Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 AM

73 posts, read 306,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Very generally it is like New York except there is a much larger African American influence (much of it the poor variety) and far fewer non-english speakers. Most of the city is blue collar, working class or poor. Downtown (Center City) is a mix of young profesionals, many from someplace else, and student types and rich , empty nesters living in brownstone walkups and hi-rise luxury apartment houses. There is also a "gayborhood" and a Chinatown, lots of bars, resturants, museums etc. It is very much a mini Manhattan. The far northeast section of the city is mostly middle class, white cops and firemen types and retires. there is also a large Russion communiy up there. The far north west (Chestnut Hill) has pockets of wealth and middle class blacks (Mount Airy). The river wards along the Delaware are pretty much poor white people (Fishtown, Pt Richmond, Kennsington) with "urban pioneers" in Northern Libertys. . Most of the area north and west of downtown right to the city line is the black poor. South Philly is a very dense and crowded area with large italian/American population and other ethnic areas Mexican, Vietnamese, indian etc.and also some black poor as well.
I've lived in Manhattan and Philly and I can't say that Philly reminds me much of NY. The times I have felt like I was in a mini-Manhattan are few and far between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 12:38 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,027 times
Oh. Whatever.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:55 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,610,934 times
Quote:
Very generally it is like New York except there is a much larger African American influence (much of it the poor variety) and far fewer non-english speakers. Most of the city is blue collar, working class or poor. Downtown (Center City) is a mix of young profesionals, many from someplace else, and student types and rich , empty nesters living in brownstone walkups and hi-rise luxury apartment houses. There is also a "gayborhood" and a Chinatown, lots of bars, resturants, museums etc. It is very much a mini Manhattan. The far northeast section of the city is mostly middle class, white cops and firemen types and retires. there is also a large Russion communiy up there. The far north west (Chestnut Hill) has pockets of wealth and middle class blacks (Mount Airy). The river wards along the Delaware are pretty much poor white people (Fishtown, Pt Richmond, Kennsington) with "urban pioneers" in Northern Libertys. . Most of the area north and west of downtown right to the city line is the black poor. South Philly is a very dense and crowded area with large italian/American population and other ethnic areas Mexican, Vietnamese, indian etc.and also some black poor as well.
Pretty reasonable description

Old 04-29-2009, 10:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,002 times
Wow- lots of defensive stuff going on here! Obviously there are great people everywhere - the OP was just asking for a snapshot of the city!I have lived in the Philly area now for a year- originally from Massachusetts and have lived in Boston, Cape Cod, Atlanta, Seattle, NH, - I appreciated the OP snapshot/generalization of Boston and NYC and would agree- so here's my take. Much more beautiful than I imagined (particularly in Chestnut Hill, Mt Airy, Society Hill, Main Line); very large working class orientation and while there are many many fine colleges here- it definitely does not have the 'intellectual' chops of Boston (Boston/Cambridge celebrates its' relationship to Harvard and MIT,etc to the extent that everyone 'owns' a piece of that snobbery!) ; the neighborhoods are family focused, as an example in Roxborough; very high Jewish population in Wynnewood, other Main Line towns; Manayunk is a LOT of 20 somethings living, partying. Philly is geographically/racially separated in a way that reminds me of Atlanta- example: City Line Avenue. I live on the Wynnewood side of City Line- one block over the difference in housing costs and lifestyle is night and day. A HUGE disparity in income and opportunity. That was/is a surprise to me. Sports= dynamic fans who represent more diversity than I saw in Boston (BTW- I love the Red Sox and the Patriots but I did get caught up in the Phillies and I watched the Eagles- I like good sports towns and this is one). Overall, I think the Philadelphia area is beautiful, architecturally interesting, strong family orientation, excellent restaurants, good theater (not NYC though!) , great sports town and is on the cusp of being great- or not.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:03 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
assuming people at a downtown bar talk about daddy's yacht is no different than assuming places like fishtown and port richmond are all ghetto. neither is factually correct and have little basis in reality. back to the OP's question, strange as it is. The Philly area has more Irish than Boston, believe it or not. there are more people of Irish descent than any other metro area. The pace of life is slower tha NYC but faster than most other places.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:25 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,340,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
assuming people at a downtown bar talk about daddy's yacht is no different than assuming places like fishtown and port richmond are all ghetto. neither is factually correct and have little basis in reality. back to the OP's question, strange as it is. The Philly area has more Irish than Boston, believe it or not. there are more people of Irish descent than any other metro area. The pace of life is slower tha NYC but faster than most other places.
I stand by what I say here and the other thread about Green Street. It's unfortunate that you and a few others can't disagree with someone on this forum without insulting them in the process.

Last edited by lititzman2003; 04-30-2009 at 03:25 PM..

Old 04-30-2009, 06:53 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
Some of the most upstanding, hardest-working people I've ever met come from Port Richmond, Kensington, Fishtown and the areas that you refer to as the "ghetto"!
Answering a question as broad as the OP's, it's necessary to generalize somewhat. Of course there are good people everywhere. My descriptions just tried to capture the general atmoshere in each community.
Having said that, I think there is a special place in hell for those "good" people who choose to raise their innocent children in high crime neighborhoods where their futures are in jepordy. There is no excuse for doing that to a child, no matter how upstanding and hard working you are.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:43 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,340,622 times
Quote:
Answering a question as broad as the OP's, it's necessary to generalize somewhat. Of course there are good people everywhere. My descriptions just tried to capture the general atmoshere in each community.
Having said that, I think there is a special place in hell for those "good" people who choose to raise their innocent children in high crime neighborhoods where their futures are in jepordy. There is no excuse for doing that to a child, no matter how upstanding and hard working you are.
Agreed. It used to be parents sacrificing everything for the education and well-being of their children. However, over the last several years, I've SOME people put their own needs first, and as a result, children are suffering unnecessarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia