Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,031 times

Advertisements

This is probably an over-asked question, but I will try and be as helpful as possible. My husband is going to PCOM in August and we need a place to live.

We are moving sometime in July - at the latest, August 1.
We're coming from Pittsburgh, although my husband is from Harrisburg.

He's going to PCOM.
I don't have a job - I need one. I am looking for something in the social service field, but I only have a bachelor's degree.
We were in Philly for my husband's interview, but we are going out this weekend to get a better feel for the city.

We will probably rent at first. We are looking for a pet-friendly, at least 2 br. rental. Preferrably, we'd like something with some semblance of a yard. We can spend up to $800/mo.

We have no children.
We have a 12 year old dog.

We would really really love a yard. Even if it's tiny. Our pup doesn't need much room for her business.
We will have cars, although we may sell one.
We would love to live in a bustling area filled with activity.

We'd like to be closest to my husband's school, which is at 4170 E City Ave. 19131.

We would prefer a really diverse place - we are coming from a suburb of Pittsburgh that is very spread out and we are most excited about having neighbors.

If anyone has any ideas, please respond. Also, I am looking for a job, as I said, in the social services field. If anyone knows of any sort of homeless outreach, or even a good place to start looking for that kind of thing, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 02:46 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,208,841 times
You're asking for a helluva lot for $800 a month.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:10 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,527,100 times
I had a neighbor who relocated from Altoona to attend PCOM then sold her home to another PCOM student. This was in Drexel Hill - you can buy a rowhome for $140K or less if that interests you. Rent should be cheaper than places in Bala or Wynnewood would be...

Old 05-14-2009, 09:19 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,112 times
2 BR for 800? probably not. unless you dont mind a shotty neighborhood. east falls is kind of cheap you could get a nice 1 br for 800. im not sure what a rowhome goes for (rent) in that area but its probably over 800. dont be to over excited to have neighbors....it all depends on who they are (noise, shadyness, etc...)

Old 05-20-2009, 06:03 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,627 times
I'd recommend Port Richmond/Fishtown. I live there and think it's a great place to live in the city that's still affordable. You're still close to downtown yet with a quieter residential feel. A lot of younger people are moving in...artists/writers/young professionals/grad students/etc. There are a lot of improvements happening. New construction, renovation of existing homes, new restaurants and shops opening...kind of fun to be witnessing the metamorphosis. Good luck!

great home for rent, great area (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1177033821.html - broken link)
Great 2 Bedroom house in Fishtown/East kensington (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1154267033.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia