Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:56 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times

Advertisements

Please this last winter both NYC and Philly were clobbered with Nor'Easters something tends to miss Pittsburgh alot....

Pittsburgh get's nowhere near the lake effect as Cleveland and Erie...It's laughable you make it seem like Pittsburgh is in ME and while Philly is FL....Its All PA and the NE its the same weather, maybe Pittsburgh does get a few more flakes per year, but that so subjective to the year.

Today its 90 in Pitt, Philly and NYC....where's the difference, doesnt make a difference its all HOT as HELL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 01:13 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Please this last winter both NYC and Philly were clobbered with Nor'Easters something tends to miss Pittsburgh alot....

Pittsburgh get's nowhere near the lake effect as Cleveland and Erie...It's laughable you make it seem like Pittsburgh is in ME and while Philly is FL....Its All PA and the NE its the same weather, maybe Pittsburgh does get a few more flakes per year, but that so subjective to the year.

Today its 90 in Pitt, Philly and NYC....where's the difference, doesnt make a difference its all HOT as HELL!
Wait, I thought Philly had palm trees while we were miserable and snow covered till August.

Philly seemed to get a little warmer in the summer, and didn't get as many lake effect in the winter. But seriously, what is lake effect snow in Pittsburgh. A dusting a few nights a month from November to Feburary. Its not like the snow belt in Upstate N.Y.

Philly is an awesome town. I bet it would be fun to go to school there. You just got to stay away from certain neighborhoods at night. They are going to have more amenities than Pittsburgh like a better music scene, better theater, closer to other big cities, etc.

The thing I loved with my short time there was being able to go to the Jersey shore and back.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:06 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,196 times
Pittsburgh average annual snowfall: 43.5 inches
Philadelphia average annual snowfall: 21 inches

So every Pittsburgh winter is like 2 Philly winters. It may not be Maine but it's definitely not Philly either.

I went to Penn State and I remember the miserable winters. My BIL lives in Pittsburgh and it seems he's getting snow almost every time I speak to him in the winter months. It's a big difference.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:29 AM

Again the SAME thing was in both Philly and NYC this year...ALOT OF SNOW...Feets of it....I had to work from home many times this year, and I live in NYC....

Philly winters are No Paradise either.....Pittsburgh gets Lake affect snows, While Philly and NYC get 2 day Nor'Easters. Pick your poision..Either way your going to get Cold, Snow and Ice.

Now Pittsburgh may be a more difficult because of it Hills in the winter, I will give you that.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:32 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Quote:
Philly winters are No Paradise either.....Stop making it seem like it is.
Ummmm they're not bad at all (at least compared to what they used to be). Take it from me; I wear shorts year round.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Ummmm they're not bad at all (at least compared to what they used to be). Take it from me; I wear shorts year round.
Well you are super human then! because that with that brutal cold from this these last couple of winters its a wonder you don't have pneumonia.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Quote:
Well you are super human then! because that with that brutal cold from this these last couple of winters its a wonder you don't have pneumonia.
Nearly 21 winters without pneumonia strong.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:02 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,196 times
This past winter was the first brutal winter I can remember since '95-'96. We have had big snow since then but not the bitter cold and biting wind like we did this year. Most Philly winters are very mild, unfortunately because I love snow - just not bitter cold temperatures and wind.

Do you live here Blackbeauty or have you been here in winter? The winters you describe petered out in the early 90's.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:38 AM

I lived in Philly for 3 years before moving to NY......Pitt-Philly-NY I know very well.....and none of these cities have mild winters, I'm sorry its just not true...

You may get a couple of day above 40 in any given city but not week long stretches like you post suggests.

Fact the East Coast from mid-VA up to Maine - Is cold and snowy in the Winter, Doesnt matter if it Pitt, Philly, NY, Boston, DC, B'more you're going to have SNOW! Tons of it.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:54 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
I remember the Blizzard of '96. I lived in Center City at the time and it was a ghost town for for three days.

This winter in the DC area was mostly cold, bitter wind except for one big snow that anywhere north of Philly would have had enough experience and equipment to dig out of pretty quickly.

Although I haven't visited Pittsburgh, I've always pictured it as a down-to-earth city (not unlike ours) with some Midwestern influence while retaining the benefits, such as they are, of living in Pennsylvania. For that reason, I have a lot of respect for the town... occasional trash-talkin' sports fan visitors to our forum, notwithstanding. lol Congrats to the Penguins, though; obviously the Flyers didn't come to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia