U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 08:30 AM

9 posts, read 23,612 times

Advertisements

hi all,

we are thinking of moving to swarthmore, and i will be working at penn. i will typically leave for work after 9 am, so would avoid rush traffic driving to penn along baltimore pike in the morning.

should i expect a lot of traffic heading west along baltimore pike in the afternoon (between 4-6 pm)?

(i know that i could train to penn, but the house we're considering isn't within walking distance of the train station, so it may be quicker to just drive all the way in.)

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
My guess is that most people with that commute use 76 and I-95 instead of Baltimore Pike.

Swarthmore is only a few minutes from the Ridley Park exit on I-95. Baltimore Pikes traffic although formidable is less of a concern than having to go through some sketchy areas of far West Philly. Its not a great stretch and most people avoid driving through it.

It all has to do with your personal comfort level in city settings.

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:09 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,757,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jun21 View Post
hi all,

we are thinking of moving to swarthmore, and i will be working at penn. i will typically leave for work after 9 am, so would avoid rush traffic driving to penn along baltimore pike in the morning.
thanks!
Balti Pike is always full of traffic. You will encounter a lot of traffic lights but they seem tolerable going West at the time you will be going home. The squeeze is in Clifton Heights and Lansdowne. I would stay away from the Blue Route and I-95 if you can because each have their off and on traffic times and it usually gets crowded when you need to get somewhere fast.

My wife use to work for the school at Penn for 28 years and we use to live in Newtown Sq. Penn's parking 6 years ago was around $4.50/day and I use to park for free where I worked in Philly. Sometimes she went to work with her girlfriend so maybe carpooling could work to your advantage.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:00 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Ideally you would take the R3 Regional Rail Line to University city. If you want to drive, you would drive straight down Baltimore Pike - traffic going that way is not so bad and this is the fastest way to get to Penn; even the reverse commute will be a fairly easy one, except for the trolleys you can get stuck behind in the city. Synergy is right about the bottleneck through Clifton Heights - you may want to take Burmont Rd up to Garrett Rd and then make a left to pick up Baltimore Pike again. And the drive is a safe one - keep your windows up and doors locked if you are the skittish type but I have never had any problems driving through that section of West Philly.

But honestly, driving to the train and taking it in will be the fastest, most stress free, best use of time type commute.

Last edited by orrmobl; 04-15-2009 at 12:09 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 05:51 PM

9 posts, read 23,612 times
amazingly helpful replies. thanks!

Old 04-17-2009, 12:41 PM

271 posts, read 1,306,275 times
Your ride in the morning will be pretty easy. It's the afternoon commute that will take longer for the reasons mentioned above. But it is nothing too strenuous...and you may pass a lot of retail on the way home, so you can always get some errands done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia