U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:18 PM

1,983 posts, read 6,843,384 times

Advertisements

Suggest you be careful with very old homes in the Philly region. A number of them are believed to be haunted in some form or another....seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 08:32 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times
if you believe in that stuff.

check out Chestnut Hill, a great old english village still in city limits

Old 04-17-2009, 09:03 AM

1,983 posts, read 6,843,384 times
Not saying I believe it, just saying there is plenty of stuff on the internet about it. There are groups of people investigating homes doing taped recordings in the region, etc and posting them on the net. These 'ghost hunters' claim that the homeowners are reaching out to them to investigate strange noises or events in their home. I doubt these stories are made up though they might be exaggerating the incidences.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:27 AM

980 posts, read 2,477,643 times
A home does not have to be old to have a ghost living in it. If you watch Ghost Hunters on the Sci-Fi Channel, you'll see they find ghosts in all kinds of places (including newer homes).

Old 04-22-2009, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,953 times
I agree with Jenkintown, Wyncote, Elkins Park for sure! I grew up in Wyncote, went through the public school system K-12, and am so glad my parents chose the area. Old Wyncote has a lot of Victorian homes that are really neat, but the whole area in general has a lot for you if that's what you're looking for. You can't beat being close to the train lines, the community feel, public schools and services, and location in general. My parents also were looking for an old house, redid it, and are still there 22 years later. The healthcare in the area is also good (Abington Memorial is close by).
Good luck!

Old 04-25-2009, 01:53 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,996,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
You might want to look into Collingswood, NJ. Old town with nice old houses, a great main street with shops and restaurants, and an easy commute to Philadelphia (the PATCO high speedline has a stop in Collinswood and it's a 15 minute train ride to Center City).
I also highly recommend Collingswood. Its a great historic town with a strong community feel and the taxes are very reasonable for Camden County.

Collingswood | Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

Collingswood, New Jersey | Collingswood, New Jersey

Old 04-29-2009, 12:28 AM

23,170 posts, read 28,586,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmicdancer View Post
This forum is so helpful, thank you for all the great information! I have a question about the suburbs of Philly. My husband is being transferred to the area in the coming months and we will be looking to buy a house (our price range is $250k-$300k). He is a systems engineer and will be traveling all over the city at various times of the day, so we would like to stay as close to the city as possible. We are looking for a neighborhood that has larger old homes with character and decent public schools for our 8 year old daughter. I have been doing some virtual walking on street view based on suggestions in previous posts and have seen some breathtaking homes in neighborhoods like Drexel Hill and Ardmore- that is the feel I am looking for . Our problem is, that the towns along the mainline seem to be out of our price range (at least after factoring in the taxes). Can anyone suggest any other areas within 20 or 30 minutes of downtown that have mature neighborhoods with that old world charm but are less expensive?
Thank you for your help!
Haddonfield

Old 09-13-2009, 07:57 PM

7 posts, read 13,806 times
Default moving to philly

I would look at Havertown and would love to help.

Lynn

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-14-2009 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: Real estate advertising

Old 09-13-2009, 08:50 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,757,287 times
Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Havertown are very nice and the communities around them are stable. They are West of Philly about 35 minutes from center city by auto. Rush hour can add 20 minutes to the trip.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:35 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,390,380 times
I wouldn't exclude the city necessarily. There's Parkside, Univ City around Powelton Ave., Locust and 43rd and around Clark Park are some historic houses. There are also historic houses you can visit- Orefeld (sp?), Lemon Hill, Laurel Hill, Sweetbriar, Woodford, Cedar Grove, and Mount Pleasant. Strawberry Mansion is not open and is under construction unless that has changed. Orefeld, not listed is off of Reservoir Dr. headed South toward southwest toward Mount Pleasant I think.

Mount Pleasant I think is the nicest house currently. Laurel HIll also has a summer series that is concerts by candlelight done through the women's society of Philadelphia I think.

Fairmount Park Houses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or