Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 03:54 PM

48 posts, read 178,756 times

Advertisements

I've posted on here before when I began researching possible neighborhoods in Philly where my family might relocate. Thanks to everyone who hellped out before, now I'm looking for some possible suburban choices

When are you moving?
target is Sept '09
Where are you coming from? Boston area
Why are you moving? closer to family, grew up in Philly area
Where will you be working? both of us in downtown Philly most likely
Have you been here yet? yes

Will you buy or rent?
buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? $250,000 or lower
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
married, 1-year old daughter
Do you prefer public or private schools? public
Do you have pets? no
Do you want or need a yard? would be nice, not necessarily a dealbreaker
Are you keeping a car? probably will have 1 car, we'd like to depend on public trans & car sharing alot
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? activity

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping (town square or center)
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
diverse

Coke or Pepsi?

Basically we are looking for a VERY walkable community, within a mile or two of a train station into CC. Would really prefer to be within a 30-40 min or less commute by train to CC. We're open to many different housing types, single-family, multi-family, town/row house. Definitely looking for a safe community with decent schools. Preference might be to be north of city as opposed to somewhere like DelCo, mainly so we can be a bit closer to her family in Connecticut, but I'm still open to suggestions in other areas as well. Already plan on looking into Jenkintown/abington area, and I've heard lots of good things about Media so we'll probably check that area out even though its farther south/west.

We're planning on being in the area in a week to drive around some communities. Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 04:00 PM

Oh, also, as far as amount of space we'd be looking for-- 2 or 3 br, 1100+ sf

Old 05-15-2009, 06:13 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Considering what you are looking for, I was going to recommend Glenside, which is part of Abington Township. Many nice singles w/in a 2-10 minute walk of the train station. It is north of the city. You may also want to consider Jenkintown, and even Elkins Park and Melrose Park. You may wish to look at Hatfield as well (although the town of Hatfield is somewhat uninspiring and has too much traffic going through it). Also, check out Ambler.

If you'd consider west of the city, try Conshohocken.

Your price may limit you as to what you can buy in these areas, but you might find a twin or row in that range.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:03 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times
I currently live in Delco (which I know you said was not necessarily your preference but...) I just sold my 4-5 BR house for 185k You can get a decent sized single home here in my neighborhood of Norwood, PA for a fair price. We have mostly singles and twins. It's somewhat Victorian style with some newer homes speckled in as well. I can walk to the Septa train from my house and its about a 15 minute tops train ride to Center City. Its a 12 minute drive to the airport, and about a 15-20 minute drive to the Philly zoo.

Norwood has a great athletic club for the kids, as well as parades and holiday functions for the neighborhood throughout the year. We do have some ethnic diversity, altho its not as much as other neighborhoods I have seen, but it is getting there. Good Libraries, the police and fire depts. are very involved and friendly with the school and kids. I have been quite pleased with my daughter's school which goes 1-8 grade in one building (3 separate wings) and the full day kindergarten program in their own school building.

John Heinz wildlife refuge is just near here for hiking, biking or canoeing if you like. Not the Limbergh blvd entrance, there is an entrance on 420 also. Other neighborhoods here in our same school district are Glenolden and Propect Park. All Interboro School District.

You could also check out Springfield. It's a little farther, and I am not certain where the train goes there exactly, but it would be a little pricier as the homes go, but my best friend lives there, and it is quite nice also. Good schools as well, Springfield School District.

Happy House Hunting!! PM me if you have any questions about my neighborhood, ok!

By the way...we are only moving b/c the hubby got a great job offer in Florida...so we are flying south! Just in case you were wondering....

Last edited by Parrotrosie; 05-15-2009 at 11:21 PM..

Old 05-16-2009, 04:06 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,906 times
We lived mostly in walkable areas of the city itself while in the metro (Queen Village, University City, etc.), but we liked the area bounded by City Line, Lancaster, Westchester Pike, and the Blue Route in the burbs. We probably would have moved there if we had stayed since we were just outside the Penn Alexander catchment area in West Philly. My first summer in Philly I lived in Hatfield (north), followed by a year in Woodlyn near the airport, back up to Telford for a year, and then the city for 6 years. I also have friends in Glenside that I visited frequently and there was something about the near northern and western burbs I didn't like. To me, it was neither charming like this area nor bucolic like a farther burb, so you didn't get the perks of either. There are charming areas like Media but they are a bit farther and not nearly as convenient in location, in my opinion.

That area is not as crazy expensive as the places north of Lancaster, but many parts have great housing stock with a nice vibe to them. We first started exploring that area because there's a great lighting store in downtown Havertown that we used to restore a Victorian and a 20s house. You would be close to the R5 and the other line which slips my mind that goes to 69th St. Mind you, we haven't lived in PA in four years so we don't how things have fared with the housing bust, but I imagine it hasn't changed all that much.

Last edited by Cato the Elder; 05-16-2009 at 04:14 AM..

Old 05-16-2009, 07:45 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
Second the Delco recommendation but Norwood is a 20+ minute train ride to downtown depending on which station you are going to.

I would recommend Media as you can definitely walk downtown and the train station and the schools are great but the train ride is 35+ minutes. Lansdowne has inexpensive housing and public transportation but bad schools.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:56 AM

711 posts, read 1,511,303 times
I would recommend the Flourtown area.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:30 PM

Thanks everyone who posted so far! Thanks Parrotrosie for the suggestion of Norwood, the proximity to Philly definitely looks like it would meet our qualifications. We'll definitely be looking into all the septa-served communities near Abington: Jenkintown/Glenside/Elkins Park as well as Media.

I grew up near Hatfield in Harleysville, but that's too far from the city for our taste.

Flourtown doesn't appear to have any septa, so that wouldnt work.

Cato, the area you describe sounds like it's close to the Main Line, correct? I doubt we'd be able to afford anything reasonable in that area?

Old 05-16-2009, 01:35 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
You can afford Havertown but I wouldn't call it a walkable suburb - great family friendly place, good schools, close proximity, publich transportation. I would still pick Media though.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:14 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikmasteed View Post
Cato, the area you describe sounds like it's close to the Main Line, correct? I doubt we'd be able to afford anything reasonable in that area?
It's fairly close to the Main Line, but I don't think it's considered a part unless you're on the other side of Haverford Rd. IIRC, prices really plummet once you cross into Delco b/c of schools. You have to look around a bit, but I'm sure you can find a great place in this market since we found some great candidates 5-10 years ago. I have a friend who bought a wonderful old farmhouse (barn included) near Darby and Ardmore with a good size lot at a great price (~$250k). We fell in love with a ca. 1600 sq. ft. English cottage type house that was listed for $269k, albeit on a relatively small lot - completely different feel from the farmhouse. There are different options out there. You can easily live within a mile or two of Lancaster Ave, which I'm sure you know is quite walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia