Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:54 PM

77 posts, read 415,031 times

Advertisements

Does any one in this forum live in Wayne PA or Ardmore PA
I would like to know what it is like now. I want to plan a trip through PA up to CT to visit, with an eye toward moving. My family lived back East from the 1500s and I feel lost in AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 08:26 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Wayne has a nice little downtown section, with plenty of parking. It's a bit pretentious (it's on the Main Line), but it's a very nice area. Schools are good, too. It's fairly expensive. Nearby is Valley Forge Park and also the King of Prussia Mall.

Ardmore is about 7-8 miles east, closer to Philadelphia. Also a bit pretentious, and a bit more congested than Wayne, though traffic is pretty bad everywhere along route 30. You've got Suburban Station (a kind of small lifestyle center built years ago), as well as the Barnes Foundation (a museum) about 10 minutes away.

Do a google or wikipedia search for Philadelphia's Main Line.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:22 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Bpp nailed it. Nice clean towns. Small commercial streets, except Rt 30 lancaster Ave., surrounded by leafy suburbia.

Ardmore has a small section with a little grit to it. Wayne doesn't.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:07 PM

Thank you for answering. My family was from the Main line although I haven't lived there since I was 5yrs old. I would like to visit. do you think any of the old families might still be there or has the character changed? It would be wonderful if I could find someone who knew my mother or grandparents.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:17 PM

Is Radnor High School still there? (Wayne, PA)

Old 10-20-2007, 01:22 AM

I thank you for your information. I noticed you are from villanova and I see it is very close to Belerose and Beechtree Lane, (from my perspective on the google map) Is it all that pretentious?
Is there alot of difference between Norristown and Wayne?
I did look up the Main line as you suggested. Though mother told me ", we are from the main line"
i suppose that could be construed as pretentious. On the yahoo map I noticed many oriental restaurants. I wonder if that means that the ethnicity of the area is now diverse, or is Asian food very popular?
Do you know if 537 W. Beachtree Lane, Stafford Village, Wayne PA
still has our old home on the lot? It appears on the google map to be an empty space?? If you have some free time to spare to drive by could you let me know if the house is still there? Thank you in advance. You can DM me at lbahama_06@yahoo.com

Old 10-22-2007, 02:32 AM

51 posts, read 213,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue578 View Post
I thank you for your information. I noticed you are from villanova and I see it is very close to Belerose and Beechtree Lane, (from my perspective on the google map) Is it all that pretentious?
Is there alot of difference between Norristown and Wayne?
I did look up the Main line as you suggested. Though mother told me ", we are from the main line"
i suppose that could be construed as pretentious. On the yahoo map I noticed many oriental restaurants. I wonder if that means that the ethnicity of the area is now diverse, or is Asian food very popular?
Do you know if 537 W. Beachtree Lane, Stafford Village, Wayne PA
still has our old home on the lot? It appears on the google map to be an empty space?? If you have some free time to spare to drive by could you let me know if the house is still there? Thank you in advance. You can DM me at lbahama_06@yahoo.com
Main Line is pretentious is you let it bother you.
If you have healthy self confidence you will never feel awkward or 'less than'
And the people who act arrogant are thr new money people.
The old guard and old money are very down to earth.

Radnor High was completely redone.

Lots of Asian joints to eat at because its popular and the Chinese/Thai /Vietnamese food is cheap for all the college kids here.
Good upscale Sushi places abound.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:53 AM

70 posts, read 233,512 times
I agree with sleek about the "new money people" You'll see that around a couple towns in Delco.....

Old 10-26-2007, 11:50 AM

45 posts, read 209,389 times
Ow wow and we are moving out to Arizona and here you are coming back LOL! That is once we sell our house. Love the Main Line with all the great places to eat and shop. You'll see it's really changed! I live in Broomall so I'm a skip outside the official "main line" area. You'll love it. Very family oriented, great shopping, terrific schools, and near to many things I can't fit to list here.

Good luck with your move! Where do you live in Arizona?

Old 11-11-2007, 07:42 PM

42 posts, read 146,824 times
Default wayne and ardmore

We moved from FL last Jan and rented a home in Wayne while househunting. I've been to many appointments in Ardmore so had to drive back and forth a lot..we left Wayne because it was way too pretentious for us..I agree with others about the new money vs. old money- I'm sure there's a huge difference. We just didn't feel welcome there- being new seems to be very difficult in the mainline area. Schools are great but not 'warm' or friendly- so we moved slightly west to Great Valley (Malvern, specifically) and love it. I agree that Wayne is very pretty- just not 'for us'...one huge lesson I learned is to go first, and feel it out. Buy something once you get a good feel for the area. You can't possibly know for sure until you live there for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia