Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 9,505 times

Advertisements

OK i've been living out of Philly for over 11 years now. i use to go in the summers to visit my grandma in west Philly during the summer. but now this summer ill be staying at a relatives house in north philly and im scared as heck. all my life i've heard such bad thing about north philly. about how dangerous it is. now mind you i've been living in the suburbs for these past 11 years so im not quite use to urban life anymore. i always get freaked out when i go in the city even when i use to stay at my grandmas house in west philly. but i've heard north philly is worse than west.

should i be worried? and what neighborhoods are hot spots for crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 08:15 PM

41 posts, read 239,412 times
Your'e going to want to stay out of the badlands neighborhood. As well as Kensington.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:37 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
If you don't know already, ask your relative for the name of their neighborhood. It's true that North Philly has the most contiguous challenged neighborhoods in the city but some even so, some are better than others.
See this recent thread for some examples:

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...ladelphia.html .

Old 05-18-2009, 07:59 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,728 times
Temple Univ is probably one of the better Universities in the US and it is located in N Philly. There are spots of so called continuous crime and there are spots of homes that are new... But it doesn't mean that the new homes are in crime free neighborhoods.

My good friend graduated from Drexel U and his wife is an attorney and they live in a regular row home in N Philly a few blocks East of Temple U.. I would say just be aware of your surroundings and make it a point to make friends. What is the name of the street you be living and don't say Broad Street? hahahaha Good luck and just be a friendly person we all want living next to us and you will do just fine.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:04 AM

4 posts, read 9,505 times
well i think its near Allegheny. how is that area?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:17 AM

Unfortunately I can't make a positive recommendation for Allegheny, especially for someone who is not accustomed to city life. Unless you feel obligated to help out your relative, I'd contact Temple University about short-term housing or re-consider your stay here.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
Tone - the OP said nothing about going to Temple. Just that s/he was going to be in North Philly for the summer.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:55 AM

25 posts, read 60,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helwa1988 View Post
well i think its near Allegheny. how is that area?
Which side of Allegheny? There's the somewhat quiet side behind the hospital (between Broad and Germantown Avenue) and the busier sections (the lower # streets, near the bus station at 25th and Allegheny).

I don't think that area's bad - of course, I used to live near Broad and Hunting Park. positive was that I never needed an alarm clock - the sound of increasing truck activity in the area was usually around 6AM and that work me up better than most clocks

Old 05-18-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Tone - the OP said nothing about going to Temple. Just that s/he was going to be in North Philly for the summer.

I understand that. I was just trying to suggest convenient alternatives where the OP might feel more comfortable. Assuming that Temple's Off-Campus Housing list is available to non-students, I thought might provide some more options.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:45 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
where on allegheny? that's a long strip that runs from allegheny west (near east falls) to port richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia