U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:38 PM

518 posts, read 1,842,683 times

Advertisements

Hi. Have "helped" answer a lot of q's on several other sites but really need some advice myself at this point. Planning on attending the music fest on Memorial Day weekend at Penn's Landing. Are there "boundaries" where crime gets worse? Do we want to look for a hotel north of Penn's Landing or south or find someplace outside the area and take public transportation into the site? Thanks for any and all help.......I want to be as smart as possible about all of this. Have never been to Philly and want to see the historical parts also. Is this area all safe to walk around in? Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 07:56 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Penns Landing Hyatt and Soceity Hill Sheraton would be great choices and easily within walking distance.

If they are booked up stay in a hotel in Center City or University City and take a cab to Penns Landing. I've stayed at the University City Sheraton and wasn't too bad, ditto the Windsor in Center City.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:53 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Another place is the Omni Hotel at 4th and Chestnut. It's in the heart of the historical district and very safe.

The Marriott and Loews, both at 12th and Market are other good choices. It's a nice walk to Penns Landing or easy to reach by public transportation (bus or Frankford El (subway, get off at the 2nd Street stop. It will be very crowded, so I don't know if I would recommend a cab. Even if you stay in University City, you can either take the 21 bus on Chestnut Street or the Frankford El.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:09 AM

Question What about...........the other question........

I'm originally from a big city but am traveling with someone from Vermont who thinks everyplace is as safe as Vermont and is willing to wander anywhere and everywhere. I don't want to wander into a high crime neighborhood by mistake. Are there neighborhoods around that area that would be best left unexplored.......ie, north of historic district, south............could someone please give me specifics of where not to wander..........? Thanks a bunch!!!!

Old 04-07-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
I'm originally from a big city but am traveling with someone from Vermont who thinks everyplace is as safe as Vermont and is willing to wander anywhere and everywhere. I don't want to wander into a high crime neighborhood by mistake. Are there neighborhoods around that area that would be best left unexplored.......ie, north of historic district, south............could someone please give me specifics of where not to wander..........? Thanks a bunch!!!!

You can absolutely walk any direction around Penns Landing and the historic district without fear. You will be perfectly safe.

If you do take Rainrock's advice and stay in University City, I would not suggest walking into West Philly (but personally, I'd recommend you stay within walking distance to Penn's Landing, perhaps at one of the hotels I suggested above.).

Old 04-07-2007, 03:20 PM

468 posts, read 2,167,685 times
If you're from a big city then I'd assume you can tell when you're walking into a rough neighborhood... it's not like you walk over to a sidewalk cafe and get a panini and a cappucino and get mugged on your way out because you didn't realize it was a dangerous 'hood... dangerous hoods typically look uninviting for tourists. During the day, you're probably not going to get jacked even if you do walk down the wrong alley.

If you walk north of Old City you'll hit uninviting expressway overpasses before you get close to a rough neighborhood... South Philly east of Broad is generally pretty safe unless you head way down 5th Street where it's kinda block-to-block. If you want to do some exploring below Center City, Passyunk Ave is a pretty nice walk down to Broad. West of Broad probably isn't a good idea below Bainbridge-ish or so.

You'd have to walk pretty far to enter high crime neighborhoods from Penns Landing. The quickest way to get jacked from there might be to cross the river into Camden

Old 04-08-2007, 09:17 PM

Post Thanks!

No, I'm from Memphis which in and of itself should explain why I want to know which neighborhoods are ok, and which areas are better left for some other tourista to explore.......I know all about the obvious 'changes' or demarcations for the leaving of a neighborhood (interstate exits, train tracks, warehouses, etc..... It's the other stuff that I wondered about. For example, in Memphis, tons of tourists hit Beale Street and the Peabody Place area, clubs, restaurants, and for blocks you can wander and be just fine, but if you wander a couple of blocks in the wrong direction, you might be more likely to be a target of a mugging or maybe some random gang thing gone bad. I just wanted a basic idea of how much was deemed pretty safe, so thank you. The other issue is, someone who is from the city and hears the crime reports and news daily, knows what is up with certain city areas. Those hapless saps/tourists who come in for a long weekend from Vermont don't necessarily know that this area has more drivebys, or is known for its muggings/gangs or drug sales, so just be more aware, etc....... Am looking forward to seeing historic Philly.............thanks.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:59 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Penns Landing is fairly secluded and not many bad areas at all. Due east is the River, south is very safe waterfront, townhomes, strip malls etc. North is a former industrialized area where not much is going on. Due west is Old city which is a very walkable safe community which leads you to Center City which is also safe. Gritty but safe.

The only place you could possible get into trouble is well north of Penns Landing, north of Girard Ave. is pretty sketchy but you would have to go out of your way from Penns Landing to get there.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:44 PM

Post Thanks and yet another question............!

Ok, I see all the hotels on all the travel brochures and websites sponsored by PA, etc..........but does anyone out there know of any hotels/clean, safe motels???? that don't have the words Hyatt, Sheraton, or Hilton in front of them???? We were planning to have some money left over to buy a couple of Philly cheese steaks sandwiches.......and while I am at it, is there a best place anywhere near Penn's Landing for that????????? Never had one. Being from Memphis, if you are ever there, either Corky's or Rendezvous (downtown) is absolutely the best ribs ever........but I have no knowledge of cheesesteak...........

Old 04-09-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
Ok, I see all the hotels on all the travel brochures and websites sponsored by PA, etc..........but does anyone out there know of any hotels/clean, safe motels???? that don't have the words Hyatt, Sheraton, or Hilton in front of them???? We were planning to have some money left over to buy a couple of Philly cheese steaks sandwiches.......and while I am at it, is there a best place anywhere near Penn's Landing for that????????? Never had one. Being from Memphis, if you are ever there, either Corky's or Rendezvous (downtown) is absolutely the best ribs ever........but I have no knowledge of cheesesteak...........
You will be close to Sonny's Famous Steaks at 216 Market Street. Or, if you go to South Street (which you should), Jim's is at 4th and South. They are two well known places. Of course, there are Pat's and Geno's, but I personally don't recommend them.

I don't really know of any motels that are convenient. In addition, I imagine they are all booked. Have you considered using Priceline? Just say you want the downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or