U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2007, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 14,607 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am relocating to work in the West Chester area and am looking for suggestions of where to live in the area. We are looking to also reside close to public transportation into Philadelphia. My spouse, our dog, and I are moving from the Boston area and we are an interracial couple. We work in the medical technology and investment finance arena. We are looking to rent a home or townhouse in the short term in the range 1,500-1,700/ Mo.

My research on this site thus far has suggested the West Chester, or Paoli area. We would appreciate any addition information from those that live in the area about the culture and possible other areas that might be good choices to evaluate. Also we would like to know of places to avoid. We are looking for a more suburban/rural location and do not have the need to be in a city – like area, although we would like relatively close access to shopping centers and the like.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Louie Louie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 12:19 PM

179 posts, read 991,992 times
weat chester and paoli give you the best access to the public transportation. I believe paoli has more advatages in transportation as it has the train running through the main part of town that gives you access to all areas including philly. W Chester has good routes through it. Exton would also be an area you should check out. W chester is a great town but it is a college town also which is good and bad. also it has a shortage of parking in it and is more of a small city than anyother place around.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:40 PM

Thank you William for the qiuck reply as this informationis very helpful.
I will look at Exton as well.

Thank again!

Louie

Old 04-01-2007, 01:14 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,677,578 times
I grew up in WC, Louie,
If you do a search on my name some stuff about it will come up.
As mentioned, parking is BIG a problem and you want to avoid rentals
around the college or south end of town. WCU is a very problematic
entity in that part of community. They love alcohol and they love
vandalism ! Move around there only if you like staying awake and
sweeping up glass !
I would pick WC over Exton because it is such a great walking town and
the festivals and stuff like that that would be right outside your door.
Exton is not as walkable, alittle more car oriented and the nieghborhoods
are kind of cookie cutter boring, to me.
The Septa 104 line goes straight into 69th St. and has a few stops on
High St. in WC and Rt. 3.
You will be able to find something in your price range that will be suitable
but apartments go very fast if they are nice.
As already mentioned, dont discount Paoli or Malvern either.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:55 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
The Mainline towns are always worth a look. Between the Mainline and Chestnut Hill is probably the battle of the two most prestigious areas of Philly.The Mainline towns host several very highly rated liberal arts colleges including Bryn Mawr,Haverford,Rosemont,Cabrini

Mainline towns include( from west to east along RT 30) Paoli,Wayne,Berwyn,Radnor,Villanova,Haverford,Rose montArdmore,Bryn Mawr,Narberth,Merion,Bala Cynwd which borders Philadelphias Fairmount Park.

If you are riding around one day and have some spare time go check out the huge estates of Villanova,Radnor,Gladwyne,Gulph Mills and Penn Valley. They are truly something to see.

Closer to West Chester and Exton- Chester Springs, Lionville,Kimberton,Valley Forge and Pickering Valley are also very nice areas worth checking out.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the information Rain, and Kosmic!
This is very help full.

Kind regards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or