Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,807 times

Advertisements

we will be moving to philadelphia next summer. we are looking best high school area and appartment. we dot no about philly and we are moving from tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 06:15 PM

9 posts, read 34,483 times
I haven't really had to look into the best high schools for quite some time but the old standards might still be holding their own: Central H.S. (was once all boys, but is now co-ed), Philadelphia H.S. for Girls' (yup, all girls'), Masterman, Creative Performing, Bodine H.S. . . . all have some really good programs. What I don't know is the current procedures for getting in -- some school are neighborhood-based but some schools require placement exams, and stellar middle school records. . .I'd check on the web. hope that helps.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:26 AM

58 posts, read 191,336 times
Good Luck in finding what you want here.......I cannot wait to leave,....I've lived here all my life ( I'm 45 yo) and Philadelphia sucks!!!! I am moving to NC this summer as soon as my daughter grauduates from HS. The crime rate is at an all time high (my husband is a police officer.......the city is at its 100th murder already..........summer's not here yet). My suggestion..........put your children in private school. Also the city is dirty!!! Have a nice day.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:42 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,584,962 times
This is a great city, pay no attention to the negativity of some posters. The murder statistic is misleading because it pretty much involves people who have a connection with each other. Now, what kind of area are you looking for - city or suburbs?

Old 04-03-2007, 09:00 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,526 times
Was born & raised here and loved it growing up. While there are many cool things about it, the police officer's wife up there was not exaggerating -- there have been that many murders in this city already. And bet it will be up within hours.
They were not accidents, and killing is killing. Teachers being assaulted in schools in N/W Philly have been in the news.

The people running the city are truly inept (and have had corruption scandals galore), and, yes, have let things go to pot -- although Center City is lovely and on the safe side. Some folks have managed to keep some pockets/neighborhoods nice, but we do not feel safe going into the old neighborhood we grew up loving (and it's not like it used to be -- clean!)

Just hit phillynews.com for both our major newspapers, or wpvi channel 6action news, cbs3 news websites.

My relative's a Philly cop as well.
Just know that Philly has some good and not so good to be aware of and come here with an open mind. Do some serious research via newspapers, TV news sites before you choose a neighborhood and school. I cried when family had to sell our home to flee to suburbs, still get homesick. But it wasn't safe anymore. Couldn't even park our cars on our own streets anymore without break-ins/damage/things missing ... The police are overwhelmed and short staffed. That is no exaggeration and all public record.

Where will you be working? And what is your price range? Safety must be a factor if you have a youngster. Gotta narrow some things down here for guidance.
Good luck to you.

Last edited by Travel'r; 04-03-2007 at 09:10 PM..

Old 04-03-2007, 09:27 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,000 times
Are you looking to move to the city or the suburbs?

There are many city neighborhoods that are very safe if you are leaning towards living in the city.
I've been in the city every day for the past 15 years and have never seen a crime let alone been a victim of a crime.

If you aren't into buying/selling drugs, starting trouble with the hoodrats, wandering into the ghettoes you should not have any problems.

If you are looking to move to the suburbs crime is almost a non factor unless you live in a select few older industrialized towns.

Good luck.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:27 PM

468 posts, read 2,357,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswinendine View Post
The crime rate is at an all time high (my husband is a police officer.......the city is at its 100th murder already..........summer's not here yet
If your husband is a police officer then he should remember Philadelphia in the late 80s and early 90s, when its murder rate and violent crime rate were worse than they are this year.

The murder rate is on track to be the worst in a decade... not the worst ever.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:35 PM

164 posts, read 200,028 times
Don't live in Killadelphia. Nobody can find work and it is rediculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig
The murder statistic is misleading because it pretty much involves people who have a connection with each other
Unless you got some proof to back that up, I call BS.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtm84 View Post
Don't live in Killadelphia. Nobody can find work and it is rediculous.

Unless you got some proof to back that up, I call BS.
Pick up a map of Philadlephia and then subscribe to the Philadlephia daily News. Thats all the proof you'll need.

97% of the murders have intended targets. 75% of the murder victims in Philadlephia have criminal records.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:56 PM

58 posts, read 191,336 times
97% of the murders have intended targets. 75% of the murder victims in Philadelphia have criminal records.[/QUOTE by rainrock]

Should this info make someone relocating to this city feel better? A murder is a murder whether it is intended or not. People sadly get killed in this city minding their own business everyday........how many school children were killed on their way to school or in the school yard last year. This city's statistics are outrageous!!! How can you feel safe in a city where not much is done about. City council and the mayor is a joke here, and quite frankly I'm embrassed to live here!!! Once upon a time .....yes Philadelphia was a nice place to live.......now.........forget coming here.........run!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia