Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:39 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Pittsburgh average annual snowfall: 43.5 inches
Philadelphia average annual snowfall: 21 inches

So every Pittsburgh winter is like 2 Philly winters. It may not be Maine but it's definitely not Philly either.

I went to Penn State and I remember the miserable winters. My BIL lives in Pittsburgh and it seems he's getting snow almost every time I speak to him in the winter months. It's a big difference.
LOL, do you really think that a Pittsburgh winter is like TWO Philly winters. I lived in both cities. I remember being hit by a harsh Noreaster in Philly. It was kind of cool because it shut down the city, and I didn't have to go to work, and big snow storms bring some kind of peaceful tranquility to a city.

Pittsburgh didn't have hardly any snow this year. We had no storms over 6 inches, which Philly did. We just get more small dusting to 3 inch snow falls here because of lake effect. Winter is winter across the N.E.

Pittsburgh may have two winters compared to San Juan, but not Philly. It might be more like 1.00000000000000000000000000001 times more of a winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:21 PM

7 posts, read 21,359 times
I lived in Pittsburgh for a few years and live in the Philly area now. One thing I can tell you for sure is that there are a LOT more sunny and partly sunny days in Philly than the 'burgh. A look at weather.com will show you that the average temperatures are not that much different, but Philly is consistently a few degrees warmer than Pittsburgh. That means a bit less snow and icing during the winter. I did not see snowfall averages, but from the previous post, it looks like Pittsburgh averages twice the snowfall of Philly. One of the best reasons to relocate is the better culture offered here and the proximity to the coast and other big cities. Pittsburgh is really out there in the middle of nowhere, not the best place for a student looking for a weekend escape from the books. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:36 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
^^^^ I really can't tell....Philly like NYC....Is also getting a TON of Rain this Spring...This is on the backheels of a brutal winter....I've seen Philly go almost a week with no sun at all....

Old 04-28-2009, 10:22 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I lived in Philly for 3 years before moving to NY......Pitt-Philly-NY I know very well.....and none of these cities have mild winters, I'm sorry its just not true...

You may get a couple of day above 40 in any given city but not week long stretches like you post suggests.

Fact the East Coast from mid-VA up to Maine - Is cold and snowy in the Winter, Doesnt matter if it Pitt, Philly, NY, Boston, DC, B'more you're going to have SNOW! Tons of it.
Oh ok so you lived here 3 years and think you know the winter weather?

I'm telling you we had bad storms and Nor'easters every couple of years until '95-96, now it's been 2 big storms since. We just don't get the bitter cold and consequently the snow like we used to.

Sorry but this is yet another category in which Pittsburgh finds itself on the low end.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I've seen Philly go almost a week with no sun at all....
Did it remind you of the entire winter in Pittsburgh?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Pittsburgh may have two winters compared to San Juan, but not Philly. It might be more like 1.00000000000000000000000000001 times more of a winter.
I love how you guys were here for the twice-a-decade Nor'easter and call the two cities weather the same LOL!

If .00000000000000000000000000001 = .999999999999999999999999999999 in your version of math, then, yeah, the season is identical in both cities.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:56 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Oh ok so you lived here 3 years and think you know the winter weather?

I'm telling you we had bad storms and Nor'easters every couple of years until '95-96, now it's been 2 big storms since. We just don't get the bitter cold and consequently the snow like we used to.

Sorry but this is yet another category in which Pittsburgh finds itself on the low end.
I lived in NYC for 9 years going on 10 and still have close friends and family in Philly and probably visit Philly at least 10 times a year....Philly is only 90mins away from NYC...and they pretty much have the same weather....As a matter of Fact I get weather updates on my blackberry for NYC, Philly and Pittsburgh every morning...because i'm so connected to all 3 cities.

I can say definitively orrmobl is spreading fallacies to prop up Philly weather to seem better then Pittsburgh which is only 5hrs aways...YEAH big difference.

Philly, Pittsburgh and New York...Pretty much are in lock step when it comes to weather and temps. Winters are more rough in Pittsburgh because Pittsburgh is hilly where both Philadelphia and New York are most part Flat.

Philadelphia and NY are both hit with No'Easters year round....Rainstorms in the Spring and Summer months Snowstorms in the winter...Happened every year for 13 years that i have been in either Philly or NY...And the Snowstorms cripple both Philly and NY the same way a snowstorm does Pittsburgh by bringing 6-12 inchs of Snow.

How the Rain in Philly today...I bet its the same grey, gloomy kind like up here in Manhattan. and Look at that, the Sun is out to over Pittsburgh, gee golly now there's one for the record book...

Pittsburgh's 5 day
Weather - kdka.com

Philly's
Weather - cbs3.com

New York's
New York Weather - wcbstv.com

Now someone please tell me where Philly's weather is momentously better then Pittsburgh's look pretty much the same to me.

To the OP if you're against SNOW period, GET OFF THE EAST COAST...Its that simple.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:01 AM

22 posts, read 57,502 times
don't have a problem with snow or precipitation so much as cloud cover.

eh, it would also be a new interesting place to live. PGH is surrounded by ignorance.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:10 AM

22 posts, read 57,502 times
//pics2.city-data.com/w6/sun19134.png (broken link)

//pics2.city-data.com/w6/sun19125.png (broken link)

from city-data itself.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudpainting View Post
PGH is surrounded by ignorance.
LOL! A truer sentence has never been uttered. The only upside to Pittsburgh is the cost of living - because no one wants to live there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia