U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 14,008 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My husband and I (and or 1 year old) are thinking of relocating to Delaware County PA. We chose Delco because it's 20 minutes from my parents (they live in DE) and because it's approx. 30 min from Philly. (we must have culture near, i.e. Museums, Theaters, etc.) We currently live in Long Island NY, I'm a Financial Analyst and my husband has his own Masonry business (bricks, stone, cement, stucco, patios, stoops, etc). We have been told that because Delco, like Long Island, has plenty of old homes there is definitely the potential for my husband to re-establish his business in this area. As for me, between Wilmington and Philly, I should be able to find a job. Here's what i'm wondering, we have been looking at homes in the following cities:
Aston
Drexel Hill
Upper Darby
Yeadon
Lansdowne
Are these good cities? Good school districts? Does anyone have any suggestions as to were else we could look? Also, any suggestions as to were we could maybe rent first while we purchase a home? ANY input, suggestions, comments, knowledge you can share about this area and relocating in general would be greatly appreciated!!!
We're looking to make this our permanent place were we can raise our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 03:15 PM

149 posts, read 580,447 times
I love Media though I can't speak to the school district. It has a vibrant business district, charming houses, lots of history.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:45 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,748,078 times
Media, Ridley Park, Swarthmore, Wallingford, Rutledge. All of these are charming areas near I-95 and will be close to DE and on the train lines. There are beautiful victorian homes in these areas and your husband should be able to find plenty of work. All have good schools, and Media has a nice shopping district. All of them do have some type of local shopping. We rented a home in Rutledge for a year, and we loved it there. It's a town of about 600 people and in the Swarthmore school district. I really wish that we had bought there.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 AM

76 posts, read 157,492 times
Media, Not Upper Darby, it's going down fast. Chadsford, not sure if that's Delaware County. Media School District is good. Springfield.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:54 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,752,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Media, Ridley Park, Swarthmore, Wallingford, Rutledge. All of these are charming areas near I-95 and will be close to DE and on the train lines. There are beautiful victorian homes in these areas and your husband should be able to find plenty of work. All have good schools, and Media has a nice shopping district. All of them do have some type of local shopping. We rented a home in Rutledge for a year, and we loved it there. It's a town of about 600 people and in the Swarthmore school district. I really wish that we had bought there.
Yes, Rutledge is a very cool, quiet place. I've been looking there recently for a home for an elderly friend of mine. I think Yeadon and Upper Darby are a bit risky because of the drug culture there.

How much is the OP looking to spend? I think Middletown (part of the Media school district) is a gorgeous area with some lovely, organic homes. Wallingford is also nice with a wonderful district and close to 95 with a short train ride to the city (25 minutes??). Aston is "okay" but is getting rather sprawly with an overabundance of strip malls and heavy congestion. Parts of Lansdowne are quite nice with a small "downtown' area and a local theater. Upper Providence (also part of Media) has some lovely homes as well with both Media, Newtown Square and a short drive to West Chester for shopping.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:28 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
It really depends on how much you are looking to spend.

Most of the areas you mentioned are not the greatest in terms of schools or the way the area is trending. In that immediate vicinity, Havertown or Pilgrim Gardens section of Drexel Hill have good schools (Haverford SD).

Also SE Delco as a whole is really congested and you will get a good bit of rudeness in the service sector and at the supermarket, etc.

Wallingford-Swarthmore SD is the best on that side of town closer in to the city. Liberal area, high taxes, great people...but high taxes!

Media is similar, Rose Tree-Media schools are only a notch below Wallingford, walkable downtown, family oriented, more racially diverse (Wanday Sykes recently bought a house here).

Garnet Valley SD is also very very good. Lots of new construction including new shopping but no town feel and lots of "keep up with the Joneses" types...this is what I imagine parts of LI to be like

Chadds Ford - best SD on that side of Delco, comparable to the Main Line Districts of Lower Merion (you should also consider this district) and Radnor (snobby). Chadds Ford is extremely rural - "Marley and Me" was shot here. Beautiful area if you don't mind the spread out nature of the place and the horrible drive up and down Route 1/Baltimore Pike...great proximity to Delaware though for tax free shopping and visiting your family.

Heading a tad Southeast is West Chester SD which lots of families really love - this is a super huge area with housing styles and neighbors to suit nearly everybody. West Chester has a big walkable down town with lots of great restaurants and places to shop - becoming more upscale every day, for better or worse.

Jump next door to the Downingtown SD which is even better but further removed from the city - good mix of homes and neighborhoods, new stores etc...just a tad removed from the city.

For lower priced homes, but a ways out there check out Phoenixville (up and coming but was bad 15 years ago and still has bad sections, walkable developing downtown, good schools) and Collegeville (pretty rural, new homes, affordable, good schools).

If you want to say in SE Delco and even more affordable, check out places like Springfield and Ridley SDs but I think everything I've mentioned above are better...

Old 02-24-2010, 07:14 AM

48 posts, read 176,597 times
aston, upper darby & drexel hill you should definitely stay away from; especially if you have a one year old. Aston isn't as bad but Upper Darby & Drexel Hill can get pretty shady.

As other users mentioned Media is decent, though the school district isn't great. I grew up in Garnet Valley and think it's still a great area; the class sizes have grown a lot but there is a huge wait-list for teachers in this school district which I think says something. There are tons of new homes in this area; I agree with what orrmobl said.

The traffic near Media and Springfield is a nightmare, though in the Garnet Valley, Chadds Ford areas it's a bit better (Chadds Ford stretches over both Garnet Valley and Chadds Ford-Unionville School Districts). If you are looking for a job as a financial analyst you should have no problem, especially in Wilmington; the commute from the Garnet Valley/Chadds Ford area to Wilmington is a breeze.

I'd definitely also suggest West Chester area. Not as many new homes, but there are a lot of new apartment homes (townhome type; they're huge) and big older houses. West Chester also has a small 'town' but it's got a university there so you may want to live further out into the suburbs to avoid the college crowd. It's a short drive to Wilmington, though a hike to Philly.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:05 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Actually Drexel Hill is kinda okay IMO especially west of North/South Lansdowne Ave. Unless there's been a dramatic change over the last few years. I do agree that Upper Darby is unfortunately on a downward slide, which I suppose could affect Drexel Hill on its fringes.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:53 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,752,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Actually Drexel Hill is kinda okay IMO especially west of North/South Lansdowne Ave. Unless there's been a dramatic change over the last few years. I do agree that Upper Darby is unfortunately on a downward slide, which I suppose could affect Drexel Hill on its fringes.
I agree. It's a dang shame because parts of Drexedl Hill contain some of the most stunningly beautiful homes in the county (although the taxes are obscene). It's only a matter of time before the dregs of UD seep in.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Sections of Drexel Hill EXCEPT Pilgrim Gardens are the Upper Darby School District which has lots of kids from the bad parts of the city whose parents lie about residency or move to the least expensive parts of UD to get into the school district, which is better than Philly but definitely on the decline; even the elementary schools are fair at best - this is why I would not recommend most of DH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia