U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 04:43 PM

5,929 posts, read 7,075,997 times

Advertisements

Check Media and Wallingford. Both have great schools.

Drexel Hill and Yeadon have some pretty questionable schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,147,680 times
I used to live in Morton and went to Springfield High School in delco. My dad currently still works at SHS lol! Anyway, Springfield and the surrounding towns were great. I really miss living there and go back home every chance I get. We lived close to Ridley. I loved walking around in Media.

A lot of the schools are very good, a friend of mine went to Penncrest High and she had very good teachers.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,042 times
Default it just all depends...

We live in the Clifton Heights/Aldan area of Upper Darby and have a toddler. Depending on your locale, some of the schools are still quite good (at least K-8). AND we meet often with a group of parents in our area who are interested in getting involved and improving the public schools instead of putting our children in private schools. Local principals and administrators often attend our meetings in the hopes of building stronger relationships and resources as well. I should add that there are a number of strong Catholic schools in Delco if that is interesting to you at all. Tuition is usually a fraction of what you would pay in other private settings.
There are some really lovely homes in our area--as well as around the corner in Lansdowne. No doubt there are parts of Lansdowne to be completely avoided--but it's a big area and has some really nice houses/yards/etc. around the heart of Lansdowne.
Public transportation offers several convenient options in our area: buses, trolleys, and regional rail (the latter is the shortest time for us), and you'll find childcare facilities are MUCH less expensive than those in the city. Trust me--I've got friends who pay almost double what I do--and I promise you our child's development and safety are our first concern in any situation.
My husband and I work for Penn--and we can be at work in 20 minutes with minimal traffic by cutting through Yeadon and West Philly. All the benefits of the suburbs without any major traffic headaches!
Bang for the buck fits this area as well, you'd be hard pressed to find as much house for the $$ as you can in this area. I still think our taxes are high (over 3 times what I paid in Richmond VA), but they won't cost you more than some of the fancier neighborhoods. It's a higher % in Delco, but the value of the homes is lower.
Soooo... If it looks too good to be true, you probably aren't interested and should avoid that neighborhood. But you can find 3-4 bedroom, 2 bath houses under $300,000, and in the right neighborhood under $200,000.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:40 PM

388 posts, read 966,019 times
West Chester. Forget Upper Darby.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y000og1 View Post
Hi!
My husband and I (and or 1 year old) are thinking of relocating to Delaware County PA. We chose Delco because it's 20 minutes from my parents (they live in DE) and because it's approx. 30 min from Philly. (we must have culture near, i.e. Museums, Theaters, etc.) We currently live in Long Island NY, I'm a Financial Analyst and my husband has his own Masonry business (bricks, stone, cement, stucco, patios, stoops, etc). We have been told that because Delco, like Long Island, has plenty of old homes there is definitely the potential for my husband to re-establish his business in this area. As for me, between Wilmington and Philly, I should be able to find a job. Here's what i'm wondering, we have been looking at homes in the following cities:
Aston
Drexel Hill
Upper Darby
Yeadon
Lansdowne
Are these good cities? Good school districts? Does anyone have any suggestions as to were else we could look? Also, any suggestions as to were we could maybe rent first while we purchase a home? ANY input, suggestions, comments, knowledge you can share about this area and relocating in general would be greatly appreciated!!!
We're looking to make this our permanent place were we can raise our family.

Hi, I recently purchased a home in Delaware county's Collingdale Burrough. It is not far from Springfield, Aldan and Media. The homes there are more spacious and you have more of a variety with the styles of homes. All are located approx 30 mins from Philly and Delaware. I really enjoy the clean and quiet as well as the convenience of being able to hop to the city or to Delaware. Glenolden, Folcroft, Norwood, Holmes. All are within walking distance from each other. Good schools here. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:54 AM

24 posts, read 77,059 times
They all seem decent to me. I wouldn't know about the schools tho we aren't going to be here that long for our daughter to go to school here.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:32 PM

19 posts, read 52,103 times
I would tell anybody looking to move into drexel hill to look else where (Springfield and havertown are great options right next door).. My parents just moved to broomall to escape the rising crime rate and deterioting neigborhoods (I still live in southern drexel hill by garretford elementary and the old st charles el school).. Its a shame because there are other really nice and beautiful locations in drexel hil that are very safe but some of the parts esp near clifton and lansdowne are starting to get worse..
You can't escape the UD school district when living in drexel hill which is a real deal breaker with families moving into the area (or lack of)

Old 05-30-2010, 08:42 PM

434 posts, read 1,152,778 times
y000og1- A bit off topic, but make sure your husband is aware of the Williamson Free Trade school in Middletown. If he is going to re-establish his masonry business in Pennsylvania I would imagine the students here would be a great resource for him. Everyone I've met (or hired) from Williamson has been fantastic. Welcome to The Williamson Free School of Mechanical Trades Good luck with your move!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:37 AM

5 posts, read 19,711 times
My husband and I are moving to Philly from Portland, Oregon after he got accepted at UPenn dental school Post grad. We have 2 kids. We're looking to rent in the suburbs that are close to university city (not more than 30 min. using the train) and also a very good school district. Please help! I feel lost! There're so many cities around philly!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 PM

400 posts, read 554,782 times
Talking Start Fresh

You'll get no (or almost no) answers to your moving question by piggybacking onto an old thread.

Fill out the sticky at the top about "questions for future and potential residents" and post that and you'll gets LOTS of responses. (Starting a new thread is on the forum page top left button that says "New Thread".)

Give it a title about where you're going, (titles like "Help Me Please" say nothing) and then stand back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia