Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2007, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,128 times

Advertisements

Hi. This is my first time posting. My family (husband-wife-adult working daughter) will be moving to Philly in early May. I grew up in Mayfair on Brighton St near Roosevelt Blvd. but haven't been there in 25 years. We currently live in Florida. We are looking for a rental or lease option in that area or near Roosevelt Blvd (public transportation) that will accept a small dog (15 lbs.). Our first preference is for a row home or duplex with a fenced backyard. The problem is that we cannot come up ahead of time to look at properties. We need to lease through the internet and snail mail. We are currently paying $1000 per month, plus utilities, and would like to stay in that price range. We are an older couple in our 50's. We do not have any credit problems other than hospital bills, but they are in collection and are on our credit report. We had to leave a larger deposit where we live now (2 years) even though we have no other debts of any kind. We do not want to throw away $50 per person application fees at management companies who would reject us because of the medical bills. We both work full-time but it is going to take years to pay the hospital (employer does not offer health insurance). Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 04:12 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,894,788 times
I originally wanted to move to the Great NE when we moved here. Did TONS of research at phillyblog dot com. But once we got here and drove around it was virtually impossible for us to figure out which was a good neighborhood and what was unsafe. We would find few rentals on Craigslist but I would email the phillyblog people and was told bad hood, etc. Basically, we needed a local person to drive us around and to find the good hoods. Most ads were just a sign in the window, not on craigslist. We ended up on the MainLine because it looked safe and my DH works in Center City and must take SEPTA to work.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:24 PM

97 posts, read 555,406 times
Try Jeanes St/Bustleton/Red Lion area. Row homes, safe. Hard working families and immigrants. $850-900 for remodeled with off-st. parking and private backyards.

Check craigslist.org philadelphia daily.
Search using NE Phila. or Bustleton.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,538 times
I would suggest the Fox Chase/Rhawnhurst neighborhood: Zip 19111. Mayfair is still very nice but getting conjested. I don't know why, but Cottman Ave is always bzy and navigating the streets is getting harder.
Good luck and welcome back!

Old 01-03-2008, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 7,128 times
Thank you for the ideas. I pulled up a few rentals in Fox Chase and many rentals in the Bustleton area. Rhawnhurst seemed to be rather expensive with some of the homes renting for 1100 and up. We also found one lease option in Mayfair but the owner wants immediate occupancy.

I have one more question: Does anyone know how long the medical bills will be held against us? We've been married nearly 30 years and have no other debts. We've always been a cash-and-carry couple, not earning a fancy salary but always able to get by. We were very surprised that our current landlord insisted on a large deposit.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 20,044 times
Almost all of the North East is still really nice, I know Rawhurst, Bustleton, and Fox Chase are nice. I read in the Philadelphia Inquire that Rawhurst's population is around 2/3 older citizens which might be a positive. Mayfair is nice, but I have about three friends at my high school who have moved from their with their families because it was starting to get shady, they were getting jumped and I know a few more people who have moved from there. I am sure most of Mayfair is still nice just maybe a few areas. I know that lots of different races have been starting to move above Cottman which has brought some crime unfortunate to say. I am sure most of the new people from other parts of the city are great just some are bad and bring crime into once nice neighborhoods. I would say to move anywhere in North East including Mayfair although I would not make it my first option.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 PM

9 posts, read 23,719 times
I find the posts about the North East interesting. Does anyone know what the Lawndale area is like? this is close to Rising Sun Ave the R8 SEPTA train and Robins ave Hasbrook ave? Is this a safe area? Thanks
Marshall

Old 05-05-2009, 10:07 PM

692 posts, read 2,352,183 times
Lawndale used to be better than it is now.. I personally dont recommend it. I would stick to right around Cottman and East of Cottman and also North of Frankford. Personally I like the zip codes of 19115, 19116, they are great areas around Busleton/red lion. Also 19154, near franklin mills mall/woodhaven. I can check the MLS if you want for houses listed that have yards and call to ask about the medical bills if they will accept it w them on your report. Do you know what your score is? If you dont I suggest going on myfico.com and purchasing your score so you know where you stand, it will save you some time if someone has a set score in mind theyre looking for you to be above.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:43 AM

144 posts, read 461,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianotuner05 View Post
I find the posts about the North East interesting. Does anyone know what the Lawndale area is like? this is close to Rising Sun Ave the R8 SEPTA train and Robins ave Hasbrook ave? Is this a safe area? Thanks
Marshall
Lawndale is great. I moved here 7 months ago into a great twin with a nice backyard. I prefer the neighborhood north of Levick as there seems to be slightly larger houses/more room. The train station is right where you said it is and its quite easy to get to. Rising Sun Ave has some decent little carry-out restaurants and a quaint diner but not much else to offer. You're still pretty close to an Acme, Shop Rite and Pathmark (all within a mile or so) from most parts of Lawndale. Rent in the area appears cheap as well..or at least from what I've been able to gather from neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia