U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,652 times

Advertisements

This forum is so helpful, thank you for all the great information! I have a question about the suburbs of Philly. My husband is being transferred to the area in the coming months and we will be looking to buy a house (our price range is $250k-$300k). He is a systems engineer and will be traveling all over the city at various times of the day, so we would like to stay as close to the city as possible. We are looking for a neighborhood that has larger old homes with character and decent public schools for our 8 year old daughter. I have been doing some virtual walking on street view based on suggestions in previous posts and have seen some breathtaking homes in neighborhoods like Drexel Hill and Ardmore- that is the feel I am looking for . Our problem is, that the towns along the mainline seem to be out of our price range (at least after factoring in the taxes). Can anyone suggest any other areas within 20 or 30 minutes of downtown that have mature neighborhoods with that old world charm but are less expensive?
Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:03 PM

17 posts, read 32,738 times
I too was looking for a neighborhood close to the city with lots of character and got drawn to the Drexel Hill/Lansdowne area. I think the houses are beautiful, are affordable and have a lot of character.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:30 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Media has a great walkable downtown and very good schools. Wallingford - especially the section called Garden City has old homes and excellent schools and can have high taxes but the older/smaller homes probably have significantly less tax. Also check out Springfield and Ridley Park/Milmont Park.

I would probably avoid Lansdowne, Southeast Delco, Upper Darby and Interboro schools as they are not that great or are getting rougher with the influx of illegal attendees or transplants from the city.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:48 AM

271 posts, read 1,306,275 times
Check out Elkins Park, Cheltenham and Jenkintown for older houses too. They might have some options you can afford.
Also, some sections of Havertown, near Brookline Boulevard and Darby Road have older homes.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:25 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesixth View Post
Check out Elkins Park, Cheltenham and Jenkintown for older houses too. They might have some options you can afford.
Also, some sections of Havertown, near Brookline Boulevard and Darby Road have older homes.
Elkins Park (1st neighborhood across the city line off Rt 611 north of the city) has a lot of big old houses not as expensive as the Main Line.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:57 AM

980 posts, read 2,477,643 times
The taxes are extremely high in Elkins Park, though (all of Cheltenham Twp has really high taxes).

Old 04-10-2009, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,652 times
Thank You for all the suggestions, they are very helpful. We are going to visit some of the places that were suggested here this weekend.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:10 PM

165 posts, read 769,772 times
We too wanted a nice, big old home and just bought in Elkins Park. Taxes are high! I wish there was something we could do about that, but the home values are great for the money. Elkins Park, Wyncote, Glenside and Jenkintown. Really nice communities with great train lines and close to the city.

If you want an agent to work with, ours was amazing and is located in the area. She really knows how to represent a buyer. Send me a private message and I will give you her contact info.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:46 AM

980 posts, read 2,477,643 times
You might want to look into Collingswood, NJ. Old town with nice old houses, a great main street with shops and restaurants, and an easy commute to Philadelphia (the PATCO high speedline has a stop in Collinswood and it's a 15 minute train ride to Center City). Not sure what would be available in your price range, and the property taxes in NJ are high (but not higher than Elkins Park or Drexel Hill), so you might want to check it out.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:07 PM

5 posts, read 25,665 times
Default houses

Germantown, Mt. Airy and Chestnut hill are neighborhoods within the city limits, but in most cases they dont feel like it. Some of the most impressive historic homes, some going back to the 1700s, are found in these areas, and they are much cheaper than the suburbs (except in chestnut hill)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or