U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 09:06 AM

980 posts, read 2,477,324 times

Advertisements

You may recall that we are investigating towns to relocate to - mostly in PA.

I was having coffee with a friend of mine who is a NJ realtor, and she commented that we should be careful when looking in PA because some towns have "funky" extra taxes, like occupation taxes, or wage taxes (in addition to the usual property taxes).

Do you know of any towns that have these extra taxes?

P.S. I know that Philly has the wage tax...I am inquiring more about the suburban towns.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 02:50 PM

9,237 posts, read 19,607,651 times
Newtown in Bucks County (Council Rock School District) has a 1% school tax. So if you make 50 grand a year, you pay $500. There are other school districts in Bucks and Montgomery counties that have this, but that's the only one I have first hand knowledge of.

A lot of towns have an "head tax" or per capita school district tax. In most towns I think it's like $15 a year.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:36 PM

Would the school tax be included in the tax figure listed on a realty web site? For example, if the tax on a Newtown house says "$5,000", does that include the school tax?

Old 04-16-2009, 05:41 PM

9,237 posts, read 19,607,651 times
Don't quote me, but I think if it's a property tax for the school district, it shows up on the listing. But if it's an income tax (for the privilege of living in the school disctrict) it may not have to be listed on the MLS.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:46 AM

316 posts, read 886,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
You may recall that we are investigating towns to relocate to - mostly in PA.

I was having coffee with a friend of mine who is a NJ realtor, and she commented that we should be careful when looking in PA because some towns have "funky" extra taxes, like occupation taxes, or wage taxes (in addition to the usual property taxes).

Do you know of any towns that have these extra taxes?

P.S. I know that Philly has the wage tax...I am inquiring more about the suburban towns.
Some towns do have wage taxes, more recently to help sustain their city budgets, but the other poster is right, its rarely above 1% and usually is associated with a well kept town and a better school district, and normally doesn't apply if you work in a town that already levies a wage tax, such as Philly.

For what its worth, I wouldn't discount NJ's taxes, which levy ones for working in either Philly or NYC. Not sure why PA taxes would be mentioned but the NJ ones left out. Its not something that should be overlooked, its done on purpose, if you think about it, if they didn't levy the tax, they'd be out a ton of money from their residents given the sizable number of them that work out of state.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:12 AM

34,793 posts, read 44,295,495 times
Most towns in PA have an occupation tax, an EMS tax (paid to where you work), plus a couple other ones. Property taxes are generally levied twice a year-the local jurisdiction (Boro, Town, Township, etc.) at one time and the school system at another time.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:51 PM

789 posts, read 1,734,380 times
Just stumbled across this thread, so if you've already gotten your answer, maybe this can help someone else. Many cities/towns in PA have local taxes. The local taxes would be local services taxes and/or earned income tax. Some areas have none, one or both. This site will help you determine whether the area you want to move into has any of these extra taxes (you can also look for real estate tax rates). Municipal Statistics Tax Reports

Keep in mind that you also need to consider where you will be working. So you could live in Media (outside of the boro) where there is no local earned income tax by residence, but there is a local wage tax, for the priviledge of working there. If you live in an area that has a local earned income tax and also work in an area that has a local wage tax, you often get a credit on your earning income tax return for the wage taxes paid up to the earned income tax rate. So if you live in Media Boro (1% earned income tax) and work in Philly (4.something % wage tax), you would not pay any earned income tax to Media Boro (you still have to file a return, you just get a credit for the taxes paid to the other locality), but would not get a refund for the excess tax paid. Hopefully that makes sense.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:14 AM

Thank you! That is very helpful. I am going to save that link for reference when doing my relocation research.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:43 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,289,577 times
I live in the Perkiomen Valley SD and that district levies an occupation tax. It's not the normal $15 tax but it's based on your job title. I pay about $450 or so a year for this tax. It's a ridiculous tax, really, if you think about it, in that you pay tax on whatever job title you give them.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:07 AM

1,740 posts, read 3,918,269 times
We pay a $50./year street light tax. Rumor has it they may tax the stop sign at the end of the street!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or