U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:05 AM

33,072 posts, read 61,899,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep77 View Post
Token machines that take debit and credit cards.
Better yet, shift to a fare card system similar to DC's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 09:13 AM

6,183 posts, read 5,150,594 times
They need to have a link between West Trenton and Trenton rail stations

Old 05-26-2009, 09:38 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,479,561 times
token machines at all stations would be nice. I'd also say that improving the BSL stations would be better than replacing the cars, which I don't have a problem with. they're older than the MFL cars but seem to work better.
I'd build a park n ride at Broad and Olney.
Re RRD: the new cars are already late, they can't speed it up any more. I'm also curious how the new late night trains are faring on the R6 and R5 trains. I'd love to see that service extended to the northern and southern suburbs as well.
regarding KoP, see planning: R6 Extension Study Landing Page the project is alive and well, though the ill conceived SVM was finally scrapped.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:50 AM

144 posts, read 423,060 times
Ticket machines at all train stations so one doesn't have to pay the penalty fare.

One thing that could free up money all around would be to stop having buses stop at every block. Having lived overseas and seen buses go 4 blocks and sometimes more in between stops SEPTA could get rid of a lot of their stops and save huge on gas and speed things up a little. Certainly some people would have to walk an extra block or two but since we're always told we're a nation of fat people would this really be a bad thing? The money saved could be invested in upgrades to the entire system.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:43 PM

698 posts, read 1,368,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkosiek View Post
Ticket machines at all train stations so one doesn't have to pay the penalty fare.

One thing that could free up money all around would be to stop having buses stop at every block. Having lived overseas and seen buses go 4 blocks and sometimes more in between stops SEPTA could get rid of a lot of their stops and save huge on gas and speed things up a little. Certainly some people would have to walk an extra block or two but since we're always told we're a nation of fat people would this really be a bad thing? The money saved could be invested in upgrades to the entire system.
Okay, a little more exercise would be good for many. But, there are many older folks whose only transportation is the bus--many can't manage the subway stairs. These people may be not be overweight, but may have arthritis or other problems that make walking a few extra blocks a hardship that would keep them home.

As far as subways--It wouldn't cost much to clean up the stations and unblock the drains so one doesn't have to step in a wide and filthy puddle at the bottom of the stairs every time it rains. The station at 19th and Market just makes me cringe--teaming with "life" and I mean fungi, not the homeless. I know I got ringworm on my foot there a few years ago

As far as Regional Rail--Can't they be made to run on time? Some trains run late several times a week? Waiting an extra 30 min to an hour makes one very unhappy after a long day at work.
Ticket machines are a good idea--can they be vandal proof?--because you know it's Philly and---

Old 05-26-2009, 07:18 PM

54 posts, read 274,553 times
Send everyone who works at SEPTA to Singapore so they can learn how a proper metro system works. I know it is wrong, but sometimes I wish we can just flog the people who litter and/or smoke in the subway stations.

But in reality, here some simple things they can do. Use the money to increase weekend service. Nobody should wait more than 10 minutes in the heat for a trolley. Also clean the subway stations, 30th Street Station smells like a toilet. Build more homeless shelters so people have a place to go.
Also, would it kill for subway attendants and bus drivers to be able to make change. I was late to work today, because I had to wait in line at a gas station in order to break a $20.

That being said, it could be worse. Outside of the East Coast and Portland, most American mass transit systems are horrible.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:46 AM

596 posts, read 1,547,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I think this may have been part of the long-proposed Schuykill Valley Metro that was supposed to run through KOP and out to Reading. I suppose the powers that be are waiting for full approval and funding of the whole line before that would be used.
There has been "talk" of the Schuykill Valley Metro since well before I moved here 6 years ago. According to information I looked up, the original plan, which would have alleviated traffic on I-76/I-476 between PHL and KOP has been shelved. Instead the focus was to extend the SEPTA R6 line beyond Norristown to Reading. This has since fallen through as well. It's absolutely reprehensible (and embarrassing) that elected officials can't come together to form a comprehensive mass transit plan for the region.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Okay, a little more exercise would be good for many. But, there are many older folks whose only transportation is the bus--many can't manage the subway stairs. These people may be not be overweight, but may have arthritis or other problems that make walking a few extra blocks a hardship that would keep them home.
I agree with the previous poster regarding bus stops at every single corner. Especially in Center City where the blocks are quite short. I'm fairly certain other cities have a similar population demographic and have managed to avoid putting the other 97% through the paces of stopping every 30-40 feet to load/unload. In addition, SEPTA offers a special service (CCT Connect) for the disabled/handicapped, alleviating said hardships.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:59 AM

Ok, one last post for the day...SEPTA gets me going!

Can anyone please explain the "A' train/"B" train fiasco on the Market Frankford Line? I could understand if the trains were so frequent during rush hour that this method could be needed, but with 10 minute breaks between "A" trains....not rational. Additionally, I have never figured out why all trains stop at all stops west of Spring Garden. 2nd Street, 5th Street, 8th Street and even 11th Street for the most part aren't that heavily utilized at rush hour inbound. It appears 75% of the riders disembark at 13th and 15th Streets. Logic would seem to dictate running a local and an express, rather than the current "A" and "B" system. "Express" from Spring Garden to 13th Street. And a "local" from Spring Garden to 13th Street.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:36 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,479,561 times
1) 30th st station has improved dramatically and doesn't smell that bad and when it does, it's usually for a day, not a week like it used to be. I use it everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
There has been "talk" of the Schuykill Valley Metro since well before I moved here 6 years ago. According to information I looked up, the original plan, which would have alleviated traffic on I-76/I-476 between PHL and KOP has been shelved. Instead the focus was to extend the SEPTA R6 line beyond Norristown to Reading. This has since fallen through as well. It's absolutely reprehensible (and embarrassing) that elected officials can't come together to form a comprehensive mass transit plan for the region.
I haven't heard that at all, in fact, I heard that the R6 extension (which is what the plan should have been all along) was being considered for ARRA funds

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
Logic would seem to dictate running a local and an express, rather than the current "A" and "B" system. "Express" from Spring Garden to 13th Street. And a "local" from Spring Garden to 13th Street.
with 4 minute headways and two tracks I don't think this is possible. they should have buried the el in west philly and made it at least three tracks but they didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia