Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,869 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Will be moving to Philly in the next couple of months, and be working at Albert Einstein hospital. Saw that the nearest subway station is Olney, and I was wondering about the overall safety of the place? I'll be using it "around the 7's" (7 am and pm). Using the subway will greatly determine where I live in Philly, and if I bring my car with me.

Thanks all in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 01:53 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,973 times
It is not that great. During the school year you got to be extra careful in the morning when Philly's "lovely" youths are going to school.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:22 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Anomaly View Post
Hi all,

Will be moving to Philly in the next couple of months, and be working at Albert Einstein hospital. Saw that the nearest subway station is Olney, and I was wondering about the overall safety of the place? I'll be using it "around the 7's" (7 am and pm). Using the subway will greatly determine where I live in Philly, and if I bring my car with me.

Thanks all in advance
It's a large center so there's usually people at all hours of the day in and out. Just keep your guard up and you should be fine. Welcome to Philly!

Old 05-05-2009, 08:19 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,891,482 times
There's an Exit from the subway, that lets you out closer to the hospital and not so close to the actual Broad and Olney terminal so you should be good...only about 50 feet from the exit to the being on the Campus.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:15 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,611 times
that intersection is a friggin madhouse on the weekends. i generally avoid any area that has a "church's chicken". i would be concerned for safety in the winter when it gets dark early. try to find other coworkers that will also use the subway. strength in numbers. thats how the thugs think. fight numbers with numbers. thugs are cowards if they dont outnumber their victims.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:49 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
i generally avoid any area that has a "church's chicken".
And what's wrong with Church's Chicken...?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:39 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
be careful, it's not great but it's not a shooting gallery either. I don't use it every day but i have used it off peak (and late at night) as well as rush hour. Most people are doing what you're doing. It's the most heavily used station outside center city. Be aware of your surroundings, you'll be fine. maybe try some fried chicken.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:05 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
It's not quite as good as Popeye's or Bojangles (though it's still good).

I went out to Olney Transportation Center once a couple years ago on a Saturday to see what it was like, see where the Greyhound station was (Sigler's Travel, the Greyhound station in north Philadelphia, is located 1/2 block away on the west side of Broad just north of Olney), and walk over to La Salle (about 6 blocks to the west on Olney). I could see why some people feel that area is scary, but I didn't find it too bad (mind you, it was a Saturday afternoon during the day). The biggest thing I noticed was there was way too much trash laying around.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:53 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
nothing is wrong with the chicken. but north philly's finest are always hangin out around the establishments.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:43 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
nothing is wrong with the chicken. but north philly's finest are always hangin out around the establishments.
Perhaps Church's makes better coffee than Dunkin' Donuts? (says the guy whose father is a retired cop)

Nevertheless, I think you get the point that not spreading assumptions or stereotypes would respect the diversity of this forum.

To the OP, I would agree that street wisdom and common sense would be useful around that area, perhaps a bit more so around 7PM than 7AM. If you act confident and purposeful, you shouldn't have any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia