AM

19 posts, read 58,387 times
It would be perfect for you .St Xaviers school is right there too

Old 10-01-2009, 09:34 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Overpriced? Stable? Shady? Lovely? Cute?
all of the above. my advice, rent first. you'll learn a lot more while living down here. buying first is a mistake

Old 10-01-2009, 10:47 AM

253 posts, read 784,477 times
I agree with the last poster, rent first, see how you like the area and then buy if you find it suits all your needs. I don't know about schools, but since you're already leaning towards Catholic school that is good since living there would precipitate needing to send your kids to private school.
Good Luck!

Old 10-01-2009, 01:01 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,301,861 times
Rent for a year. Get to know the city. If you liked living in Brooklyn I think moving to Philly is an easy adjustment.

Fairmount is OK. but I wouldn't move there. The only thing it has going for it (in my book) is its proximity to Fairmount Park, the Whole Foods, and the aesthetics. I would pick Passyunk Square or East Passyunk Crossing in South Philly before I picked Fairmount. It's a lot more family oriented, down to earth, the transit is better and there are a lot more shops.

If you can afford it go for Bella Vista. Spruce Hill in West Philly also might suit you. Northern Liberties could work for you as well but it's also a bit pricey.

Anyway, Greenfield and McCall are the public K-8's in Center City and compare favorably to the better suburban schools. McCall's catchment runs down into Queen Village but i'm not sure of the exact boundaries. Much of Spruce Hill falls into the catchment for the Penn Alexander school and, as a result, is quite pricey. Passyunk Square and neighboring Bella Vista have Annunciation BVM (catholic) and Palumbo and Columbus which are both Charter schools.

I don't know what your price range is, that would help a lot in recommending a neighborhood.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:00 PM

I think solibs is pretty offbase on the family oriented angle. Passyunk square is a great area, don't get me wrong, but he is incorrectly knocking fairmount for not being family oriented. and of course, there's the complete lack of trees in south philly and the trash.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I think solibs is pretty offbase on the family oriented angle. Passyunk square is a great area, don't get me wrong, but he is incorrectly knocking fairmount for not being family oriented. and of course, there's the complete lack of trees in south philly and the trash.
No need to get snippy, like I said, that's my opinion. You can feel free elaborate as to why i'm wrong instead of retorting with the suggestion that Passyunk Square lacks trees (which is hardly true) or that there's a lot of trash (also not true).

Fairmount has kids, sure, and parts of it , i'm thinking north of Fairmount Ave., you'll find more of them. But it also happens to have a lot of childless 20 and 30 somethings and a lot of empty-nesters. The neighborhood has a lot of apartments and condos. Nothing wrong with that but, in Philly, most people with kids go for the rowhouse.

In Passyunk Square kids are everywhere. Just hang out at Capitolo or Columbus Squares for 10 minutes on a Saturday afternoon to see what I mean. Or stand at 10th & Reed for a few minutes.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:37 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Along with McCall, Meredith - also a very good school is in Queen Village - an area I suggest you look into. There are also Catholic schools in the area, but I don't know what they are.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
No need to get snippy, like I said, that's my opinion. You can feel free elaborate as to why i'm wrong instead of retorting with the suggestion that Passyunk Square lacks trees (which is hardly true) or that there's a lot of trash (also not true).
those are both true statements (more trash than fairmount anyways), and I think your opinion is way offbase. it would be one thing if you said "psquare is better for families" but saying fairmount is not family friendly is totally offbase. have you ever spent any time there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Fairmount has kids, sure, and parts of it , i'm thinking north of Fairmount Ave., you'll find more of them. But it also happens to have a lot of childless 20 and 30 somethings and a lot of empty-nesters. The neighborhood has a lot of apartments and condos. Nothing wrong with that but, in Philly, most people with kids go for the rowhouse.
fairmount is full of rowhomes (in fact, the neighbrohood of fairmount only exists north of fairmount ave), most of the apartments are south of fairmount ave where the bigger homes were (in spring garden).

Last edited by pman; 10-01-2009 at 09:07 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Along with McCall, Meredith - also a very good school is in Queen Village - an area I suggest you look into. There are also Catholic schools in the area, but I don't know what they are.
Meredith! I knew I was forgetting one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia